Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local Scion dealer to pick up some oil filters for the iQ. I like to do my own oil changes and even though Scion offers free oil changes for three years I still wanted to do it myself.

That was until I found out the oil filter is the canister type. You don't replace the entire filter like a normal car, just the inside paper filter. It's $11 us for the filter and usually a messy job replacing those. I decided to let Scion do the oil changes until I run out of free ones.

I'll just pay the difference between the normal oil change charge and the synthetic oil.

·
Registered
540 Posts
IT DOES require 0-20 synthetic oil.
SO it should be included in the free oil changes, otherwise they are trying to void their own engine warranty !

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was looking through a pamphlet my salesman gave me which shows the intervals for service, what is done at that time and how much it would cost roughly. I damn near fell off my chair when I looked at 69,000 kms and saw a price of almost $300 for service! I have NEVER paid that much money for regular maintenance on ANY car I have owned. The parts on this car must be made of gold. Not looking forward to that service, I can tell you that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
At what interval (miles) are they going to change the oil and filter?
I prefer to change mine every 5K miles. If the dealership is only gonna do it every 10K, I will still end up changing it every other time...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was looking through a pamphlet my salesman gave me which shows the intervals for service, what is done at that time and how much it would cost roughly. I damn near fell off my chair when I looked at 69,000 kms and saw a price of almost $300 for service! I have NEVER paid that much money for regular maintenance on ANY car I have owned. The parts on this car must be made of gold. Not looking forward to that service, I can tell you that.
My Scion, and I believe all the US Scions, come with "Scion Service Boost" It covers all Scion-Recommended Maintenance Log Services for 2 years or 25K miles. I wonder by the time you hit the 69k kms service if that has anything to do with the CVT belt and rollers?

·
Registered
507 Posts
At what interval (miles) are they going to change the oil and filter?
I prefer to change mine every 5K miles. If the dealership is only gonna do it every 10K, I will still end up changing it every other time...
The intervals here are for every 8000 kms - I believe. I'd have to look at the pamphlet again once I get home from work.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My Scion, and I believe all the US Scions, come with "Scion Service Boost" It covers all Scion-Recommended Maintenance Log Services for 2 years or 25K miles. I wonder by the time you hit the 69k kms service if that has anything to do with the CVT belt and rollers?
Not sure what exactly was included with the service as all it mentioned in the pamphlet was Brake Service and Maintenance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got the Boost booklet in the mail today.
1st oil & filter change is not until 10K from the dealer.
Looks like I will be doing it myself after the 5K 'checkup'...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you see the youtube clip about Toyota Synthetic oil? you'd be wasting your money IMHO. Americans love to change oil every 3-5 k miles,but in Europe they change oil every 10K+ miles and their cars do not suffer, same warranties etc./ I'm going with Toyota synthetic and 10K oil chnages....

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The owners manual does not specify using synthetic oil. The service manager I talked to said that they use "Toyota Approved Motor Oil" and if I want to use synthetic I would be required to pay the difference. Not sure how that makes sense, regular oil isn't designed to last 10.000 miles. Hmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
The owners manual does not specify using synthetic oil. The service manager I talked to said that they use "Toyota Approved Motor Oil" and if I want to use synthetic I would be required to pay the difference. Not sure how that makes sense, regular oil isn't designed to last 10.000 miles. Hmmmmmm
Here in the great white north our literature states first service, oil [email protected] 8000killometers.over.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's the pamphlet I mentioned above. Did anyone else receive a maintenance schedule like this? As you can see, some of the prices are pretty steep compared to most scheduled services I have had with other cars.

Font Number Document Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here in the states we got a slightly different brochure in the mail.
No prices are listed, but it details the free stuff you get for 25 months...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are correct Mickey, the Scion iQ gets free maintenance and oil changes for the first 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here's the pamphlet I mentioned above. Did anyone else receive a maintenance schedule like this? As you can see, some of the prices are pretty steep compared to most scheduled services I have had with other cars.
So you do not get the free Scion Boost service with the purchase of the car?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
So you do not get the free Scion Boost service with the purchase of the car?
i get the first 5 oil changes for free,but not really,its with the purchase of my extended warranty,the one i said i would purchase if they gave me a FREE shirt,so ,my FREE shirt cost me 1800$

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer has a sign up that says they only use synthetic oil for the oil change. I will verify it when I hit the 10K mark. Only at 1,700.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts