Scion IQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was taking my mother to an important doctor's appt when about 2 1/2 miles from home and just going to enter the freeway onramp the TPMS light started blinking then became sold. Maybe 30 secs later it did turn off. Boy was I caught with my pants down. (I usually keep a tire plug kit in cars without a spare but forgot to with this car). So I read my downloaded manual on my phone, open up the rear, only to find the kit has been used, and the canister of goo is practically empty.

I can't see any tire that looks clearly flat after leaving her for the biopsy, so I attach the plastic canister to the compressor as the line is attached to it, while the pressure gauge is on the compressor. I try to screw it on one valve and I can hear a faint leaking sound. (Loud construction in the area). I unscrew it and had a difficult time disconnecting the canister as there are two "clips", one on top and on bottom. I get the kit back in it's place.

I drive home without incident and check the pressures. The tire I tried to check was 3 PSI low compared to the other side.

Got the plug kit from my totalled smart and put it in the car. Will probably look for a nice plier and 12 V compressor, and put in a digital gauge to top off my kit, since the Scion kit will not work as a pressure gauge, at least with the goo used.

The pump clearly notes that once used "Change the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter".

Maybe the shop that eventually repaired or replaced the damaged tire cleaned the sensor instead of replacing it, and I am now getting "ghost" problems...

·
Registered
204 Posts
that kind of tire sealant seals everything.... including the tpms sensor. you probably need to service the sensor or replace it if the warning light bother you.

Was taking my mother to an important doctor's appt when about 2 1/2 miles from home and just going to enter the freeway onramp the TPMS light started blinking then became sold. Maybe 30 secs later it did turn off. Boy was I caught with my pants down. (I usually keep a tire plug kit in cars without a spare but forgot to with this car). So I read my downloaded manual on my phone, open up the rear, only to find the kit has been used, and the canister of goo is practically empty.

I can't see any tire that looks clearly flat after leaving her for the biopsy, so I attach the plastic canister to the compressor as the line is attached to it, while the pressure gauge is on the compressor. I try to screw it on one valve and I can hear a faint leaking sound. (Loud construction in the area). I unscrew it and had a difficult time disconnecting the canister as there are two "clips", one on top and on bottom. I get the kit back in it's place.

I drive home without incident and check the pressures. The tire I tried to check was 3 PSI low compared to the other side.

Got the plug kit from my totalled smart and put it in the car. Will probably look for a nice plier and 12 V compressor, and put in a digital gauge to top off my kit, since the Scion kit will not work as a pressure gauge, at least with the goo used.

The pump clearly notes that once used "Change the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter".

Maybe the shop that eventually repaired or replaced the damaged tire cleaned the sensor instead of replacing it, and I am now getting "ghost" problems...

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks nis350! Looks like it's back to us two!

I actually check tire pressures every two weeks, three max, with a digital gauge that increments in 0.5 PSI. I am so careful about it that I can usually tell there is a nail in a tire just by one side being off 1 to 2 PSI from the other side! So when a TPMS light came on for my wife once, I was sure she had some sort of puncture. I was confident in this case as well, just very frightened as TPMS and no spare cars usually have runflat tires. We were on our way to an appointment as well....

That goo stuff is about $90 dollars to replace at the cheapest I could find so far. The compressor was left with the car, man these parts are expensive. I ordered a Wagan unit from Walmart online (~ $20) and it should be at the store hopefully by today. Also ordered a two plier set for about $5, already ready for pick-up. I hope the Wagan unit just fits in place of the OE one. It, (the OE contraption), doesn't work well to check tire pressure. (I added my digital gauge and tire tread depth gauge I got at Harbor Freight, as well as the Walmart tire plug kit that I retrieved from my smart, already).......

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I researched one that would most likely fit in the spot where the original pump fits. In the picture it is inside the spot, exactly where the OE pump sits. Yes, it does fit, slight friction on top and bottom and a little space/gap on the left and right sides.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m afraid my last answer may not be what you are asking? Where did you want to fit it?

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is slightly narrower than the original pump but ever so slightly longer. If you take the OE pump and try to fit it where you are asking, and it fits, most likely this one will too. The dimensions are listed on Walmart.com if that helps too, or I can get out a ruler....

·
Registered
204 Posts
good idea... i'll give it a try. thx.

It is slightly narrower than the original pump but ever so slightly longer. If you take the OE pump and try to fit it where you are asking, and it fits, most likely this one will too. The dimensions are listed on Walmart.com if that helps too, or I can get out a ruler....

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looked up "Lee air Compressor" and an expensive one popped up. Harbor Freight has something very similar. Search for Harbor Freight coupons for 20% off. Pasadena HF will scan the coupon bar code from your smart phone if you have one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
how is the wagan pump working out? do you recommend it?

bought a cheap one locally and it doesn't pump well at all, it take a long time just to pump a few pounds of air. and it started to slow down and heat up after just a couple of tires.

Thanks nis350! Looks like it's back to us two!

That goo stuff is about $90 dollars to replace at the cheapest I could find so far. The compressor was left with the car, man these parts are expensive. I ordered a Wagan unit from Walmart online (~ $20) ...

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nis350,

I'm afraid I took it out of the box and just put it in place of the original one. I never tried it.

I use these items for normal air checks I make every two weeks, maximum 3 if life gets crazy!

All from Walmart. The little bottle is air tool oil for the little hole on top of the pump. (I drop three drops in before I use it). Get some exercise in: (my wife, father, and mother are/were doctors by profession/study).

·
Registered
204 Posts
manual pump.... :eek:

i was thinking along the line of exercising my lungs to inflate the tires with a long straw... just kidding :D

nis350,

I'm afraid I took it out of the box and just put it in place of the original one. I never tried it.

I use these items for normal air checks I make every two weeks, maximum 3 if life gets crazy!

All from Walmart. The little bottle is air tool oil for the little hole on top of the pump. (I drop three drops in before I use it). Get some exercise in: (my wife, father, and mother are/were doctors by profession/study).

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not mention what time I check the tires. I check in the middle of the night or very early morning before the sun comes up most of the time. Can you imagine the noise of a compressor in middle of the night, sometimes 3 or 4 am? Maybe the neighbors would send the cops....

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was thinking along the line of exercising my lungs to inflate the tires with a long straw... just kidding :D
If you could get 33 PSI out of your lungs, maybe you are not nis350, but should change to SuperMan!

But that's really what I use. Sometimes the pumps break after a while, so usually I have a spare. Good exercise plus I don't wake anyone up. Reaches the valves on most tires except when they may be in the highest (12 o'clock) position on my wife's 19" wheels on a 535i GT. (Tires are huge). Then I grab a 1" wood plank to put unerneath and it reaches....

·
Registered
204 Posts
joking aside, i have never heard of anyone using a manual pump for car tires, but it is a great idea. is it designed for car tire?

how long does it take to pump a completely flat tire to 33 psi?

If you could get 33 PSI out of your lungs, maybe you are not nis350, but should change to SuperMan!

But that's really what I use. Sometimes the pumps break after a while, so usually I have a spare. Good exercise plus I don't wake anyone up. Reaches the valves on most tires except when they may be in the highest (12 o'clock) position on my wife's 19" wheels on a 535i GT. (Tires are huge). Then I grab a 1" wood plank to put unerneath and it reaches....

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Completely flat, then I tend to use a compressor, and maybe wait until after 7 am at least. It takes about 4 to 5 pumps to increase 1 PSI in the small tires on the iQ. (Yes, it is capable of handling car tires. It is in the Automotive section in Walmart). On average it takes 6 pumps per PSI in the tires that I check. (I check 6 cars actively every time). The worst is those large tires on the BMW I mentioned, about 7 pumps per 1 PSI. Since I check every two weeks tires are usually down only by a maximum of 2 PSI. That would be about 12 pumps per tire. (I usually remove my sweater somewhere in the middle of checking the 6 cars when that happens. Only once or twice a year...). No, I’m not joking, that is my preferred pump. I don’t want my neighbors to hate me or call the police for noise! The little metal “valve” gets very hot if I try to pump a lot/very low tires, so then I would get a ZIP lock bag with crushed ice from the fridge to put on the connection from the pump body to to the black hose to try to keep it cool. I’ve done it, but it does fatigue the pump from lots of heat.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts