Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get out from a crowded parking lot in SE Calgary this morning when this garbage truck turned into the lane - he really shouldn't have, because the lane was too narrow for him to maneuver. He couldn't back up into lot traffic, so he motioned (imperiously) for me to back up. Unfortunately, this pickup truck pulled up right behind me and wouldn't move so now I'm caught between two trucks. Plus, he started honking at me, like as if I could do anything. :(

Oh wait, I could - I backed up and did a 90 degree pirouette into a tiny spot between two badly parked vehicles (with inches to spare!) then zipped out into the next lane. Last I saw, the garbage truck had pulled forward and they were both honking at each other.

Ah...the joys of having a tight turning radius, especially in a city that often has rude, obnoxious drivers! :)

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
and i was never really keen to the fact of this mentioned turning radious,then comes the time when it is as handy as the dickens,i pull it of and smile,on a couple ocasions my passenger has just replied,HOLY S^!T,pardon HIS french.:p

·
Registered
985 Posts
I do not encounter many obnoxious drivers around here, but I do encounter curious traffic situations in which the iQ's turning radius allows the impossible. Most common for me: being forced by conditions to back out of a parking spot in a certain direction when my intention is to go in the opposite direction. The solution (go ten feet and then do a tight u-turn) is elegant. Not many (if any) cars could pull this manuever off in such tight confines.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I've gotten in the habit of parking in the back half of a space whenever possible so that people don't think the spot is empty and rear-end me trying to pull into a space they think is empty (almost had it happen once)

Fringe benefit: If there's a couple empty spaces next to me I can just do a u-turn instead of backing out.

Once I managed to pull it off with only one empty space beside me, but they were wide spaces and I was parked on the far edge of my space and there was a smallish car parked in the far edge of the space on the other side of the empty one. If memory serves I may have had to actually back up at one point, but I still pulled it off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yep, I do the park in the back half of the parking spot thing with my IQ and also my motorcycle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've gotten in the habit of parking in the back half of a space whenever possible so that people don't think the spot is empty and rear-end me trying to pull into a space they think is empty (almost had it happen once)
Yes, I learnt to do that rather quickly too, especially in crowded parkades where the lighting is dim and empty spots rare. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yep, I do the park in the back half of the parking spot thing with my IQ and also my motorcycle.
Same here ... a part of survival!

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I've gotten in the habit of parking in the back half of a space.
That's a lesson I learned the hard way. I would pull in a spot all the way up and when I would go to leave someone next to me is half parked in my spot making it hard to back out. Lesson learned !

·
Registered
540 Posts
I was in Chicago on a road that had a stop sign and fool that could not figure out how to move. So it was a small street. But I just turned the wheel all the way to the left and turned around. love the look of the faces on some of the people.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Harley rider here too . . . and am accustomed to parking where others don't whip in assuming the space is emty. My best smile came when I approached a gas pump in the iQ only to find it "out of order" . . . no problem . . . . I pulled a Uee BETWEEN the pump isles and grabbed the next pump over without having to maneuver around the gas station lot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled a Uee BETWEEN the pump isles and grabbed the next pump over without having to maneuver around the gas station lot.
I love it! It's just a small thing but being able to just do a quick, crisp U-turn at the petrol stations to get to the next aisle over has been quite handy. I could never do that in my previous cars so I've had to adjust to our new-found maneuverability!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hit the Uie button.....:)
I was in the shcity the other day and busted a few U's and parallel parked easy as pie....so sweet.....

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm pretty lucky, circumstances allow me to do an iQ-turn every day when I leave the commuter train station. Of course, I could leave the station some other way, but what fun it that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts