Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well figures I would do research on my mirror removal. It showed the glass as being clipped on the bottom and then rotated up to be removed. WRONG !
It is clipped on top and bottom like all of the others I have done. If I had gone with my gut feeling I would not of broken the glass. It is very thin mirror glass !
Did the passenger side second.
Rotate the mirror all the way up, use a wide tool about 3" wide to pry up and it will unsnap.
Rotate the mirror all the way down and do the same. It will UNSNAP from the top and come all the way off.
There are four snap locks on the top and a couple on the bottom of the cover. Push the top ones sideways to release. Starting at the inside part. Then work your way outwards. The bottom will unsnap when you get all the top ones loose.
Clean and paint it what ever color you want.
I am going with flat black.

Pop the mirror back on the clips, spreading the load so you wont break the glass..
Pop the covers on the front side.

Done !

Below is the incorrect picture that Toyota/Scion shows

New-1.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK

Who the heck has a replacement mirror ?

You know just the glass part ! It is held on with double sided tape. The local shops say to get it from the dealer ?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, there.....but in the spirit of the thread's title I'll just say the silver mirror caps look better with Blizzard Pearl than white would.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True.
But on a black and red themed car. They stick out like a sore thumb !
Will post pictures of it when I get them done.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Are you having them painted or replaced entirely?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Someone else had the same broken mirror trouble. They had to get theirs from the dealer and if I remember correctly it was 80$.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just painting the silver part flat black..

Almost everybody else (other car manufactures) sales the replacement mirror glass part for $10-25.
So lets rip the iQ owners off and charge $80.
I want to find a glass company that can just cut a glass replacement. It is just held in place with double sided tape !
Anybody out there good on a search engine that can find the mirror glass part only ?
I am not having any luck. Many companies that cut it. But naturally the iQ isn't in their choice selection yet !

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
It was indeed me. I posted pics on a thread here to show how to remove the mirror without breaking it. I learned the hard way. The part can be ordered for around $80 bucks. Sometimes you can get a little discount if you get to know your parts guy at the dealership. They give me about 20% off most parts I buy. Ask them if they can cut you a deal, the worst they can do is say no.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow..At first I thought, how did you get a picture of my mirror ?
Got it painted flat black and it looks 100% better.
Well with the exception of a cracked mirror.
I have one coming from England, I was wondering after I ordered it. If they have the ones on the left sides of their cars like the ones on the right side of ours ? You know "Objects appear closer that they actually are" ?
Does anybody know ?

IMG_0495.jpg IMG_0496.jpg IMG_0497.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
looks great,and again the idea is very appealing,i do have to keep our cars looking as close as possible,was supose to have my tailpipe instaled out the center back today but the tip wasnt the one i wanted so i shopped around and of all places Canadian Tire had a beuty,so it will be done soon.im now going with a double straight pipe directly out center a half in or so.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't understand why they didn't just color match it with the rest of the car..

Who carries Hot Lava paint?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might check at part stores. Some can custom mix paint up and put it in a spray can for you.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I have purchased paint from this site before. Always good quality and fast shipping. Paint Scratch dot com. They have all the Scion colors including Hot Lava.

Colors

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I think if I have to have mine painted I'll see if they can do the mirrors too. What do you think on a red car, matching red, or maybe black?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Red car, I would have red mirrors to match.......But any color but that ugly silver !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts