Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Scion iQ with ~50K miles. Only modification is a K&N oem replacement filter. Oil is in good condition, I cleaned the TPS and I have no CEL or Traction warnings dash is clear. Any idea of what could this be??? I'm afraid it could be a transmission issue...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
905 Posts
I just installed a K&N filter in mine. I noticed the original filter is thicker towards the front of the car, and thin towards the rear. I had to take some time to figure out how to orient the K&N the proper way. There are two rectangular notches in both filters that line up with notched areas towards the front and anatomical left. So the thicker side of the K&N actually faces the rear. I would check the MAF sensor to see if it is gunked up, and verify the filter is oriented properly so no debris get through.

If you have re-oiled yours there is concern of over oiling, and oil may have gotten onto the MAF. I use the aerosol spray oil and weigh it before and after oiling to get the proper amount of oil and a more decent distribution/spread. The correct oil amount is on the box, and is also conveniently listed on the specs page of the filter on the K&N site.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
905 Posts
BTW-. Used to be that K&N had a million mile warranty. Seems like they inserted 10-YEAR/Million Mile Limited Warranty. When did the 10-Year come into play? Useless for me considering how long I keep a car....

·
Registered
242 Posts
my personal opinion is that the K&N filter does more harm than good.

I just installed a K&N filter in mine. I noticed the original filter is thicker towards the front of the car, and thin towards the rear. I had to take some time to figure out how to orient the K&N the proper way. There are two rectangular notches in both filters that line up with notched areas towards the front and anatomical left. So the thicker side of the K&N actually faces the rear. I would check the MAF sensor to see if it is gunked up, and verify the filter is oriented properly so no debris get through.

If you have re-oiled yours there is concern of over oiling, and oil may have gotten onto the MAF. I use the aerosol spray oil and weigh it before and after oiling to get the proper amount of oil and a more decent distribution/spread. The correct oil amount is on the box, and is also conveniently listed on the specs page of the filter on the K&N site.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
905 Posts
Whenever it's time to change the air filter, I first look for a CARB EO#ed intake. Then I look for a dry/synthetic filter. Lastly, I'll look for a K&N. I have read of stories that turbos got damaged due to dust passing through. I notice that K&N has recently backed their filters with a performance type warranty, that if the damage was caused because of using their filter, they would help address the issue and help with repair cost.

My wife's C-MAX Energi has one, and the iQ now has one. I had installed one in an '85 Mercedes 300D. They seem to breathe better after installation. (I notice less engine roar/noise). Whether the decreased filtration efficiency is causing harm, I haven't reached a point where I can determine that....

·
Registered
4 Posts

K&N 33-2486
This filter is smaller and angled than oem
Do i have the correct one?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
905 Posts
K&N 33-2486
This filter is smaller and angled than oem
Do i have the correct one?
I checked K&N website and that's the correct part number for 1.3 L and 1.0 L gas engines. For some reason it doesn't show a filter for the 1.4 L diesel. The height may be different, but length and width should match exactly? Those dimensions should be exactly the same otherwise won't make a good seal.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
905 Posts
Found this:

K&N part # 33-2988 is for the 1.4 L diesel.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Toyota IQ 2009 1.0
10 Posts
Which transmission do you have?
On all models of the IQ with the manual gearbox, a common issue is premature worn out clutch due to overheating. With how small the clutch and flywheel is, it has terrible thermal dissipation, so people living in hilly areas or people who slips the clutch a lot will either wear it out quickly or glaze it over, leading to slippage. The autos need to have their fluid changed a little more often then what Toyota officially recommends, in my opinion.

There has been service bulletins for the intake gaskets and exhaust manifold on the diesel models in Norway due to bad acceleration. The exhaust manifold has sometimes warped or had premature gasket failure, and the intake is all plastics and rubber gaskets on all models, so its not uncommon for them to start leaking with these cars reaching older ages now. A little know-how and starter fluid/gas goes a long way in tracking down leaks

Another common issue on diesels is the EGR clogging, this happens when the car is not taken for long drives in a long time. On long drives, the car will go through a regen procedure where it burns out deposits in the exhaust system, if this is not allowed to occur it will clog eventually, choking the car off and leading to bad acceleration.

it might also be a voltage issue. If the battery is not sufficiently charged, or too worn (voltage too low, or drops too easily.) the electronic throttle body will not work as fast/correctly. The ECU can compensate for this, but it might be a little erratic or occasionally be very sluggish, due to the throttle body not opening wide or fast enough. When changing the battery or disconnecting it, it will need to relearn how to keep itself happy, so the idle will be off and the throttle will be a little slow until it has relearned everything.

hope any if this info will help :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts