Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS some of you may know ive bin having issues with my satin "flat" black paint issues in the way of chips,ive now had it painted twice in a little over a month,no chips yet on second job,but i havent bin on the freeway much either.i find the hood to be sloped down a tad and think this will contribute to more chips?i took it in today to have the front end wrapped in a clear bra today,but learned that if we went ahead and wrapped the satin black hood,it would really lose the effect of the satin.wasnt sure what to do,would have gotten it wrapped in the carbon fibre wrap,BUT,since i have allready put 195$ out on having the hood painted,TWICE,i didnt want to change the look and i learned that option 2 wasnt as thick and therefore not as protective.SOLUTION,goes in for powdercoating,flat black, in a week.not sure if there is even a hood deflector out as of yet,and not sure on the look of one on the IQ?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey there Fish,the place that was going to do the application said nothing about such a wrap,he only had the carbon,and the clear,but it goes in for powder coating on sat.,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Friend of mine in NorCal Scion had his tC hood and trim wrapped in a fake carbon fiber textured vinyl. You don't get the carbon weight savings, but it looked tre' murder (I couldn't tell the difference and I work with carbon fiber spacecraft panels all the time), was dirty cheap, and doubtlessly rugged. Have a look into it. It would probably cure what ails you.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BELIEVE ME ,i looked into it,the carbon fibre wrap was much thinner and didnt add near the protection that the clear bra did,the carbon look was purely for aesthetics and the clear was for protection,the second paint job has as for yet,bin holding up nicely,put on many more kilometers allready with the second paint job,[freeway miles] and no issues.AS SOON as i get any damage it WILL go in for powdercoating to see how that lasts,final option would be the hood protector,which i am not a fan of.peace.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. Do you commute in a war zone? I've 3000+ miles on mine and so far nothing up front that don't buff out.
i had 2 major chips to the metal a week after it was painted,happened on the freeway shortly after a heavy snowfall and gravell was spread,ive put on 6000k since with no issues,and as soon as it get another blemish of any king it will be getting powdercoated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts