Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CVTs seem to generate a degree of controversy, but I have a great deal of respect for how the iQ CVT handles my everyday driving demands. Even moreso since the iQ is a city car and the CVT appropriately frees me up to deal with real world traffic conditions with much less stress.

Would I like a manual? In some situations, yes. Maybe for more performance driving. But as a city car? No, I think Scion was wise and consistent with the design targets of this car to keep the CVT. Some predicted early on that the CVT would be a big negative for the iQ and for some it probably was. Fine. They do not need to be driving a city car in a city environment where a degree of common sense is called for.

Over all, I have come to love, and even marvel at, the way this little CVT works. It's different, yes, but having spent some months with it I think it's really great.

What are yours thoughts on the iQ CVT? Any experiences with other CVTs (perhaps the ones that seem to generate all the controversies)? Any comparisons?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It reminds me of the clutch on my gokart or mini bike.....slipping....slipping.....ahhh moving....moving....

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are good ones and bad ones out there. The one that Honda has is a good one like the CVT in the IQ but the one in the "smart car" is terrible. Tried it some time ago and it was one of the reasons that I did not purchase a "smart car". The tranny has to sort of 'wind up' before the car moves. I can't think of a better way to explain it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like it. The Smart is an electronic manual that is actually shifting gears and has a huge lag. I haven't had any issues yet and I feel that it's pretty smooth.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like it except for the times I want to get out in traffic. I push the pedal down and it kind of just goes uuuugggggh.
After it get moving it is fantastic. I kind of like how if you give it a lot of gas it sounds like it shifts. But if you hardly push the pedal down. You can't hear it shift up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My understanding of the shift sounds are that they are engineered in for the drivers piece of mind and are not realy part of how the CVT works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
iqforyou's reply made me laugh with a short an decisive statement.
I do agree the CVT is sort of so-so for any car enthusiast...

I long when I see 500's & Mini's go by decisively in the proper ratio (picked by it's driver) while I am mostly lugging...
(sorry for having two "decisive" in the same sentence; I am mostly french)

500's are totally remote to what a car should look like and Mini's are too expensive to purchase and maintain... 2012 Yaris hatchback got bigger and generic-designed (a step back I find)... that left me with the iQ as the only choice... nice in all aspects except CVT.

Master-Yoda is a lucky fellow with Toyota's offering out in Europe.

I am 99% city-driving; I would have loved a manual but there is no question CVT does suit a lotta people. Nice would have been having had the choice of either...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I would like to have a manual just for fun but now that I'm used to the CVT in the iQ I'm totally happy with it.

I've noticed that since I put the new DC Sports intake on it, the "shifting" sounds are more pronounced. Less sounding like a mini bike clutch and more like a quick shifting manual. I like it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am happy with the CVT in my IQ and also in my wife's Outback. Just give it the gas and go.
I test drove a six speed Soul in city traffic and all that shifting was a pain in the...

I don't mind shifting on my motorcycle but don't want it in my car or truck.

My two new tractors have a hydrostatic transmission (kinda like a CVT) and I thought that I would not like the auto after driving stick tractors for so long but now I am sold.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I supect if the Scion version of the iQ had a manual tranny option a whole other range of potential owners might become engaged...and one day that might become desirable for Toyota. But for now, I think a manual tranny would/could make the iQ something other than the pure city car it is, and I'm not sure that would be a good thing. Do city dwellers need to row the gears to quicker launch times or for carving their way through side streets? Fun yes, but not while perserving a degree of civility on our public roads. Here, having two hands firmly and purposefully planted on the steering wheel is the beneficial thing.

If the car came with a stick you'd have a lot more performance-minded folks scarfing these little babies up. In light of this I am kinda liking where they went with the Scion iQ, avoiding that altogether different scene. As a city car, the iQ really shines. As for this other thing...well there are other cars designed for that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Of the 20ish cars I have had, only 3 have not been maual transmisions. I still have the urge to clutch and changing gears while driving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The IQ CVT cuts spark to simulate an conventional automatic . If they just let do what it does best , it would perform the same or better than a stick as far as acceleration .

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I still have the urge to clutch and changing gears while driving.
Me, too....and I have a few places on my normal route where it would be a blast to do so! :) Unfortunately such activity involves a degree of hooligan driving that is unwise. It's better for everyone that I simply explore the benefits of my TRD suspension upgrades. That's plenty of fun for a city car on public roads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I really like the IQ's CVT trans,

It is much smooother than a actual gear shifting Auto trans. But then again I also have a Suzuki 650cc Motorcycle that also has a CVT trans, it basically acts the same way as the IQ, It has what most people call a slipping shift, when the CVT trans shifts into one of it's 40+ gear ratios under normal driving it is undetectable, that still amazes me,even after driving a cvt vehicle for over 5 years, My motorcycle does not have the Faux shifting, and it is much faster.

My Suzuki 650cc Motorcycle with CVT trans has a Regular mode & Power mode button and two manual shift buttons (up & Down 5 gear ratios).

The IQ cvt, I think could be fixed for the better, it is not bad the way it is, But, if someone could reprogram the CVT (ie: a chip)for optimal shifts, and get rid of the Faux shifting.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If in fact they are cutting the spark to obtain that shift feel. I think they need to be reprogramming the transmission. It would be better if it just stayed and didn't do that. Performance and fuel wise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts