Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 461 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 300 miles on my newly acquired IQ, but was suprised to see I am only getting 30.5 mpg as indicated by the onboard display. The engine is far from run in, and will hopefully improve once it has, but I'm wondering if other North American owners are seeing similar numbers on their new cars?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i believe i am getting about the same,im in b.c.it is rather suprising with the size of the car and all.i get about 300k per tank which i thought was ok,BUT i thought it was a 25 litre tank,but found out today it is around 37 litres,so yeah it really is the shits on fuel,and ive bin very mild with it till its broken in,and once it is i will be driving it much harder.oh well the price you pay to be unique i guess,but it is much better than my 09 nissan cubewhich got between 17 and 20 mpg.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
at the curretn MPG i will get around 259 miles or 432K, which doesn't seem to gel with your numbers. Also my 8.5 US gallon tank convers to 32 litres, so amybe ther are some significant differnces ?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
WOW.432 k,that will be nice if i can reach that #,best i got from a tank is 350 k.but of course i didnt run it out,that waqs till there was one flashing bar remaining.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've only done a couple of small fills, which really decreases the accuracy, but it's about 33 MPG so far.

I've signed up on www.fuelly.com which is free. They don't have a Scion iQ vehicle yet, but they emailed me that as soon as I post my third fill they'll add the vehicle. I encourage others to use Fuelly too, as it's a good way to judge if your mileage fits within the norm for your car. The more participating, the better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been tracking each fill up as follows:
1: 37.21 mpg
2: 34.80 mpg
3: 31.86 mpg
4: 33.37 mpg
5: 18.92 mpg (not sure what happened here; car was at dealer getting accessories installed)
6: 34.63 mpg
7: 33.15 mpg
8: 32.87 mpg
Average for 1,450 miles: 32.93 mpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
JLStrange It sounds like you had someone at the Dealer, that was a throttle monkey, and wanted to make sure you car is broken in properly, either that or they pumped some gas out of your tank.

Since i installed my Rear Sway Bar, i am thinking my new gas Mileage will be around 30-32mpg as it will be driven harder.

But i will post my new mileage

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas. Average MPG was 34 for the trip. Two adult males and luggage in the back. Not to shabby.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been tracking each fill up as follows:
1: 37.21 mpg
2: 34.80 mpg
3: 31.86 mpg
4: 33.37 mpg
5: 18.92 mpg (not sure what happened here; car was at dealer getting accessories installed)
6: 34.63 mpg
7: 33.15 mpg
8: 32.87 mpg
Average for 1,450 miles: 32.93 mpg
What is your driving style like? Have you tried hypermiling? How often do you drive on highways/freeways?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have only 2 fillups so far and I got 35mpg on the first and am sitting at 42mpg on the current one. I did manage to get it up to 45.8 avg. but that didnt last long hehe

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
My favorite thing is when I'm driving down hill or coasting and my information center tells me I'm getting 99.9 MPG! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do half freeway, half side streets, mostly with one or two passengers, and I get about 33MPG. Lots of hills where I live. Even the driveway up to my condo is a giant hill. I even have to engine-brake when I roll down. That's how steep the drive way is. :-/

·
Registered
160 Posts
So far I've found the car's MPG trip computer to be shockingly accurate. Within 1 MPG so far.

I'm getting the sense, without having done the testing yet, that the ideal speed for best MPG is going to be very low, maybe under 40 MPH. That's different than most cars, where it's around 50-55 MPH. The smart ForTwo that I had for 2 years was best at 55 MPH, and I could achieve 56 MPG on a long freeway drive if I stayed at that speed.

I think this iQ is likely optimized for much slower city driving in its CVT logic.

1 - 20 of 461 Posts