Scion IQ Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It’s also capable of handling the compact spare 60 PSI, (it is noted on the body “70 PSI Rated”).

·
Registered
206 Posts
the fact that you pay so much attention to the tires, i can tell that you must be very meticulous with your cars...

i'm pretty much the same way with cars... i love sporty cars, and in the IQ's case, i just like it's uniqueness and it is also kinda cute. :)

Completely flat, then I tend to use a compressor, and maybe wait until after 7 am at least. It takes about 4 to 5 pumps to increase 1 PSI in the small tires on the iQ. (Yes, it is capable of handling car tires. It is in the Automotive section in Walmart). On average it takes 6 pumps per PSI in the tires that I check. (I check 6 cars actively every time). The worst is those large tires on the BMW I mentioned, about 7 pumps per 1 PSI. Since I check every two weeks tires are usually down only by a maximum of 2 PSI. That would be about 12 pumps per tire. (I usually remove my sweater somewhere in the middle of checking the 6 cars when that happens. Only once or twice a year...). No, I’m not joking, that is my preferred pump. I don’t want my neighbors to hate me or call the police for noise! The little metal “valve” gets very hot if I try to pump a lot/very low tires, so then I would get a ZIP lock bag with crushed ice from the fridge to put on the connection from the pump body to to the black hose to try to keep it cool. I’ve done it, but it does fatigue the pump from lots of heat.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you saw the exterior of the cars in the household, they are not very clean. But I consider tires a very important factor in safety, so I give them the respect/attention they deserve.

I haven’t had a strange TPMS warning since the last one I noted, so I am happy so far. At least it is behaving now that I’m prepared! If I get a chance to try the Wagan I’ll report. The little rear compartment above had two clips on the left and right missing in mine. I bought replacements and put them in. When I tried to take the compartment out to get to the tire repair tools I found it very difficult to remove the clips!!! No wonder they were missing.....

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
This morning seemed to be a 12 pump per tire day. Sprayed the two hornets nests with water while I was at it. Did not get stung!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday after picking up my son from school we drove home and as we reached the house I noticed the TPMS light on. I told my son I think we have a flat, then I forgot to check the tire pressures yesterday. I checked all 4 tires this morning and absolutely nothing wrong. Since the tire repair kit had been used, (goo bottle empty), when I purchased the car, I'm guessing the goo is causing trouble with one of the sensors, again, although it seems only once in a very long time. (I don't drive the iQ very much though).

Sigh....

·
Registered
206 Posts
you should have the tire patched properly and also remove that goo stuffs inside. I read the right way is to put a plug from outside and a patch inside.

btw: my tpms light was 2 days ago... apparently the tire pressure was below 30 psi due to the much cooler in the early morning.

Yesterday after picking up my son from school we drove home and as we reached the house I noticed the TPMS light on. I told my son I think we have a flat, then I forgot to check the tire pressures yesterday. I checked all 4 tires this morning and absolutely nothing wrong. Since the tire repair kit had been used, (goo bottle empty), when I purchased the car, I'm guessing the goo is causing trouble with one of the sensors, again, although it seems only once in a very long time. (I don't drive the iQ very much though).

Sigh....

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There is a hybrid plug/patch that is shaped like a mushroom. Otherwise most shops use just a patch.

America’s Tire used one mushroom device last time I had a puncture. I know we’re kind of local to each other.

1917 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107

Best place around if you need tires.

Light was still on today when we drove maybe half a mile to the local park. Since fronts were both 34.0 PSI and rears both 33.0 PSI, digital gauge increments 0.5 PSI, I just left them alone, and ignored the light. I hope the warning light bulb does not burn out because of this. I am not interested in spending money to sort it out when I take care of tires very well....

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The goo is a temporary fix as far as I know. I think it is no longer there, probably previous owner replaced the tire. But sensor maybe wasn’t cleaned completely. Or maybe one sensor has an early battery problem.

Either way I will live with the light for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I carry a rope-style plug kit, tools to pull the nail or whatever, and 12 Volt air compressor in all of my cars. Usually when I get a flat, it's in the shoulder (outer inch or so of the tire) so it can't be repaired. I plugged one in that area, and it lasted a while but eventually started to leak so I replaced the tire. The iQ would be so easy to plug because the rear tires are so exposed in the rear, and you can turn the front wheels left or right for easy access. I like the plug kits with metal handles because I'm afraid the plastic handles on cheaper kits will break and the shaft will go through my hand. I still have the original unused goo kit, but I'd still rather have a spare tire.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have the exact same experience with the tire plug kits, unaware of the excellent point of the metal shaft through the hand. The iQ is the first car that I remembered to provide a plier to remove the intruder.

Thanks for this info!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I too carry the same for my cars. my experience is that the repair usually last a long time if done properly. I don't know if the manufactures changed the size of the repair strings. I had an older kit that came with thinner strings that's much easier to push through for small nail puncture. The current kits have thicker strings and it is much more difficult to use for small holes even after roughen it up with the other tool... don't know what it is called, but it smooth out the hole and probably enlarge it a bit.

good point about the metal handle, but you should also wear gloves....

I carry a rope-style plug kit, tools to pull the nail or whatever, and 12 Volt air compressor in all of my cars.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm up in the middle of the night, and I like to surf the automotive forums...

I am here to report the third time I drove the car, and since, light is off.

And also, I think the tool to roughen up/finish the hole is called a reamer. (I just remembered). It more specifically helps clean the steel metal so that rust does not develop as far as I understand, as well as make the hole the proper size for the plug.

Still, if you are near enough to an America's Tire, (or Discount Tire in other states), just go. They will repair with the plug-patch, and do so, without charge. (Another reason I became a loyal customer to them is because they have price matching, even to Sam's or Costco, or Tire Rack, used to split the shipping. Of course now that Tire Rack doesn't charge shipping, I guess no shipping charge)....

·
Registered
206 Posts
no charge even you didn't purchase the tire from them?

Still, if you are near enough to an America's Tire, (or Discount Tire in other states), just go. They will repair with the plug-patch, and do so, without charge. (Another reason I became a loyal customer to them is because they have price matching, even to Sam's or Costco, or Tire Rack, used to split the shipping. Of course now that Tire Rack doesn't charge shipping, I guess no shipping charge)....

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Call them first if in doubt. Ask how much to repair a nail in the repairable area. :) (It's been a little while since I last had a repair done, might be they changed since, but I don't think so).

A friend of mine says Sam's Club does the same for members. I have not confirmed this one.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sadly, I’m not happy with the new version being sold at Walmart. I was able to pump air into tires at the 3x PSI range, but was not able to pump 60 PSI for the compact spare in the Prius. Maybe the diameter of the piston inside is too wide requiring more force than bearing all my weight on the handle can exert. Also, the new style is so short it is not comfortable to bend down so far to pump! Luckily I have one last old style left. Not sure what I’m going to use in the future when my last one fails. Just a heads up for anyone considering my pump.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So that shorty pump is not working satisfactorily! A lot of times when I press down I can hear air escape instead of go into the tire. This includes after adding some air tool lube to the shaft, which improved performance/less air escape.

I found this at the local Costco, and am very happy with it’s performance in pumping tires!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks for the information BigBlue! I have looked at tire changing machines but some are so much $$$$! Is the one you have capable of changing tires on a 17” car wheel?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts