Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm everyone's been asked this question at least once. But seeing as how most engines made in the past decade are engineered to take both even though a lot of them recommend using only premium. So whats your 2 cents about about this topic?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just go with whatever the manufacturer recommends. They always have actual data to back up their recommendation. Its not like they have a stake in the gas companies. If that was the case then every manufacturer would only recommend premium.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use regular, I used one tank of premium but it seems that in city driving the Eco light never came on and i seem not to have gotten as good of gas mileage, as on regular

·
Registered
985 Posts
I use regular ol' regular like I did in my Yaris. This is great after owning several MINI Coopers that seemed to like drinking premium. Glad to get out of that scene, and the Yaris was seeming a wee bit too big for me. I generally fill up once a week in my iQ, maybe adding 6 gallons or so. Sweet!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
what difference betwin premium and regular? in Europe only 95ron and 95E10 (with 10% Ethanol)
We have all unleaded gasoline. The "regular" is 87 octane "premium" is 91 octane. Glad to say our iQ's are designed to run on regular gas. =)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would just use premium. Not because people say you get better mileage. Not because people say it makes it run faster. But mainly because most premium gases don't have ethanol mixed in. Also premium gases can remain stable in your tank way longer than regular gas. Meaning if ever for some reason you're unable to start it up for a long time it wont gunk up the fuel lines.
Not true. That's a huge waste of money to use Premium in an engine designed to run on Regular.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would NOT Run Premium in your IQ, It is not good to Try going back and fourth between premium & Regular Gas, in a car designed for Regular gas, (like the IQ)
The ECM/computer adjusts to the fuel that a engine runs on.

while the engine is suppose to Run on Regular gas switching to premium, or back and fourth to different grades of fuel could cause you some problems, like possible pinging when changing back to regular, while ECM is adjusting back.

It is possible, as the IQ has a high compression engine, and the ECM does can adjust to compensate.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Gas octane?

I will try to enlighten you....unless you live at high altitude, I'd be for
using 91 octane rating.....even your manual states to use 87 mid-grade
or higher. It states that using lower octane would also lower your mpg.

Why you ask....when you read your manual, you will find out that our
1.3L motors have a 11.5 to 1 compression ratio.....that's getting up
there close to race engine levels. The higher the compression, the
higher level of octane is needed for proper operation and performance.
I was quite surprised when I read what our compression ratio was in
this little motor of ours!

If you live at high altitude, you could probably get by with the 87 octane.
Just some food for thought......but I will be using the 91 octane, and I live
in the Denver area of high altitude Colorado....I just think it would be better
on the motor in the long run and help the mpg a little??

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use the 87 octane Shell and around town (with3428 miles on the car) getting 48+ MPG. The driving is all stop and go, up and down small grades.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I've been using the "Cheap" gas 87 octane and was wondering why I'm not getting the mpgs in the 40's like a lot of people here. So on the last fillup thought I'd try the midgrade 89 octane. I got 40.2 mpgs on the last fillup with 87, I'll see what the 89 does on this tank but I think I should just stick with the 87 and leave it alone. Theres 1670 miles on the car now and it seems to be improving with each fillup.

I've been filling up at the cheaper mom & pop gas station, maybe I should start using Shell as well.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
GAS???,damn,thats why my car hasent started for 3 weeks,lol,many people have asked if it is electric cuzz they could never see the exhaust all tucked up under the car,thinkin now if they see the ass end they will not ask anymore. Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I've been using the "Cheap" gas 87 octane and was wondering why I'm not getting the mpgs in the 40's like a lot of people here. So on the last fillup thought I'd try the midgrade 89 octane. I got 40.2 mpgs on the last fillup with 87, didn't check the mpgs until after I filled up with the 89, I'll see what the 89 does on this tank but I think I should just stick with the 87 and leave it alone. Theres 1670 miles on the car now and it seems to be improving with each fillup.
Well I got that 40.2 mpgs using 87 then I filled up with the 89 and that tank gave me 33.2 mpgs. I'm thinking Damn.....so after that tank I went back to the 87 and got the buggy back up to 38.1 , guess I should have stuck with the 87............Have any of you guys had a similar experience ?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Well I got that 40.2 mpgs using 87 then I filled up with the 89 and that tank gave me 33.2 mpgs. I'm thinking Damn.....so after that tank I went back to the 87 and got the buggy back up to 38.1 , guess I should have stuck with the 87............Have any of you guys had a similar experience ?
nope,my IQ still sucks on mpg,PUN INTENDED.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
nope,my IQ still sucks on mpg,PUN INTENDED.
You know what my friend ? I believe my Buggy is broken in enough now and I'm like you and can afford the gas. I'm thinking that I should enjoy my MOONBUGGY for all it has to offer instead of looking for all it can give. To hell with the ECO light and it's time to enjoy it instead of stressing out about how much better it can do !

See what you did ! Ha Ha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts