181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody de-badge their iQ yet?:confused:

Instructions? Tips? Techniques?:confused:

And what (if anything) to fill the void with?:confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes mine were removed the other weekend.

1. Best way to remove them are heat them gently with a hairdryer (or a heat gun at VERY LOW tempretures) to soften the sticky pads on the back of the badge.
2. Bit of fishing line or sting gently pull at one end of the badge. If the pads are tacky they should lift off with the badges.
3. Once the badges and sticky pads are removed, you'll need to polish that panel. I know it sounds stupid, but if you run a wet clothe over the area you'll still see the badge holograms.

Fish

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes mine were removed the other weekend.

1. Best way to remove them are heat them gently with a hairdryer (or a heat gun at VERY LOW tempretures) to soften the sticky pads on the back of the badge.
2. Bit of fishing line or sting gently pull at one end of the badge. If the pads are tacky they should lift off with the badges.
3. Once the badges and sticky pads are removed, you'll need to polish that panel. I know it sounds stupid, but if you run a wet clothe over the area you'll still see the badge holograms.

Fish

And what about the rivets? When I had the rear hatch interior panel off I saw the rear badge at least (and probably the forward one) seems to have two pins driven through the outer sheet metal. I gave 'em a tap, but I think they have to be pulled along with melting the glue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Oh I think you're talking the main badges front and rear? I just removed the little iQ and Toyota (Scion in your case) badges, not the main bigger items.

Fish

·
Registered
3 Posts
To rebadge you US Toyota Scion iQ to Europe style Toyota iQ, you will need

Hood Emblem 75331-0T010 “You will need to grind or cut off the two alignment prongs.”
Luggage Emblem 75431-02080
Additional back “Toyota” 75446-52050

From
75431-02080 - OEM Toyota EMBLEM, LUGGAGE COMP

Also fishing line, masking tape and 3M glue removal.
See YouTube videos on how to remove badges.

Please note when removing the front badge, that you will need to mask all around the emblem because it is inset into the hood and you could cut into the paint with the fishing line.

In my personal opinion, by replacing the Scion plastic badges with these triple coated chrome badges it does 1) puts the quality back in the “Q” of “iQ” for which the “Q” means, 2) Send a notice to Toyota that they should have never rebadge the Toyota iQ to a Scion iQ to begin with for the US market.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The front badge has no pins but a triangular cutout that the badge snaps into. It also aligns it. The cutout (if I recall) is about 1.25" long and about .5" high.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually they all came off easier than all that. Brand new car: adhesive hadn't really hardened. Credit card, some adhesive solvent, a few microfiber cloths, fingernails, and some elbow grease. Had it done, front-to-back, in 20 minutes out in the parking lot at the meet last night. Props to Pops and my other brother Larry for helping me gettin' it done. Gave Pops the monster big badge off the front for his trouble (He'd debadged his wife's xB and she wanted one back). Hear the big ones off the front are worth ~$50 or so @ market.

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Left 2 1/8th-inch holes in the back and a weird Chevy-slot-looking hole in the front. Probably drive it blank for a while before I rebadge it with somethin' else.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Isn't the front badge size unique to the iQ? I believe it is larger than other scions. I measure it as 6.25"x4.25" (160mmx110mm).

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Isn't the front badge size unique to the iQ? I believe it is larger than other scions. I measure it as 6.25"x4.25" (160mmx110mm).
i believe so,i went to c about ordering a new one fron toyota to get it custom painted,they wantes 85$,no thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i believe so,i went to c about ordering a new one fron toyota to get it custom painted,they wantes 85$,no thanks
Yes, the front badge is VERY rare/expensive/soon-to-be collector's item ala Rolls Royce flying ladies. Were I all of you I'd debadge immediately and keep it somewhere safe, just because its so easy for somebody to walk by and credit-card it off your nose: takes about 15-20 seconds! Its the glue underneath that took me the rest of the 20 minutes, and thieves won't care about that.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Yes, the front badge is VERY rare/expensive/soon-to-be collector's item ala Rolls Royce flying ladies. Were I all of you I'd debadge immediately and keep it somewhere safe, just because its so easy for somebody to walk by and credit-card it off your nose: takes about 15-20 seconds! Its the glue underneath that took me the rest of the 20 minutes, and thieves won't care about that.
SO IS THERE HOLES LEFT ON EITHER FRONT OR BACK,OOOOPS CAPS LOCK off,where the badges were,i will be doing my IQ logo this weeken and installing my shark fin anntene{thanks surfcitylocal} and if there are no holes i will do those as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any ideas as to what to replace it with? They do leave holes and dimples that look...hacked.

Ideas so far:
-forged gothic-style Scion logo (and by "forged" I'm talking sand molds and bronze casting. I've done it before.)
-Superman logo
-Batman logo (only icon I can think of that's actually oval and would fit correctly)
-Thundercats logo
...?

Apparently I watched a lot of cartoons "growing up".

And the pre-drilled holes are giving me bad ideas about running LED wiring...

Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Any ideas as to what to replace it with? They do leave holes and dimples that look...hacked.

Ideas so far:
-forged gothic-style Scion logo (and by "forged" I'm talking sand molds and bronze casting. I've done it before.)
-Superman logo
-Batman logo (only icon I can think of that's actually oval and would fit correctly)
-Thundercats logo
...?

Apparently I watched a lot of cartoons "growing up".

And the pre-drilled holes are giving me bad ideas about running LED wiring...

Anybody else?
yes,some might wanna clothes there eyes,but,i will be puting the charles darwin evolution fish on the back,not sure bout the front,im thinkin the double helix,DNA strand which is allso tatooed on my neck.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
yes,some might wanna clothes there eyes,but,i will be puting the charles darwin evolution fish on the back,not sure bout the front,im thinkin the double helix,DNA strand which is allso tatooed on my neck.
oh and where the IQ was,i got a gunmetal grey,very close to the colour of the car,traditional,vinyl alienhead.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts