Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think Yaris steering feel is a bit more direct than the iQ, but the iQ's is good nonetheless, and the car is actually more nimble due to it's size and tighter turning radius. The iQ has a very different tranny with the CVT and all. Engine seems pretty much comparable. The plastics in the iQ are a step up and do not scuff as much. To me the biggest deal with the Yaris is having a full back seat. If that is a real need the Yaris comes out ahead...otherwise the two cars are surprisingly similar in performance, with the iQ presenting itself (by design) as a bit more up-scale.

I must admit, having added a rear swaybar and lighter alloy wheels, the iQ starts to flirt with MINI Cooper territory, especially since it is actually mini.

·
Registered
351 Posts
which Yaris are we talking about? I have the sedan

My iQ makes the sedan feel cheap. Both of my cars are stock and the iQ seats higher with the 16" and I just like how it drives. It doesn't roll back down on hills compared to the Yaris and I feel that driving is just much more stable even though it is a tinier car. The dash was something I had to get used to, it's noticeably bigger than the Yaris and even the seats feel comfier to me. I miss the 8 cupholders, I'm down to 5: 3 in front, 2 in the back. Idk, might just be the new car feel. I barely drive my Yaris now unless it's a longer drive because the main complaint that I have is I can no longer get to Vegas on a half tank of gas. I had to stop twice to fill up the iQ on a recent trip because the gas bar kept blinking.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 5 door hatch. I find your comments about the iQ making the sedan feel cheap interesting because I always felt that the sedan make the hatch seem cheap. So in terms of perceived interior quality, it's iQ>Yaris Sedan>Yaris hatch?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I guess so.. but it depends on what Yaris year you are comparing or maybe the hatch has always looked cheaper? I have an '07 so compared to an '07 hatch, mine is nicer. I recently drove an '12 sedan and I find that compared to it, I like the dash and head unit part of my car better. I think it's more of the creature comforts for me and the iQ has plenty of those to keep me happy. I was active in a Yaris forum and I've heard people complain about the later years being worse(as far as stock components go) compared to the '07 or earlier models

·
Registered
985 Posts
I never had a Yaris sedan....I had a 2009 three-door hatch (my son still has his) and the iQ interior materials seem better, less prone to scuffing. For me the big thing (and I liked my Yaris a lot) was that I felt like I was driving a mini minivan around because I seldom used my back seat, so the iQ is lighter and better packaged for my needs...less to lug around.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think often of the iQ as a "Yaris Extreme." A Yaris owner will feel right at home in the iQ, yet everything about the car is notched up a bit....including it's degree of "smallness".

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think often of the iQ as a "Yaris Extreme." A Yaris owner will feel right at home in the iQ, yet everything about the car is notched up a bit....including it's degree of "smallness".
Dang... where's that "like" button when you need it!
:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Back with an update!
I drove my iQ from LA to San Jose two weeks ago and averaged 30mpg and made 6 fill ups.
Following week, I drove my Yaris and averaged 37mpg and only had 2 fill ups.
I noticed that the iQ struggled on that drive but not as much as the Yaris did, then again my Yaris is 5 years older. Current mileage: iQ 4,400 vs Yaris 84,000

My conclusion? iQ stays as my city car.. Glad I kept my Yaris for the longer drives

1 - 9 of 9 Posts