Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this was a fun learning experience...

I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how the hell I'm supposed to start my car if the key won't turn.

Apparently if you turn the wheel after you turn the car off, it locks the wheel...ok, not an unusual feature on newer cars. Turn the key and it should unlock.

Except it also locks the ignition! Nobody thought to inform me of this handy little security feature until I had to call the dealership from the parking lot at work and ask them how the hell to unlock my wheel.

Turns out you have to turn the wheel and the key at the same time, and you tunr the wheel in the direction it;s *already* turned. The tech guy at the dealership just told me to turn it left (and it was heeled over right). Nope, Turn it left if the wheel is locked to the left, right if it;s locked the right...

Anyway, I suppose it;s cool to have the extra security but it would have been nice if they'd told me LOL

·
Registered
989 Posts
No...it functions like every other lockable ignition/steering wheel that I've owned
before.....the reason you have to turn it in the direction it was locked is that you
have to take the turning pressure off before it will unlock. If you turned it right
when you locked it, then to relieve that lock pressure, you have to turn it a little
farther right to release it...same holds true if you were turning left, you would have
to turn it a little farther left to release it.......it's been that way for as long as I
can remember, and thats a very long time! Its nothing new.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Mister gib talks as hes as old as the hills, and that for me holds true, lol, sorry sir, couldnt help myself.im 42 and this is how ive allways known it to be as well.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No car I've ever owned has done that. Granted, we've mostly had older cars, but the Pontiac is only about ten years old, it doesn't do that.
None of my friends I mentioned it to knew about it either. Maybe it's just Japanese cars?

Regardless, it was a shock to me ;-)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think all my cars have done that. I know for certain my first car a '72 Ford Galaxy 500 did that. I don't think it is any kind of security feature but just the steering putting pressure on the key lock cylinder putting it in a bind.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You would be amazed at the number of cars that have been towed into our shop for that problem. Makes them feel kind of DUH... When I tell them they all do that..

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Hey Cliffjumper, one thing that we can count on here is the hard knocks that we receive as we learn...........

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Seriously? Weird. Granted, the old thunderbird had been stolen once so the ignition was kinda funky but I swear the pontiac never did that. I don't remember any other car I drove doing that. Maybe I just never managed to lock it? I mean, how often does one turn the wheel after the car is off? Still, none of my friends knew about it. Everyone I talked to knew that the wheel will lock but nobody knew about the ignition also locking up. They all said you just turn the car on and it unlocks the wheel...

Lol, oh well live and learn.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Its okay friend, dont be hard on yourself, im stupid to to, ha, kidding cliff.and yes like you said, who cranks the wheel once youve turned of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts