Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way into work this morning in the rain and a question came to mind...
How is the iQ in the rain? Much hydroplaning?

How about the snow? Have any of you driven in the snow yet? The salesman told me it was great in the snow with winter tires but you know how salesmen can be. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I live in the rain, and it holds on stock tires pretty good in curves... and also brakes well. I never noticed any more hydroplaning than you would get in any car (depending on the puddle size/speed).

With my bigger wheels I hydroplane a tiny bit more, perhaps because they are wider, but it's still plenty safe. The traction control and ABS work great.

I did drive in the snow a time or two with the stock wheels (just normal tires) and I felt it handled well. I couldn't even get it to slide, but it was wet snow not the slippery stuff.

FWD and a front mount engine along with ABS and traction control are about as much as you could ask for unless you were willing to go with an AWD vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Also, I brake a lot using the "S" and "B" mode on the transmission. On automatics I generally just stay in "Drive" but on the IQ I've found these modes helpful for stopping quicker and also accelerating up hills and/or merging on the highway. You should definitely play around with them.
I PLAY ASWELL,its a ton off fun,i aswell find it to be like ANY other car in the snow and or rain.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I plan on picking up some steel wheels and winter rubber for my winter driving but it's good to know the car is no worse in the rain than any other car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dynamic hydroplaning, the type most of us are familiar with on a highway with standing water, is mostly a function of tire pressure and depth of tread. The basic formula for the speed at which one will hydroplane is: 9 X the square root of the tire pressure (in lbs).

The stock tires (in the U.S.) are designed for high mileage, low rolling resistance. They are likely a bit less "sticky" than a performance tire or a good all around all season tire. I don't push the limits, but they seem OK on wet roads so far. The driving I've done on snow has shown the traction to be similar to other FWD cars I've had. The biggest issue is the low height of the car. Get in a rut and you'll be dragging like a snow plow. I got in some serious firm ruts that ripped off the little air dam in front of the right front tire, and it then took the entire wheel well liner with it. New parts $200.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Surprisingly, the iQ did well in the SNOW (and rain too)! We don't get much snow in San Diego and I'm from the tropics so for someone that does not really know how to drive in the snow, my iQ got me home safely. :rolleyes: I even got both front tires stuck in a rain gutter at a snow-covered dirt parking lot. I got it out thanks to the stability control. The tires didn't skid as they dug themselves out from the gutter. Upon leaving the parking lot and entering the asphalt road where it had been plowed a few times, it had to go through piles of snow. I saw the VSC light up again and I got on the road with no problems. I'm so proud of my iQ!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! That's good to know, RexIQ - even though I'm on the East Coast and our winters are generally mild, we do get the occasional big storm where we can get anywhere between 20 - 30 cms (around 8 to 12 inches) of snow. Granted, I probably wouldn't drive in that much snow, especially if ice or wind is also involved, but just to know that the car could handle the more reasonable 5 to 10 cms we get occasionally in the winter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't drive the iQ much during last Monday's snowstorm, but I did try to move it out of the way of my Honda Element - and I managed to move it about 12 feet. That is actually pretty impressive considering the amount of snow we got. I didn't take it to work on Tuesday (still couldn't move it), but I did get it out on Wednesday and nearly got stuck in the Element's tracks. Same wheel base, but nowhere near the ground clearance. After I got it out - I was fine on the roads. No problems on slush or wet roads.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys will have to let me know what tires and size you use for winter driving. I am a little worried as it seems winter tires are going to difficult to find around here for this car. I plan on picking up some 16" steelies for winter rims but I'm not sure what I can do as far as a tire.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
You guys will have to let me know what tires and size you use for winter driving. I am a little worried as it seems winter tires are going to difficult to find around here for this car. I plan on picking up some 16" steelies for winter rims but I'm not sure what I can do as far as a tire.
what about the steelies that are on the IQ now?wont you just use those.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I plan on using my extra steelies for winter tread.
I think Goodyear may have two different models available.
What size comes on the iQ again?

I asked the tech who installed my factory alloy wheels about putting new TPMS sensors in the steelies for winter.
He said the iQ would need to be reprogrammed whenever a TPMS sensor is either changed or put into a different position such as rotating the tires. $80 just to plug in, programming is additional.

He said for the 3-4 months the winter tread is on just live with the TPMS light on the dash.
The light cannot be lit for inspections...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what about the steelies that are on the IQ now?wont you just use those.
I believe the dealership will be taking them back as they are just "loaner" wheels until mine come in. The alloys were supposed to be installed for the day I picked up my car but because they were on back order, I didn't want to have to wait until my alloys came in to pick up the car. So, I don't think I can keep them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I plan on using my extra steelies for winter tread.
I think Goodyear may have two different models available.
What size comes on the iQ again?

I asked the tech who installed my factory alloy wheels about putting new TPMS sensors in the steelies for winter.
He said the iQ would need to be reprogrammed whenever a TPMS sensor is either changed or put into a different position such as rotating the tires. $80 just to plug in, programming is additional.

He said for the 3-4 months the winter tread is on just live with the TPMS light on the dash.
The light cannot be lit for inspections...
Oooo...good point. I never thought about that. What a pain in the ass that's going to be - the whole TPMS sensors thing. Ugh... I hate having lights on my dash that shouldn't be there. lol

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I believe the dealership will be taking them back as they are just "loaner" wheels until mine come in. The alloys were supposed to be installed for the day I picked up my car but because they were on back order, I didn't want to have to wait until my alloys came in to pick up the car. So, I don't think I can keep them.
i woulddefinately ask to keep them,did you get to keep yours Micky?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, they boxed them up along with the 7-spoke hubcaps in the boxes the alloy wheels came in and they loaded them in the back.
They even put the protective cloth bags over the steelies inside the boxes.

They even gave me the new chrome lug nuts and put the old ones in a little box for me.
The tech said to use the old nuts with the steelies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts