Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether to get the stock 16" alloy wheels or to get aftermarket wheels. If I go with the aftermarket wheels, should I get 16, 17, or 18 inchers? I'm trying to fill up with wheel wells without looking too ricey. Also, what would be a good width for the wheels/tires to give the car a bit of a wider look?

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I'm debating whether to get the stock 16" alloy wheels or to get aftermarket wheels. If I go with the aftermarket wheels, should I get 16, 17, or 18 inchers? I'm trying to fill up with wheel wells without looking too ricey. Also, what would be a good width for the wheels/tires to give the car a bit of a wider look?

What do you guys think?
if you were to go with the stock alloys,you nwill be paying twice as much as they are worth for what i think is a bland look,allso the stock alloys are 16 by 5,therefore you will never be able to increase the width of the tire,dislike,look to aftermarket and your choices are many.i just got a pair of 16 by 7,i used the stock rubber which works fine,when the rubber gets worn i will chose a wider rubber,the stock ones are very limited.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
allso,if you go with 16s you can use your old rubber,17,18,or19,you will allso be purchasing new rubber$$$$

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
if you were to go with the stock alloys,you nwill be paying twice as much as they are worth for what i think is a bland look,allso the stock alloys are 16 by 5,therefore you will never be able to increase the width of the tire,dislike,look to aftermarket and your choices are many.i just got a pair of 16 by 7,i used the stock rubber which works fine,when the rubber gets worn i will chose a wider rubber,the stock ones are very limited.
lowering springs will reduce the gap,if you were to get aftermarket lowering spring and aftermarket 16 by 7 rims and utilize the old rubber and did the install yourself,you would probably be on par moneywise than if you JUST bought the stock alloys,IMO,its a no brainer.good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I could I would like 15" with big fat mudders on them, but then I would want a lift kit and a 4 wheel drive conversion kit also. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in the UK the models iQ and iQ2 run 15's from the factory, yet the iQ3 come with 16's, but they are narrow.

Fish

·
Registered
100 Posts
The wheels on the Iq stock are pretty thin. The tires I have on there now work very well. No rubbing or anything. The only difference is turning. it takes just a little bit more effort to make those really tight turns because of the width.

·
Registered
133 Posts
allso,if you go with 16s you can use your old rubber,17,18,or19,you will allso be purchasing new rubber$$$$
Hey iqforyou...

So the stock 175/60 tires will work on 16x7 wheels? That's good to know. Do you have pix of the front and rear to show the width of your new wheels. I currently have the stock upgraded alloys but would like to go to 16x7 to improve handling. I would like to go 17x7 but I hear these will lower the mpgs by 2-3 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Hey iqforyou...

So the stock 175/60 tires will work on 16x7 wheels? That's good to know. Do you have pix of the front and rear to show the width of your new wheels. I currently have the stock upgraded alloys but would like to go to 16x7 to improve handling. I would like to go 17x7 but I hear these will lower the mpgs by 2-3 miles.
yes the rubber works well on 16 by 7,although the tires are stretched to accomodate the new rim,they are still in a very safe range,i have many pics but not of the comparison you mention,BUT ,now that you mention it before work today i will be going to scion to book my first service and i will take such pics of a car on the lot and then of mine,man, you got me all excited to do so,lol.they will be posted later,thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
yes the rubber works well on 16 by 7,although the tires are stretched to accomodate the new rim,they are still in a very safe range,i have many pics but not of the comparison you mention,BUT ,now that you mention it before work today i will be going to scion to book my first service and i will take such pics of a car on the lot and then of mine,man, you got me all excited to do so,lol.they will be posted later,thanks for the idea.
here is a pic of the stock rubber on the new 16 by 7 rims. new rims.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Thanks iqforyou. That helps a lot. I can actually see where the sidewall gets stretched out.
yes you,can,i plan on wearing out the stock rubber,and then of course going for wider rubber,and at the rate i RIP around in this cool little buggy,it shouldnt be to long.

·
Registered
68 Posts
17X7?... Nah, I'll show you my 16 X 6 1/2" instead which I'm really pleased with.
Taken down from a 2011 Mini last October (fellow was going to 18" I believe)
If you're somewhat conservative... 16" I find is the best size.
Sidewall height is maintained for comfort/driveability and lightness is preserved (think MPG)

They're fitted with GoodYear Assurance Fuel Max 195/55-16 tires.
I thought of going to 205 wide but later decided on 195 (so they wouldn't be a burden to that little car)
580 rated tread wear index; tire is designed for low rolling resistance (thus it's name)
I need that car agile (lightness) and thrifty (MPG)
There's a picture "iqforyou"-style from the rear to show you the 195 width...

Note to whoever works with similar wheel offsets as to stock +45
There isn't an awful lot of clearance in the rear driver-side wheel well.
My mini wheels are +48 (center of wheel width to wheel mounting pad) which is 3mm more inwards than stock Scion iQ +45
This is less than 1/8 of an inch more inwards.
Using 195 wide tires on +48 offset 6 1/2" wide wheels creates a rather minimal 9/16" gap to the gas tank filler downtube...
Tire/wheel calculator is really essential when deciphering wheel/tire combinations... as in what can be expected before anything is ordered.
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

What I like about this forum is the wide spectrum of mods and attitudes... from tame to very exotic.
Count my iQ among the most toned down cars in this community but hey this fits me like a glove.
...eager to see yours; keep us posted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts