Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The iQ went in last December for fitting on the Tanabe USA strut tower bar. It was delivered yesterday!!!!!

Easy to install (I'll post up a DIY) and it looks great. Here are a few shots.

The nice folks at Tanabe also gave me the new Sustec frame brace. It will be in production and available this August.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I hope these get sent out soon. People want me to take it to the car show. But till I get the strut brace in I don't want to.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Follow up to this post, there is a trick to the process, and a design flaw made by tanabe, this flaw causes you to have to loosen it In order to sneak out the canister. It's not really hard to do, but you shouldn't have to do it when paying a good $200 plus for this frame brace. In the picture you can see where moving the brace point over just a few inches would fix the defect. I think all of us who have purchased these braces should get together and make tanabe replace our defective product with one that is corrected!best wishes,Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
You guys best be happy that you live in a warm weather state....I'd love to lower my
Q and get the Sustek brace, etc., but as I said before, I need all the clearance that it
comes stock with and then some because of the amount and frequency of the winter
snow here in Colorado. We got snow again last night...had to do an errand this
morning....drove over a 6" chunk of snow and heard it go from front to back
underneath my car. No damage, but a chunk of ice the same size wouldn't be so nice
to me. So. I've settled for the Tanabe Strut Brace and the rear TRD anti-sway bar,
thats it for me.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
You guys best be happy that you live in a warm weather state....I'd love to lower my
Q and get the Sustek brace, etc., but as I said before, I need all the clearance that it
comes stock with and then some because of the amount and frequency of the winter
snow here in Colorado. We got snow again last night...had to do an errand this
morning....drove over a 6" chunk of snow and heard it go from front to back
underneath my car. No damage, but a chunk of ice the same size wouldn't be so nice
to me. So. I've settled for the Tanabe Strut Brace and the rear TRD anti-sway bar,
thats it for me.
Mr Gib, if you want I can look for a company to build you a mini snow plow, and a skid plate for the bottom lol.

I think I would just end up using my IQ for summers, and my truck for winters if I was in your situation.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mr Gib, if you want I can look for a company to build you a mini snow plow, and a skid plate for the bottom lol.
I think I would just end up using my IQ for summers, and my truck for winters if I was in your situation.
...uumph, keemosabe, me have no truck.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got one of these coming to me next week. Had to go buy a low profile floor lift, jack stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, and lug wrench tonight. I think I gave away all that gear about 16 years ago when I sold my Triumph TR6. Been relying on free scheduled maintenance included with leases and purchases since then. Seem to have caught the customization bug now ...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got one of these coming to me next week. Had to go buy a low profile floor life, jack stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, and lug wrench tonight. I think I gave away all that gear about 16 years ago when I sold my Triumph TR6. Been relying on free scheduled maintenance included with leases and purchases since then. Seem to have caught the customization bug now ...
I've had both Spitfire and TR4 Triumphs but the TR6 is still on my bucket list.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
I've got one of these coming to me next week. Had to go buy a low profile floor life, jack stands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, and lug wrench tonight. I think I gave away all that gear about 16 years ago when I sold my Triumph TR6. Been relying on free scheduled maintenance included with leases and purchases since then. Seem to have caught the customization bug now ...
It's an easy bug to catch with these cars :) if your referring to purchasing the upper tower bar your safe, if your referring to purchasing the lower chassis brace, send it back!! Wait till they come out with the revised version, that Taz referred to in another post( apparently they will be changing his out, while not informing the rest of us of their flop!!, or how they plan to correct the problem they have caused for people who have spent their hard earned money on this product. Only after calling them myself did I find out there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who have already purchased them, but ill believe it when a replacement is on my car free of charge, the way it should be). The Gen 1 brace has a design flaw which makes oil changes very difficult especially for your average person. Refusing to purchase these defective braces will force them to fix the issue or loose sales!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The low profile floor lift didn't fit under my lowered iQ. I had to use a 2x4 to act as a lever to make up for the difference in distance to the frame, then used a scissor jack from another car to allow me to reposition the floor jack. Had to do the reverse to bring it back down.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
image.jpg
The low profile floor lift didn't fit under my lowered iQ. I had to use a 2x4 to act as a lever to make up for the difference in distance to the frame, then used a scissor jack from another car to allow me to reposition the floor jack. Had to do the reverse to bring it back down.
I purchased a low profile race car style jack. Here in south Florida we have a company called harbor freight, they sell the jack ranging from $79-$129 depending on if its on sale or not. I have the 5 ad body kit so lifting the car is tricky, but with this jack it can still be done. You just have to use the correct lifting points on the bottom of the car. I use the point that is near the very front of the door, it looks like a little hump under the car. First I lift one side, put under a stand, then lift the other side. The days of lifting directly off the front of the car are gone for me, because mine sits way to low for that. Either way give that place a shot if you don't have one locally maybe you can mail order one. It's a lot better than using a scissor jack!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might want to get a low profile bottle jack. It could make it easier to fit under the car and not have to use the 2X4 as a lever.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts