Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add two Pairs of LEDs. 1. one pair, under lower Dash to come on when door is unlocked. Tap into Dome light wiring from below 2. Second pair in back to light up trunk. Tap into Dome light wiring from below Anyone no where the wiring is in maybe a kick panel or under dash?? A picture would awesome.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got some of my led stripps in today....I will be doing the same......;) going with blue SMD leds....

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Ok I finally got around to this project. If you guys want to tap into the dome light you will need to practice up on your soldering skills! It's not difficult if you have a pencil type soldering tool, but a large soldering tool would probably not be best for this mod.You will need to pull down the dome light which is easy by just lightly prying on the light from the passenger side. Once you have the light down you will need to take it apart a bit. There is a green board that has the two contact points that you will need to tap into. In order to get the board off you will need to carefully remove the small connection with the red and white wire ( these are the wires feeding your dome lights led) once you have disconnected the connection there are two Phillips head screws that hold the board in place, remove them and the clear plastic cover and carefully set it aside temporarily. The board will have a coating of grease on it, this is dielectric grease which keeps the dome light switch working properly, I recomend cleaning off this grease, and then putting a new layer of grease once your done with the mod.Ok now for the fun part, on the bottom side of the board, on the opposite side of the connection where the red and white wires went, is where you will tap in. The red wire is your positive, and the white is your negative. I recomend soldering in a quick conect system so that future wiring mods will be more easy. Once you have soldered on your wires, I recomend coating your solder points with a light coat of epoxy, this will avoid any chance of a short circuit. Once you have done this, and the epoxy dries, you can reassemble your dome light in the opposite fashion of which you took it apart.Your dome light is now ready to be used for adding additional interior lighting. Wiring in at the point I described will give you the advantage of being able to use your dome light switch. For most other wiring mods we wired into the dome light wires located under the drivers side windshield pillar, but these wires will simply turn on the lights when the door is opened. With your new wiring mod, you can turn on your lights anytime you want by simply turning your dome light switch.i hope this helps any of you wanting to tap into your dome lights wiring system.
best wishes,
Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok I finally got around to this project. If you guys want to tap into the dome light you will need to practice up on your soldering skills! It's not difficult if you have a pencil type soldering tool, but a large soldering tool would probably not be best for this mod.You will need to pull down the dome light which is easy by just lightly prying on the light from the passenger side. Once you have the light down you will need to take it apart a bit. There is a green board that has the two contact points that you will need to tap into. In order to get the board off you will need to carefully remove the small connection with the red and white wire ( these are the wires feeding your dome lights led) once you have disconnected the connection there are two Phillips head screws that hold the board in place, remove them and the clear plastic cover and carefully set it aside temporarily. The board will have a coating of grease on it, this is dielectric grease which keeps the dome light switch working properly, I recomend cleaning off this grease, and then putting a new layer of grease once your done with the mod.Ok now for the fun part, on the bottom side of the board, on the opposite side of the connection where the red and white wires went, is where you will tap in. The red wire is your positive, and the white is your negative. I recomend soldering in a quick conect system so that future wiring mods will be more easy. Once you have soldered on your wires, I recomend coating your solder points with a light coat of epoxy, this will avoid any chance of a short circuit. Once you have done this, and the epoxy dries, you can reassemble your dome light in the opposite fashion of which you took it apart.Your dome light is now ready to be used for adding additional interior lighting. Wiring in at the point I described will give you the advantage of being able to use your dome light switch. For most other wiring mods we wired into the dome light wires located under the drivers side windshield pillar, but these wires will simply turn on the lights when the door is opened. With your new wiring mod, you can turn on your lights anytime you want by simply turning your dome light switch.i hope this helps any of you wanting to tap into your dome lights wiring system.
best wishes,
Daniel
Yo:)

I did your domelight soldering/solution on the little connection in the domelight.....the leds work , with the dome selector, if i have the little connector out of socket but then the dome light dont work...but when i put it in the socket again the leds dont work and the dome light work...

Can u please tell me what needs to be done so i can get both the dome light to work together with the leds

Hope to hear back from u:):)

Regards

Kenneth, NORWAY:)

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yo:)

I did your domelight soldering/solution on the little connection in the domelight.....the leds work , with the dome selector, if i have the little connector out of socket but then the dome light dont work...but when i put it in the socket again the leds dont work and the dome light work...

Can u please tell me what needs to be done so i can get both the dome light to work together with the leds

Hope to hear back from u:):)

Regards

Kenneth, NORWAY:)

Unfortunately Airbagged was banned from this site & wont be able to help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts