Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Scion iQ with ~50K miles. Only modification is a K&N oem replacement filter. Oil is in good condition, I cleaned the TPS and I have no CEL or Traction warnings dash is clear. Any idea of what could this be??? I'm afraid it could be a transmission issue...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
837 Posts
I just installed a K&N filter in mine. I noticed the original filter is thicker towards the front of the car, and thin towards the rear. I had to take some time to figure out how to orient the K&N the proper way. There are two rectangular notches in both filters that line up with notched areas towards the front and anatomical left. So the thicker side of the K&N actually faces the rear. I would check the MAF sensor to see if it is gunked up, and verify the filter is oriented properly so no debris get through.

If you have re-oiled yours there is concern of over oiling, and oil may have gotten onto the MAF. I use the aerosol spray oil and weigh it before and after oiling to get the proper amount of oil and a more decent distribution/spread. The correct oil amount is on the box, and is also conveniently listed on the specs page of the filter on the K&N site.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
837 Posts
BTW-. Used to be that K&N had a million mile warranty. Seems like they inserted 10-YEAR/Million Mile Limited Warranty. When did the 10-Year come into play? Useless for me considering how long I keep a car....

·
Registered
223 Posts
my personal opinion is that the K&N filter does more harm than good.

I just installed a K&N filter in mine. I noticed the original filter is thicker towards the front of the car, and thin towards the rear. I had to take some time to figure out how to orient the K&N the proper way. There are two rectangular notches in both filters that line up with notched areas towards the front and anatomical left. So the thicker side of the K&N actually faces the rear. I would check the MAF sensor to see if it is gunked up, and verify the filter is oriented properly so no debris get through.

If you have re-oiled yours there is concern of over oiling, and oil may have gotten onto the MAF. I use the aerosol spray oil and weigh it before and after oiling to get the proper amount of oil and a more decent distribution/spread. The correct oil amount is on the box, and is also conveniently listed on the specs page of the filter on the K&N site.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
837 Posts
Whenever it's time to change the air filter, I first look for a CARB EO#ed intake. Then I look for a dry/synthetic filter. Lastly, I'll look for a K&N. I have read of stories that turbos got damaged due to dust passing through. I notice that K&N has recently backed their filters with a performance type warranty, that if the damage was caused because of using their filter, they would help address the issue and help with repair cost.

My wife's C-MAX Energi has one, and the iQ now has one. I had installed one in an '85 Mercedes 300D. They seem to breathe better after installation. (I notice less engine roar/noise). Whether the decreased filtration efficiency is causing harm, I haven't reached a point where I can determine that....

·
Registered
2 Posts

K&N 33-2486
This filter is smaller and angled than oem
Do i have the correct one?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
837 Posts
K&N 33-2486
This filter is smaller and angled than oem
Do i have the correct one?
I checked K&N website and that's the correct part number for 1.3 L and 1.0 L gas engines. For some reason it doesn't show a filter for the 1.4 L diesel. The height may be different, but length and width should match exactly? Those dimensions should be exactly the same otherwise won't make a good seal.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
837 Posts
Found this:

K&N part # 33-2988 is for the 1.4 L diesel.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts