Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TRD springs and way bar.

I ordered both and been doing some reading since springs will be replaced I should get a alignment done on car. I just don't know should I do one immediately or wait. I know when I had the springs and shocks done on my smart I went through three alignments in a 3 month time before alignment stayed aligned which I could only guess was because the setup was settling still.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Wait to see how your iQ handles after the alignment. I've never taken any of my cars in for an alignment after installing lowering springs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read things like the toe ends may change with spring change and that may cause tires to go faster if you don't get alignment done.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Alignment. Alignment. Alignment.

Sorry to disagree with you all but I lowered my 2010 xb with eibachs and didn't align. After just over a year I finally aligned it because my tires were wearing out unevenly from the outside. The shop guys said that the alignment was off by a quarter inch.

I also just ordered the TRD springs and sway bar for the IQ. Springs should arrive Thursday. The install instructions specifically instruct you to align after install. I personally will wait one or two weeks before I align to allow the springs to settle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put the TRD springs and shocks on my tC. I did get an immediate alignment. The camber was just barely within Toyota tolerances. I put new tires on at the same time. I got only 15K out of the tires. I added camber bolts to the front and changed out the lower control arms in the rear. Did another alignment and the tolerances were back to normal. The next set of tires did 30K showing very little wear. Had I kept the car, I'm sure I would have gotten at least 45K out of them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I drove SABQT for 3 weeks prior to the install of the TRD lowering springs and the anti-sway bar. The stubby wheelbase causes severe body pitching problems on accelerate and braking. The lowering springs tightened the low-frequency (1-5Hz) pitch magnitude response up probably 80%, and the rear anti-sway bar ironed out nearly all the roll in squirrelly (y'all know how ridiculously squirrelly this thing is) turns. But I'm left with a ride kwality that'll disavow you of your teeth on poorly-maintained California roads at freeway speeds (medium to high frequency noise).

I was thinking bagging it up might solve the remaining problems but in talking with my NorCal Scion buddies with bags on their xB's, air doesn't really provide the dampening I need. All bags do is mess with your spring force travel, which would bring it back into pitching problems again...and I'm not willing to give up my back seat.

What I need is a full-on active suspension system for the mid-to-high frequency stuff (5-20Hz). Anybody know where I can get a set of electronically variable dampers and the interface spec to the iQ's factory VSC system? Might take a year but if I had those two bits of kit to start with I could probably hack the rest of it together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so the springs and sway bar turn the ride to crap? I'm not down for that I just moved from a smart that had the most atrocious ride in the world. The iQ drives like a dream in comparison and only reason I thought to do springs and sway bar was to make ride better. I do not want another tooth jarring ride. Please someone confirm the what the last guy said if anyone knows about this stuff too. If this is fact then this sucks and I don't want to ruin the ride smoothness I have now on iQ.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, I just sent an e-mail to these people, seeing if I can talk them into going retail. Their product is really what the iQ needs if you're going to lower it. Active Shock LLC. As far as I can tell the solution exists, but is still in high-end experimental, nothing bolt-on available for the foreseeable future.

But take my advice with a grain of salt. I help tune military helicopter ride quality for a living. I'm probably a bit oversensitive to the issue...and to be honest I still have all the teeth I started with. But my wife agrees that 3-hour cross-country trip in the iQ was an uncomfortable mistake (we'll take her xA from now on).

I should just say the iQ ride gets more go-cart-y the lower it goes to the ground. More jarring, yes, but also more exciting. The thing still corners like a squirrel, but to absurdity now: cloverleafs barely phase it at freeway speeds, and it does parking lots like an empty shopping cart. It may not toast a Ferarri off the line, but there's nothing like it in the slalom, if you don't mind the whiplash.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I don't understand your analogies. lol

How does a squirrel corner, especially an absurd squirrel?
What is a cloverleaf? (I'll google this one)
Is an empty shopping cart good in a parking lot or bad?
Nothing like its slalom in a bad way, or a good way minus the whiplash part?

o_O *shrug*
ha ha,little tough for this canadian kid as well,i just added the sway bar ,front bushing change,and it is a GREAT improvement,and thats as far as i go with suspention,i didnt buy a scion iq to spend 1000s$ to try and make it handle any better,if that was the case i would have just bought something that accomplished this.it is what it is,an entry level$,micro subcompact city commuter,its cool,its unique,a conversation piece,with no design ideas for it to be a little track car.I LOVE THE THING.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
hey SABQT,you sound well versed in your analogies,but im just a kid from canada,and southern cally are for different lingo,LOL,good to have ya on the forum,i do understand the golf ball analogy for i am a science guy.PEACE.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your best bet would be finding springs with lower spring rates, I havnt even seen the numbers for the TRD springs but they might just be too high for your liking. You also might want to look into KYB adjustable dampers/shocks on the stock springs to take some of the dive out of the car under braking.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts