Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As promised here are photos of the TRD springs and rear stablizer bar installation done on our 2012 IQ which I recently took delivery.

The installation was done by Garage5 located at 11600 Bridgeport Road in Richmond, B.C. and I am very satisfied with their work.
http://www.garagefive.net/

I wish to confirm that these 2 mods are probably the most cost effective ones you can do to your IQ in making it a really fun vehicle to drive. I feel the ride is very good and not harsh to me at all
and it truly makes cornering absolulely a delight (like a slot car....on rails)! :D

By the way, I did have the front stabilizer bushing replaced with those that came with the TRD rear stabilizer kit.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Congratulations. The rear sway bar does indeed make a big difference in how the iQ handles. Should have been a standard equipment item in my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aside from being "fun" do you notice any difference in the comfort of the car? Ive toyed with the idea of doing springs/strut bar/sway bar but for such a small car it rides very nice and I dont want to sacrifice that. I realize it will probably be somewhat more of a rough ride but is there a large noticable difference?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aside from being "fun" do you notice any difference in the comfort of the car? Ive toyed with the idea of doing springs/strut bar/sway bar but for such a small car it rides very nice and I dont want to sacrifice that. I realize it will probably be somewhat more of a rough ride but is there a large noticable difference?
JayAreOhh, although I thought the stock springs were really comfortable when I did the test drives (3 times on an IQ with about 7,000 Kms), I was surprised that the new car didn't feel the same as I thought it would.

I was pleasantly surprised that the car actually rode better after we swapped out the springs and added the rear sway bar. The car felt tighter and controlled. Our roads here are all paved and in good condition, so I can't really say how it will ride on unpaved or rough roads, but from what I experienced....the suspension mod made it a better riding car.

I would skip the front strut bar unless you intend to use the car for competition. The TRD springs and rear stablizer bar is all you need as a daily driver. Recommend you do the mod; you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle brake
Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting Hood

Megan coil overs are my choice suspension. I first tried the trd springs and didn't like the result,the back sat lower than the front, and the driver and pasanger side where not level. I've owned plenty of airbagged rides, hence my profile name. Air bagging was an option for this car and others have gone this route which is great if you have a show car and want to look good low and be still able to raise up and drive at a normal height, but if you want to be able to drive aggressively like I do then coilovers offer you much more controllability. I lowered mine a good bit, but you can stay all the way at stock height or even go lower than I did. I can adjust stiffness as well as height. Soft for daily driving, and firm for the track. I can tell you this on turns you will let off the gas because your scared not because the car won't handle it! The ride is amazing :)

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice job on the Megan coil overs. The drop looks nice and you'll have great control for sure. What is the price tag on those if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I paid about $900 after shipping so it was not so bad for what you get. The quality is spot on! It is a very well made kit. The car handles like a sports car. Night and day difference from the original car I bought. I'm also running the rear swaybar, and upgraded front bushings. My tires are a bit wider than stock. I don't know how to express the difference in words but if your down towards homestead ill take you for a ride, that will speak for itself.

thanks Taz, I. Also like your IQ and your stance. My last toy was bagged, so when it came time for this one I was going all out performance, and that's what I got. This IQ is a beast on the street. It may not be fast, but the handaling is spot on!!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Trd, and other springs will set you back about $250. For most people this will work just fine. For an extra $650 you get a totally different car, you can return to stock height without removing anything. You can slam it and still have full suspension travel within your shock body. If your going to go through the trouble of taking your car all apart it's almost silly to go any other route especially when you figure in the fact that with any spring kit you will have to take your strut apart and put it back together which unless you have the correct tools will cost you extra money and before you know it your almost at the price of the Megan coilovers. I also didn't like the fact that once the weight of the car was down my trd springs where all bunched up, which would make you think they aren't really doing much spring action. Quality wise I give these an A+ performance the same. I had doubts the first time around which is why I bought the Trds in the first place. Save yourself the trouble just buy the Megan kit and be done with it. The pillow ball mounts alone are an awesome part in this kit. Being able to set your stiffness is great also. I'd give this kit the green light for sure !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts