Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the instructions for installing the Tanabe USA Strut Tower Bar for the Scion iQ.

Always use safety practices to prevent injury to yourself and damage to your vehicle. I assume no responsibility if you hurt yourself or screw up your ride.

Tool list:

10mm socket
12mm socket
12mm open end wrench
14mm open end wrench
17mm open end wrench
Allen wrenches

Remove the windshield wipers by prying off the black plastic cover on the base of the arms. This will allow you to reach the 12mm nuts that hold the wiper arms on. Remove the nuts and then the wiper arms. (My wipers are already removed so I don't have photos of this)

Remove the black plastic cowling below the windshield.

There are two end pieces that are removed by pulling up on them, don't remove them completely, just disconnect them from the center black cowl.

The entire cowl can be removed by simply lifting up, there are no screws holding on the plastic part.

Remove the bolts holding the lower metal tray in place to allow access to the strut towers.

The strut bar mounts. They are side specific, driver and passenger. In this photo the passenger side is on your left and the driver is on your right.

The passenger side strut tower.

The driver side strut tower.

Remove the two forward nuts and set the strut bar mounts over the bolts.

Tanabe provides new nuts for the mounts.

You can use a socket to tighten the rear nut but you will need to use an open end wrench to tighten the front nut.

The strut tower bar.

The bar end fitting assembly.

Remove the bolt, nut and washer.

Place the bar into the mounts, the Tanabe logo will face forward, not up.

Insert the bolt, washer and nut.

Use the Allen wrench and an open end wrench to tighten the bolts.

Replace the metal tray and black plastic cowl.

You're ready to go!

·
Registered
540 Posts
You forgot to mention that the car should be raised up, susupension unloaded. When it is adjusted. Otherwise the strut towers could already be leaning in some already.

Looks great. Can't wait to get mine on.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
once again,your documentation is unmatched,a wonderfull thing.looks killer.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You forgot to mention that the car should be raised up, susupension unloaded. When it is adjusted. Otherwise the strut towers could already be leaning in some already.

Looks great. Can't wait to get mine on.

I don't install mine with the car lifted. The struts are at rest and the rear mounting nut is not loosened or removed. The strut stays in place and the nuts are replaced without the struts moving position. I've had more issues installing them with the car raised in the past. It can be done either way, this is just my personal choice.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here is what most sites say about installing a brace, this is why I have always done it this way. Weather stock one on some cars or after market ones. A lot of the stock ones you can really notice the struts moving outwards when you take the load off of them.

Tanabe Strut Tower Bar:
The Tanabe strut tower bar is arguable one of the least expensive upgrades that can provide a very high degree of benefit that is felt immediately after installing. Often one of the first modifications performed on a vehicle, the strut tower brace improves handling and stability of a vehicle.The Tanabe Sustec Tower Bar has been very popular due to its low price and high functionality. By connecting the strut towers, and creating a balance, the shocks are prevented from independently moving and causing small changes in suspension geometry.
Product Features: Actual spec. may vary by models
Reinforced Lip, Extruded Centershaft
While simple in appearance, the design of the centershaft has a significant amount of engineering put into it. The construction is reinforced extruded aluminum, which features dual reinforced lips on the underside, as well as tapered ends for additional rigidity. The centershaft is very lightweight, so weight is not added to reinforce the chassis.
Adjustable Preload
A very common error when installing tower bars, It is always recommended to raise the vehicle when installing so that the load of the shock uppermounts on the shock towers is relieved and balanced out. When raised, and the tower bar is placed onto the vehicle, the preload can be adjusted and set. After it is bolted on and the car is lowered, each shock tower will have equal load and will prevent independent movements of each shock. This will provide an extremely noticeable difference after installing. If a tower bar is installed on a car that is not raised, great benefits will be missed.
Ultra Durable Steel End Plates
The end plates are 100% steel for maximum strength and durability. Commonly, extremely budget tower bars use aluminum end plates, which are highly subject to deformity and breaking. Our 100% steel end plates are engineered for durability, so that the stress properly transfers to the bar, and does not overstress the welds and mounting brackets.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See what you can find when you read the directions! I've been installing these for years and have done them both ways. I'm not sure the difference will be great with the small iQ but I will re-install it with the car raised and see what changes. Thanks!~

·
Registered
540 Posts
It may not make such a difference on a small car. But on something bigger, just put the bar on it and lower it with nuts loose. You can actually see the tops come in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Old thread revival!

Anybody with this notice any difference in handling on the stock suspension? i know optimally it should be used with coils but just curious.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a difference in mine, even with the air suspension. I imagine it would be much more noticeable with springs or coilovers.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$139 on the Tanabe USA website.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
not bad. And looks simple enough to install for a nub like me...though getting the car lifted may be an issue. Do I just jack it up on both sides? I think I only have one jack...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will need to jack up the car on both sides. Using jack stands will allow you to perform the job with one jack.

I'm on air suspension to I don't push my car to the limits on corners but there is a tighter feeling to the body roll. I'm sure someone who is still riding on springs will notice even more of an improvement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised; not only did the strut bar improve the car's handling, it got rid of a lot of the harshness of the front end suspension going over potholes and such (we have a lot of those in the Bay Area). Get it!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hello boyz
i want to install it on my iq but i don't find any dealer that sell it in italy can u help me!!!!
You can talk to Danh at Tanabe USA and he can tell you if they will ship directly. (310) 618-0600 Let me know if you get in touch with him.

·
Registered
301 Posts
thank u taz i have installed the bar but can u mesure the distance from the bar to the aspiration header i think that the bar touch it when i take a bump

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank u taz i have installed the bar but can u mesure the distance from the bar to the aspiration header i think that the bar touch it when i take a bump
Sorry, not quite sure of the location of the aspiration header, if you are referring to the top of the motor, the black cover plate, there is just a little less than 1/2 inch clearance. Unless your motor mounts are allowing quite a bit of movement there should be no contact between the bar and the motor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts