Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a little article online called 'Scion iQ: outsmarting the Smart?' written by a Mr Jim Bray of the Canada Free Press. Now, while I realize this car isn't for everyone but this guy actually sounds like he really dislikes this car. This surprises me considering how many people (you people mostly) drive one and love it. I'll post the link to the whole story, if anyone is interested, but here are just a few snippets of his "opinion"...

"The front drive iQ is motivated by a 1.3 liter inline four cylinder engine from which 94 horsepower and 89 lb.-ft. are allowed to ooze gently. Sure, it’s a light car, but that doesn’t make up for its minimal moxie. No, that engine and the enjoyment-sapping continuously variable transmission with which it’s saddled ensure that you have time to eat a sandwich and pick your teeth before you reach highway speed (which could run you afoul of distracted driving laws)."

"I was pulling out of a shopping center in the iQ and some grey haired hippie guy with a ponytail pulled into the lot in front of me, driving his Smart Fortwo smugly. He smiled and waved happily as he passed, nodding his approval to what he assumed was a fellow traveler. Perhaps Scion should equip the iQ with tinted glass, or paper bags for the occupants to wear, so no one can see who’s inside…"

However he does go onto say..

"Alas, the “uberSmart” preconceptions I took into the review were confirmed during my week behind the wheel of Toyota Canada’s test car. I didn’t hate it as much as I hated the Smart (which would be difficult!), but the Scion folks sure didn’t have to pry it from my warm, live hands at the end of the review."

No warm fuzzies there, I'm afraid.

Scion iQ: outsmarting the Smart?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Doesnt suprise me at all.we are a very small few here and there is bound to be WAY WAY WAYYYYYY more people that absolutely hate the IQ, i mean hate it, there will allways be HATERS.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most of these people have a negative opinion even before they drive the car itself, they look at the size and perhaps the HP, listen to there co workers,and think negatively......................GIVE THE IQ A CHANCE, FAIR CHANCE, YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know right? I actually laughed out loud when I read the whole "you have time to eat a sandwich and pick your teeth before you reach highway speed" part. I don't know what highways are like where he's from but I am pretty much speeding by the time I reach the highway from the on ramp.

As someone who drives the car, this is not a sloooow car. I have driven slow cars. It's not super fast either but if I could get a speeding ticket then it's fast enough for me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around here, difference scares people so they attack it. People are just herd animals in cattle town. I have had several people block me from changing lanes in traffic. One guy pulled up behind my car and blocked me in a parking lot till he saw I wasn't going to be an easy one to bully. To be different here can mark you as a target.
:( Seriously, that's sad. It seems like there are a lot of southern Americans who are narrow minded and rude. It could be all the cable TV I watch though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The iQ has also gotten tons of very positive, enthusiastic press from some of the very best. When "why aren't all cars made like this?" and "if you can afford it, buy one now...that is all" are used by top writers it's pretty easy to ignore the rest.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I generally believe everything Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear tells me. He should do a Scion iQ review. He totally sold me on the Ford Fiesta before I bought it when he did car chase through a shopping centre and a Royal Marine beach assault with one. It was quite amusing. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let's be fair though, the American and Canadian view by most are that cubes make a car. So when something fun, funky and running almost no cubes (small engine) it's not going to get the love. You're starting to get the tree hugging thing like us Europeans, but it will be a very long time until your car's/suv's and the like get smaller more economical engines installed in them.

I have now put on my bullet proof, flame retardant suit ready to shot down in flames. :)

Fish

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, there will always be haters.
But there are also always lovers...

For me the lack of power and other amenities we have grown up to know and love are far outweighed by the economy and 'green' factor of the car. Also the 'cuteness' is another draw, I wish I was 18 and single again because this vehicle is definitely a babe magnet...

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I'm on the left coast and within spitting distance of canada, in a college town on top of it...I've gotten wa more love tha hate out here. Most of the negative is people either not liking the look (appearance is subjective. Some think it looks silly, most think it's cute), of suffering from the misconception that small = unsafe. All just shrug and nod approvingly when I tell them the mpg though. But then out here small cars are no big deal. I've seen multiple smarts on the road at the same time. Fiat 500s are starting to show up and you can't throw a stone in a parking lot without chipping the windshield of a mini cooper (and damn are those things misnamed! They look like buics next to my iq)

·
Registered
985 Posts
There is a whole tradition around here regarding muscle cars....in my view it never made much sense and still doesn't....but it is the prevailing culture nonetheless. As such, many automotive writers have drunk that kool-aid and I think those views are reflected in them "not getting" the iQ on occasion. It's a rather sad commentary...again, in my view.

The other day I mentioned to some friends that I had half-a mind (you suspected that, right?) to take my iQ to one of the informal little car shows around here. One of my friends (a muscle car guy) almost chuckled. He caught himself when my other friend agreed whole-heartedly.

It's tough being in the minority view sometimes, but I find myself consoled by the fact that those who really know their business generally see from a broader perspective.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well boff-it-all. The iQ's got seemingly twice the pick-up-n-go my wife's xA has. Its quite middle-of-the-range for the price. Go buy an FR-S if you live where traffic allows a stretch-out. Here in the city the iQ's ninja quick and insanely nimble--just the thing for tight urban traffic. I didn't hear any complaints about performance IN the parking lot.

A clean, lightly-modded iQ holds its own nicely in car shows brimming with long-in-the-tooth muscle cars. Here's my iQ and my wife's xA in the NorCal Scion lineup at last weekend's neighborhood Veterans Memorial charity car show. Sure I got a few laughs, but I gave as good as I got...and my Scion crew knows I can probably smash any of those xB's in a quarter mile. The Shelby across the way...notsomuch--but I can still afford dinner after fueling up.
IMAG0840.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Around here, difference scares people so they attack it. People are just herd animals in cattle town. I have had several people block me from changing lanes in traffic. One guy pulled up behind my car and blocked me in a parking lot till he saw I wasn't going to be an easy one to bully. To be different here can mark you as a target.
How far we have come as a civilized people........ NOT......... these types (killer /hater)should be called out and shot....... we do not need their DNA in the chain.....

Sorry this crap strikes a nerve and needs to stop......

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are defiantly haters out there it is sad, that they have such a closed mind.

I also Ride a scooter it is a 650cc it is not small, and it is fast, I had someone call me a name, Now this person did not know me. The name I thought was funny because it was all their little brain could think of. Now I have a wife and three kids, so the name definitely did not fit me.

But I have not had any negative comments yet for the IQ only positive ones.

I did have a women at a gas station she was in a Scion XB ask me if i fit in that Little car ok. I told her compare the size of the door to your car. This is a little car that does not know or care it is little. Especially now that i have the Freeway blaster horns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts