Scion IQ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The perfect spot fer my GPS unit is to the right of the speedometer console and not attached to the windshield. I used some 3m VHB tape stuck to the bottom of the suction mount and mounted it directly to the cluster trim. A suction mount plate just wasn't going to do fer my needs so I knew I needed a direct mount to the dash/trim. Those pop off all the time and at random times and I didn't want my GPS flopping around when it does. I'll have to see how well this solution will hold up over time. I have another solution in case this one doesn't work out in the future. I still have to fabricate a paper hood fer the unit to minimize the amount of glare on the GPS and to give it some shade from the sun. ;)

I know not to mount it to the left because if the airbag were to deploy, it could become a flying object straight to the driver. I could mount a hinge based plate that would fold down in case of an A pillar airbag deployment but I'll save that fer another install. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have the ideal attachment device with minimal fab work. A phone clamp to attach to the trim! The trim is about 3 1/8" in width. The phone clamp should work just fine since most smart phones are wider than that! ;)

Ordered this from Amazon fer about $8 shipped. The adjustable clamp will attach to the trim and the 1/4" screw holes will be my attachment points fer my angle brackets. ;)

I ordered this AMPS plate (about $11 shipped) fer the Garmin socket (17mm) so I can fab a metal strap to attach it to the clamp and to the plate. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's done fer now. It doesn't wobble and there's no real chance of it falling or popping off on it's own. The screen is right at my finger tips and it doesn't interfere with the steering wheel movement. However, I'm not real happy with the focal plane and I might have to move the fastener point to the middle so it's more in line with the speedometer and radio focal plane. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts