Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of the case where a woman sued the car manufacturer due to false mpg claims, and she won?

I'm curious because after some time driving the IQ, I've NEVER been able to get 37 mpg consistently. This is what they claim to be the overall (average) mileage this car can do.... but it DOESN'T.

Granted, I have bigger rims now and I don't expect to do the same as I did on factory wheels, but I never got it on factory wheels either.

The fuel filling and tank reading is also suspect. It's it a bit weird how you always get better gas mileage when you first fill up, but suddenly later (half way down) it degrades. This is scientifically ridiculous. The car is carrying less weight with half a tank at that point and there's no logical reason to get WORSE mpg. I'm thinking Toyota pulled a fast one and calibrated the float/computer to work this way so that on a test drive, or for someone who rarely pays attention, they will think they are getting great mpg.

Is anyone tracking their "real life" mileage? I would like to see what we are getting as a group of collective owners. With my rims, I'm getting about 32... and prior to that I was getting 34 on average. Mind you, this is driving in the exact environments the car was marketed for (highway/city)...

I'm calling bullsh*t!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Has anyone heard of the case where a woman sued the car manufacturer due to false mpg claims, and she won?

I'm curious because after some time driving the IQ, I've NEVER been able to get 37 mpg consistently. This is what they claim to be the overall (average) mileage this car can do.... but it DOESN'T.

Granted, I have bigger rims now and I don't expect to do the same as I did on factory wheels, but I never got it on factory wheels either.

The fuel filling and tank reading is also suspect. It's it a bit weird how you always get better gas mileage when you first fill up, but suddenly later (half way down) it degrades. This is scientifically ridiculous. The car is carrying less weight with half a tank at that point and there's no logical reason to get WORSE mpg. I'm thinking Toyota pulled a fast one and calibrated the float/computer to work this way so that on a test drive, or for someone who rarely pays attention, they will think they are getting great mpg.

Is anyone tracking their "real life" mileage? I would like to see what we are getting as a group of collective owners. With my rims, I'm getting about 32... and prior to that I was getting 34 on average. Mind you, this is driving in the exact environments the car was marketed for (highway/city)...

I'm calling bullsh*t!
im right around 30mpg.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My best tank was around 34 mpg and that was using every trick in the book. Driving it more normally, worst tank was just under 30 mpg and the best was 32 mpg. I cannot ever see it getting 36 mpg unless I chain it to a large truck.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
iqforyou, that is just shy of 20% lower than they advertised. That's not cool.
but i believe if we were on the TEST TRACK where they get those #s we may get the same,and there city #s are probably on a TEST TRACK.while they stop and go,with all the time in the world to keep there green ECO light on,man,if i sped up like that here id get spit on and fingered.or worse?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's my point GTIMKVI, I have tried "taking it easy" and at this point... I know the car very well. I know... there's just no way in hell I'm getting 37 and I'm a bit pissed that it was sold to me under the impression that it was capable of that. It's not even a gas money thing to me, it's more of a "I don't like being lied to thing."

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iqforyou.... I agree that some will comment with, "but those numbers are taken in ideal conditions." Here's the thing. They don't have to be in REAL traffic to post traffic mpg, but they DO have to have realistic simulated traffic environment and/or conditions... or they can't claim that you'll get a certain mpg in traffic. Because, that's what they've done... and we bought the car, drive in traffic and simply don't get that.

What makes me angry is not that it's just me falling short, but it's EVERYONE on this forum so far falling short. That's not a coincidence... that's bullsh*t. We all have different places we live... we all have different driving styles. Toyota simply pulled a fast one.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
iqforyou.... I agree that some will comment with, "but those numbers are taken in ideal conditions." Here's the thing. They don't have to be in REAL traffic to post traffic mpg, but they DO have to have realistic simulated traffic environment and/or conditions... or they can't claim that you'll get a certain mpg in traffic. Because, that's what they've done... and we bought the car, drive in traffic and simply don't get that.

What makes me angry is not that it's just me falling short, but it's EVERYONE on this forum so far falling short. That's not a coincidence... that's bullsh*t. We all have different places we live... we all have different driving styles. Toyota simply pulled a fast one.
i actually had no idea what the projected mpg was,i was buying it regardless,BUT,that said ,i guess i did assume it would be a gas sipping hero,well,ITS NOT.what can ya do.how i would have dealt with it 12 to 15 yrs ago would get me into a GREAT deal of trouble,so,i guess i will live with it,and like i said before my 09 nissan cube got between 15 and 19 mpg,and i believe the sticker said just below 40,salespitches are allways full of you know what.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went in knowing they claimed 37 MPG, thinking to myself 'I know I can get 40..."
And sure as shit, I can get 44 if I baby it.

Highway driving over 60 I am lucky to get 38, but the rural roads around here I can consistently get 42-45 MPG average.
True, I don't have any stop-and-go driving, just relatively flat, twisty roads.

On vacation last week from Meredith, NH to North Conway, NH I actually got over 50 MPG average.
I couldn't believe the readout, so I filled it up and divided it out myself. .1 (one tenth) of a MPG difference.

The moment you get up over 50 MPH, the MPG goes down drastically.
If you try to keep the ECO light on, you will definitely get better MPG. Coasting down hills helps also.

But back to the OP - Yes there was a woman who sued and won over MPG claims. I think it was Honda?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing I can think Micky is that, 1. You're in NH where you are more likely see a moose than another car in your way 2. You are driving in cooler climates which equals more horsepower

Anyone in normal conditions (with other people on the road) can not avoid stopping and would be drastically testing the patience of all other drivers if we tried to keep the eco light on all the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I consistently get 34mpg on mostly city driving (fwy and street traffic). Today I drove from L.A. to Santa Barbara. 240 mile round trip of mostly fwy with some traffic (about 1/2 hr) and some hills. I consistently used the S mode. I filled up before my trip started. Filled up on my way back and topped off at the end of my trip. My mpg for the entire trip was 41.7. I for one believe that I got what I bargained for. I never expected to achieve the 36/37 mpg consistently because I know that those numbers represent ideal driving conditions. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I just wanted to drop by and say I've been getting consistently 40-41 mpg (my lowest being 33 because I got really bad gas from an alsups in Abilene) I have some pics of my avg after filling up but they are only after ~30-40 miles (I would post them but I'm using my phone to post and idk how or if I could).

As to yalls thoughts on the mpg being off at the begining, mine fluctuates more at the begining but settles out as i drive more through the tank. I also do manual calculations and it has been higher mpg then the dash. I also happily got up to 59 mpg right after pulling out of a gas station but averaged about 52 for over 20 miles 3 at 45mph, 11 being 55, and 6 at 75. Sadly it droped cuz I got boxed in by truckers and couldn't control my driving anymore.

I live on the outskirts of Fort Worth and travel in traffic and on very hilly roads often, but even at 70-80 mph I never dipped below 38 mpg.

I propose that it may be yalls gas quality that is bringing your mpgs down considering some places put more then legal limits of ethanol and others put less. Just a thought considering my Abilene experiance.

I have forum stalked for awhile and thought about posting but never had the time, I'm leaving in less then 6 days for bootcamp. So sorry if I dot get the time to post in the new member forum. Incase anyone wonders I'll be a nuclear engineer, and this car is perfect for me and my life style I will be living.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello all, I just wanted to drop by and say I've been getting consistently 40-41 mpg (my lowest being 33 because I got really bad gas from an alsups in Abilene) I have some pics of my avg after filling up but they are only after ~30-40 miles (I would post them but I'm using my phone to post and idk how or if I could).

As to yalls thoughts on the mpg being off at the begining, mine fluctuates more at the begining but settles out as i drive more through the tank. I also do manual calculations and it has been higher mpg then the dash. I also happily got up to 59 mpg right after pulling out of a gas station but averaged about 52 for over 20 miles 3 at 45mph, 11 being 55, and 6 at 75. Sadly it droped cuz I got boxed in by truckers and couldn't control my driving anymore.

I live on the outskirts of Fort Worth and travel in traffic and on very hilly roads often, but even at 70-80 mph I never dipped below 38 mpg.

I propose that it may be yalls gas quality that is bringing your mpgs down considering some places put more then legal limits of ethanol and others put less. Just a thought considering my Abilene experiance.

I have forum stalked for awhile and thought about posting but never had the time, I'm leaving in less then 6 days for bootcamp. So sorry if I dot get the time to post in the new member forum. Incase anyone wonders I'll be a nuclear engineer, and this car is perfect for me and my life style I will be living.
Your post sounds great... but your numbers are WAY different than everybody else's.

I'm curious also as to how you are going to be a nuclear engineer and yet are just now leaving for bootcamp... It's a bit confusing. Are you blowing smoke man?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Your post sounds great... but your numbers are WAY different than everybody else's.

I'm curious also as to how you are going to be a nuclear engineer and yet are just now leaving for bootcamp... It's a bit confusing. Are you blowing smoke man?
well vancouver,looks like its just you and i in this,CLASS ACTION lawsuit,sure,you gots the action and i gots no class,but that jus aing gunna cut it eh bud.NOW WHAT? install my springs and consume beer.C Usoon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.