Scion IQ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a wider tire for my IQ. 205/55/16, but don't want to upgrade my rims. Will a tire this size fit well on my current rims? Am considering the Continental Extreme DWS or the Mastercraft Strategy. Any opinions? Thanks much.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm considering buying a wider tire for my IQ. 205/55/16, but don't want to upgrade my rims. Will a tire this size fit well on my current rims? Am considering the Continental Extreme DWS or the Mastercraft Strategy. Any opinions? Thanks much.
It can be mounted on the steel rims....but the tire is technically too wide for the rim...but it will work....

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have the 205/55-16 all-season Michelin Defenders on my Q, but with 6.5 inch wide 16" alloy wheels.....the tires and wheels look and feel really good, and the tire fits the wheel perfectly with no rubbing anywhere, and I appreciate the added ground clearance and tire width. I would not put that size of tire on the stock 5.5 inch wide 16" steel rims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I am coming to the conclusion that if I want a wider tire, I will need to get new rims as well. Yay! An excuse to get new wheels too! I appreciate the feedback. Will try to post pics when I get the new tires in April. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I debating whether I should get new tires only for my rims (which seems like I have to stay with the 175's) or buy new wheels and tires which would about double the cost of what I originally planned. sigh. Been searching for a really good tire at the 175-60-16 and don't find much. so I may have to bite the bullet and go with wheels and tires. Also do you know what the rim offset is on the wheel you purchased? I am looking at that particular wheel or the MB twist and want to make sure i buy the correct offset for the IQ.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you are wanting to stay with the steel wheels for economic reasons, the 195/55 tires would give you a little added width and not much taller if at all than your stock 175's. The stock 175/60-16s are a odd size, not much out there to choose from at that size. My wheels are the MB Interlines and have a 45 offset...no rubbing whatsoever even with the 205/55-16 tires, and the tires fit the wheels perfectly like they should. I bought my tires and wheels from Discount Tire. They give you a lot more rubber on the ground plus added ground clearance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. Thank you. I am leaning toward new wheels with the wider tire like you have purchased. Must get my being around the sticker shock, but feel it will be worth it in the long run. I am debating between the Continental DWS, or the Defender. Les Schwab (in my small town in NW MT) can get them and I am willing to pay more for the convenience of their service (truly I am 3- 4 hours from any larger tire store). However, they are trying to push me toward the mastercraft strategy, which I had on my last car. But not sure how good they are for the IQ, couple hundred less than the defenders tho. Still pondering….I appreciate the help and feedback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
To throw in my two cents, I have been running 205's on the stock rims for about a month now. Truth be told, I have had no more problems with the 205's than I did with the 175's. The wheels do fill the wheelwells a bit more, but that is really taste as to whether it is good or not. The car is already wriggly and squirmy in stock form under most conditions. My 205's haven't really added more to that. The ones running the rear sway bar may notice more squirminess in the car, but I can't really tell a difference. Mind you, mine are snow tires as well. I just found the stock goodyears to be noisy and somewhat unforgiving. After talking to mistergib after buying the snows, I almost wished I had gotten the defenders in 195 size, but that will have to wait. You CAN do 205's, but it really comes down to taste as to whether that is good or not.

scotf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made my decision and went for it, finally. I purchased the Mastercraft Strategy 205/55/16 and packaged them with American Racing 95 Estrella 16" alloy wheels. I went with Les Schwab due to being in rural Montana, with some bad roads and also wanted the guarantees and service. I am VERY PLEASED with the result!! The wheels look so cool on my IQ and I love the way the wider tires look. The feel of the ride is much softer; less stiff and jarring; much more forgiving than the stock tires. It was like I got new shocks on the car. I got some credit for my stock tires and they gave me a couple other discounts…so was out of there at $840. Which I felt wasn't bad, considering. It already feels well worth the money. I am enjoying my IQ even more now. My hubby jumped into the car the other day and said "I just love this little car." Me too. Thanks for all the advice and help. I will post pics when I can wash the car, too cold right now!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made my decision and went for it, finally. I purchased the Mastercraft Strategy 205/55/16 and packaged them with American Racing 95 Estrella 16" alloy wheels. I went with Les Schwab due to being in rural Montana, with some bad roads and also wanted the guarantees and service. I am VERY PLEASED with the result!! The wheels look so cool on my IQ and I love the way the wider tires look. The feel of the ride is much softer; less stiff and jarring; much more forgiving than the stock tires. It was like I got new shocks on the car. I got some credit for my stock tires and they gave me a couple other discounts…so was out of there at $840. Which I felt wasn't bad, considering. It already feels well worth the money. I am enjoying my IQ even more now. My hubby jumped into the car the other day and said "I just love this little car." Me too. Thanks for all the advice and help. I will post pics when I can wash the car, too cold right now!! :)
Good morning,
Is you're iq still running?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts