Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not going to go into details just yet because i haven't reported it to my insurance company just yet, but suffice to say my passenger side mirror just got snapped off. good news is the mirror itself, the lights, motors and the outer cover are all fine and working and i stuck it back on with duct tape for now...but the turn signal lense, the main black plastic structural framework, and the bit it mates to on the door are all FUBAR.

haven't reported it yet because chances are it's lower than my deductable. Has anyone else had to have their mirror repaired/replaced and if so how much did it run?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
That sucks. No idea what that whole assembly would run, the mirror glass runs about 60 bucks at the dealer. Hope that's not an indication of what it will run for the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Sorry Cliffjumper :( ! I have not hurt my buggy yet...Knock on Wood. I'd really be pissed off at myself if I did ! For something minor like that, although $$$ wise it's not, I wouldn't claim it on my insurance, I want my rates to stay low just in case.....Knock on Wood again...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
i did the same to my nissan cubes mirror but did claim it cuzz the next evening at a local river i did a massive jump with my 09 cube came down HARD on the front end and did 4000$,so the claim went in with that,funny, people that take such care of their vehicles often have this crap happen.ive jumped my iq 3 times now with no dammage,sorry to hear cliffjumper.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
half tempted to just have them order the parts and diy the labor. hardest part is getting the cover and mirror off, and i already accomplished that

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got off the phone with service. the only orderable parts for the mirror are the exterior cover, the glass and the lens. for anything else they have to get me a whole new mirror assembly, motr lights, cover and all. cost for that is about $281, plus $60 to have them stick it on. i'll just have it all done when i go to get my mic installed (maybe save me the labor charge that way).

i'm going to ask them to give me all the motor and lighting junk off the old one, sure i'll come up with a use, and i can hawk the glass on ebay ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
just got off the phone with service. the only orderable parts for the mirror are the exterior cover, the glass and the lens. for anything else they have to get me a whole new mirror assembly, motr lights, cover and all. cost for that is about $281, plus $60 to have them stick it on. i'll just have it all done when i go to get my mic installed (maybe save me the labor charge that way).

i'm going to ask them to give me all the motor and lighting junk off the old one, sure i'll come up with a use, and i can hawk the glass on ebay ;-)
Excellent idea. Maybe get some of your cash back.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, yes, that's the word I was going for, Gokart.

And thanks for the link, cor but that's not what I need.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Crap!!! I just realized that the listing is for the power folding module only, and doesn't include the mirrors, so I guess that wouldn't help you. My bad.

I thought you could upgrade for less than the cost of a stock replacement, but the sneaky sellers almost got me.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Though maybe a power folding module might be handy to prevent future mishaps ;-)

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, udates and background all around.

Since I'm not sending this to the insurance, here's the whole story.

My landlord has been leaving his damned ladders in my carport and I was tired of banging my driver's door on them every time I got out...so I started parking close to the house. Too close, as it turns out. I was backing out monday morning looking behind me like a good driver...and not looking at my passenger side and how close to the bloody house I was. Snapped the mirror right off.

But no other damage, the cover popped off, glass popped out, no cracks scuffs or breaks on those important pieces...just the main thing that holds everything together was shattered.

Ok, fine, duct tape it back on til I can get to the dealer.

Then fucking YESTERDAY I'm on my way to NAPA to get tap-ins for my badges and some fucknut comes flying up the narrow little drive I'm in pulling into the little strip mall from a side street. he;s flying, blaring the horn, so i junk to the right to give him space. He sails past me jut barely avoiding my driver's mirror.

However, I did not manage to avoid the fucking dumpster on my right. not only did it take the mirror off again, but this time it put a gouge in the wrap and, just to kick me in the balls, scraped the shit out of my right front cutout and the wrap in front of and just behind the wheel.

Good news is there's no real body damage, just the paint and wrap are frelled, but only on that corner and the mirror.

Bad news is because I didn't get his plate number (He saw I nicked a dumpster and took off immediately) and there was no physical contact with his vehicle my insurance company says it's not a hit and run so if they cover it it'll be against my collision with a $500 deductible as opposed to the $200 hit and run deductible. I told the insurance lady that next time i'll just slam the brakes and let the fucker hit me so they can pay to replace my bumper and all 11 airbags too rather than try to avoid an accident and get fucked for my trouble.

My wrap guy said he could fix the wrap on the mirror and patch the bumper wrap for free (because he's awesome!) but to fix the cutout we're going to have to order some gloss black and essentially cover both front cutouts in gloss black (so they match), then to fix the gouge in the wrap on the side pannel we're going to do carbon fiber and run it from the gouge down, under the dor and back up to the same point in front of the rear wheel, then repeat on the other side so it looks like a carbon fiber skid plate.

That sounds sweet, and he's only going to charge me $75 and that's mainly because the carbon fiber wrap material is a little pricier.

So here's a question: Should I have him cover all four cutouts in carbon fiber while he's got it, or should I just leave the back ones bare and go for gloss black on the front to keep the gloss black vs red theme?
It'll probably cost me more to turn them all carbon but it might look cool. Or it might be overkill.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Ok, udates and background all around.

Since I'm not sending this to the insurance, here's the whole story.

My landlord has been leaving his damned ladders in my carport and I was tired of banging my driver's door on them every time I got out...so I started parking close to the house. Too close, as it turns out. I was backing out monday morning looking behind me like a good driver...and not looking at my passenger side and how close to the bloody house I was. Snapped the mirror right off.

But no other damage, the cover popped off, glass popped out, no cracks scuffs or breaks on those important pieces...just the main thing that holds everything together was shattered.

Ok, fine, duct tape it back on til I can get to the dealer.

Then fucking YESTERDAY I'm on my way to NAPA to get tap-ins for my badges and some fucknut comes flying up the narrow little drive I'm in pulling into the little strip mall from a side street. he;s flying, blaring the horn, so i junk to the right to give him space. He sails padst me jut barely avoiding my driver's mirror.

However, I did not manage to avoid the fucking dumpster on my right. not only did it take the mirror off again, but this time it put a gouge in the wrap and, just to kick me in the balls, scraped the shit out of my right front cutout and the wrap in front of and just behind the wheel.

View attachment 1225 View attachment 1226

Good news is there's no real body damage, just the paint and wrap are frelled, but only on that corner and the mirror.
My wrap guy said he could fix the wrap on the mirror and patch the bumper wrap for free (because he's awesome!) but to fix the cutout we're going to have to order some gloss black and essentially cover both front cutouts in gloss black (so they match), then to fix the gouge in the wrap on the side pannel we're going to do carbon fiber and run it from the gouge down, under the dor and back up to the same point in front of the rear wheel, then repeat on the other side so it looks like a carbon fiber skid plate.

That sounds sweet, and he's only going to charge me $75 and that's mainly because the carbon fiber wrap material is a little pricier.

So here's a question: Should I have him cover all four cutouts in carbon fiber while he's got it, or should I just leave the back ones bare and go for gloss black on the front to keep the gloss black vs red theme?
It'll probably cost me more to turn them all carbon but it might look cool. Or it might be overkill.
i would have to say,since it seems like you have the WORST luck known to mankind,i would leave them black ans save the 75$ for your next INCIDENT,oops couldnt resist.i would have chased that shithead down.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The $75 is to do a sort of fake skid plate to cover that gouge in the side.
I'm not sure how much he;d charge me to do the insets as carbon but yeah, I think I'll stick to the gloss black.

And yes, the guy is lucky that I was too pissed off to remember I carry a gun.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The $75 is to do a sort of fake skid plate to cover that gouge in the side.
I'm not sure how much he;d charge me to do the insets as carbon but yeah, I think I'll stick to the gloss black.

And yes, the guy is lucky that I was too pissed off to remember I carry a gun.
well i kinda meant maybe just to tell him how much of a shithead he is,i dont hurt people,ANYMORE.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's something I;d thought about, and now I'm wishing I;d gone for it LOL

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Im gunna look into that.Sattan black of course, curious if i can fnd someone that does this locally and cost. Uh Oh, here we go..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts