Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried wrapping the headliner and posts with something else?

I have mine taken apart and I'm working on that now. I'm putting together crushed silver lining with a hand-painted snow leopard pattern in India ink. Should be together again by this weekend.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Hardwood Beige Car Fixture Vehicle Automotive mirror Gesture Hand Automotive mirror Vehicle Automotive lighting Window Hand Comfort Gesture Finger Vehicle Motor vehicle Car White Hood Light Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle door Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Engineering Machine Vehicle Hood Window Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Mirror

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it installed. Good to time to place some sound deadening material in there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you tearing off the old headliner first?
I believe in one of the pics the headliner is GONE.
To the auto upholstery uninitiated (as I was last week): the headliner is just a piece of molded felt board, there's no original lining to tear off. The process is to remove the one and only headliner board and use it for backing/shape. 3M 90 Super spray adhesive in the green can ($15/can) sticks the 2 yards of the somewhat stretchy (for all the curves) material of your choice to it like a duvet. Trim, tuck in, stick down the edges on the back, then shove the whole mess back where you found it (hopefully it still fits and you didn't break any of the plastic tabs its held in with). Same process, same glue for the plastic column covers.

To each their own, but I'm not sure about your choice for replacement material/pattern.
Good. The pattern is entirely custom, as in hand-dyed, one-of-a-kind. Can't wait to see what you dream up for yours. Something in a tribal totem perhaps?

As far as the material the polyester fake crushed velvet is about all you can do if you don't want to go completely insane trying to stretch over all the curves without breaking the backing board. It comes in about 10 colors, but no patterns off-the-shelf. Its only $6/yard so you really can't complain. I looked into upholstery fabrics at upwards of $60/yard but they had no stretch. You'd have to add batten and buttons, maybe even learn to sew. The spray-on glue trick won't work with material that heavy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking forward to seeing it installed. Good to time to place some sound deadening material in there.
Thinkin' the same thing. Going slow and careful, but getting impatient.

And yeah, I've heard of spray-on sound insulating foam, but don't have any handy. I'm thinking of lining the roof and columns with batten from the fabric store while I have them exposed. The token bits of batten it came with are somewhat comical. I probably won't though. I'm too worried that the extra unsupported weight and stuffing might sag the roof line.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a self-stick sound deadening mat that you can roll on.
I forget the name.
I used it on one of my previous vehicles and it works well.
Google for it and you will find the name...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I still drive my 96' Suzuki Sidekick JX. I've actually been driving it for two weeks now because this headliner project has my iQ seat belts off their points. Anywho, 15 years and 210,000 miles in "Tigger", my bouncy Sidekick convertible spoiled my auto audiophile senses. I gotta have me some road noise now or the cabin just seems too "airline pressurized" for my outdoorsy sensibilities.

Many years ago I got excited about a PT Cruiser. Sat down in one, closed the doors and my ears practically popped. I walked away on the spot.

Maybe later I'll worry about sound insulation, but with a stock head unit the kwality just ain't worth it.

Besides the few strips and patches of batting the iQ comes with are enough and strategically positioned (along with extra patches of fiberglass) to damp out the major structural modes in many of the panels. Somebody really did their optimized structural/vibe modeling homework. Looking hard at it again (in pieces) there really isn't room in there for much else.

I was looking at the thickness of the tailgate panel and thinking dropping in a couple of extra 8" speakers back there. But once I got the panel off: there's really no room for much more than a backup camera and tweeters perhaps. The space is clogged up with windshield wiper motor, electronic lock mechanism, and crumple struts.

You'd really have to trim any extra insulation or foam pads very carefully to get it to fit around all the slots, tabs, buttons, snaps, structural beams, and other gear stuffed all around the cabin. I know where the tire pressure sensor microcontrollers are now: there's one on each side mounted in the column forward of the rear window. They're the size of a deck of cards and they're not alone. The top-side of the header's got several plastic guides that are matched to the roof railing leaving not much wiggle room there either. By the time you put that many holes in sound insulation it ain't gonna buy you much for the extra weight.

On the up-side, an extra layer of fabric all around does deaden cabin echo quite a bit compared to the bare plastic it shipped from the factory with. Now that I have black crushed velvet all around the rear it looks and sounds like I intended: like the soft mute inside of my cello's hard case.

We'll see how it sounds on the road, once I get it re-assembled. That will be tonight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done. Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle door Automotive exterior Wood Chair Flooring House Tree More pictures later when the lighting improves. I only did the rear. It looks unfinished until I get the front posts done. But the front ones seem tucked under the dashboard. Looks like we have to take the dashboard apart to get to the feet of them and I was in enough trouble already with this project. Next round: front cabin.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pictures don't begin to do it justice. Its quite cozy in person. The velvet does a lot of different things in different lighting conditions (especially black light). And yes it does dampen out a bit of road noise on its own, but not much really.

It was a rhinoceros wrestle getting all the panels back in and properly seated. Luckily I had a few rhinoceroses on my side at NorCal. Definitely don't approach this project solo if you don't know what you're doing. I made that mistake at first, but with help from friends was able to recover nicely.

Safe to presume my NorCal Scion friends are all biased, but seeing it in person they all reported, to paraphrase: "rear end's gone over to the dark-side".

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
very cool SABQT.congrats on taking on such a unique pattern,you personalized that iq and is so YOURS,thanks for the pics,makes me wanta cuddle in your ride,NOT WITH YOU OF COURSE.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Well played! It looks very cool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
very cool SABQT.congrats on taking on such a unique pattern,you personalized that iq and is so YOURS,thanks for the pics,makes me wanta cuddle in your ride,NOT WITH YOU OF COURSE.
Mission accomplished. Before I bought it I read one reviewer who said "nobody's ever going to get lucky in the back seat of one of these." Later on in the article he mysteriously <cough> changed positions on the matter and claimed to have.

A result is not scientific unless its repeatable.:cool:

And yeah. I "car payment" for life. I've no plans to ever sell my iQ.

Good thing too. That industrial glue I used on the interior panels will still be there when Christ returns. Ruined my fave T-shirt overspraying some of that stuff. Once it sets its done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I upgraded the look yesterday. I finally got around to wrapping the forward posts.
Still contemplating the lower dashboard panels and the doors.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Hood Automotive side-view mirror Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Plant Grass Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WONDERING IF THAT COULD BE to much OF A GOOD THING,is there anything else that would marry to that patter wonderfully?? just throwin it out there?
I had those thoughts as well. I didn't fill in the headliner center for that reason. I meant to fade the pattern out a lot higher on all the posts (front and rear) than I did. I confess I got carried away.
In retrospect the front posts are the only part of it that are really visible from the outside. The pattern's really not all that overpowering from the front seat or outside. It just looks like an organic accent to the iQ's otherwise industrially austere theme, right on the debatable edge between classy and trashy. Its not smothering until you sit in the rear seat...at which point the rear cabin itself is fairly smothering so the concern is somewhat redundant.

As far as "plays well with others": stripes? nope. plaid? nope. polka-dots? heck nope. Flowers? carefully chosen possibly. Company logos? Japanese perhaps. Gothic scroll work? heck yeah! MORE leopard pattern? ...well there's hardly none on the exterior so far...

I'm giving in to an all snow leopard theme. Its just too dang easy. I want more steampunk, but it'll be a few projects before that starts showing up.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice job. Covering the A pillars really ties it all together. I do like the headliner with the border effect, it may have been too busy inside with the entire area decorated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts