Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
hey newbie,i opted for the base pioneer unit,i did think about the 1 up from there,BUT,the extra 500$ pricetag for a few more watts and an rca out was rediculous,IF i ever decided to change out the head unit,it would definately be an aftermarket unit,im thrifty and like to save where i can.that said i will be adding a high end amp and speakers,with hopefully a small sub,but keeping the base head unit.i have allready got my speakers they are JL audio zr 5.25 inch components for the front and a pair of 6.25 inch for the back,the amp is next,and im still shopping around and saving$

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the base unit and it works fine. I doesn't look as fancy as I would like, but so far it performs well enough that I don't feel the need to replace it yet. I just set my phone in front of the speedo and use that for gps. I eventually would like to get a double din large screen gps to replace the radio, but they are all expensive and the cheap ones seem to have lots of bugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Portable electronic tech changes so fast it doesn't make sense to put any functionality into your dashboard--save a good amp, some nice speakers, and a AUX port. Add Bluetooth and you're looking at the base Pioneer unit I have. Really all it needs is a sub.

My Android "phone" do touch-screen navigation with traffic just fine. The nearly freebie 4GB USB thumb(nail) drive I leave in the port has the fun half of my music library on it. And there I am for now.

Future me's gonna roll with a big tablet PC duct-taped to the dashboard so I can see the reflection in the windshield, HUD-style. That'll come in handy for the back-up/crack-up cameras, navigation, watching movies in traffic... I can also envision a Kinect rigged backwards on the dash so when I <cough> "emotively gesture" somebody it'll recognize and honk the horn and such. Someday mebby. We'll see.

As I told the dealer (who obviously think they're dealing crack on this point): "For $2k it had better come with satellite. Not satellite radio: its own SATELLITE."

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I spent the dough on the Navi unit and do not regret it at all. Does everything I need and has a great interface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.