Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.Im actually a wee bit suprised this hsent been brought up before,or maybe it has,i find that upon trying to get up an go from a stop or near stop, does anyone else notice the significantly labourious get up and go?i would think it has ALL to do with the cvt.when i take it with me this season to the strip i will have to apply heavy brakeing,geter wound up good before THE EPIC LAUNCH.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's just the CVT. Sometimes "S" mode helps a little, but I feel that little bit of lag time you're describing too.

There's just no torque in low rpm so it takes a sec to get in it's power band, but you still should be able to pull away from the pack at just about any light. The only cars that accelerate much faster, SHOULD... since they have bigger engines and/or AWD....etc.

Also, a little of the lag is an illusion because you don't feel the shifting and it's one steady acceleration. You notice it more when you watch other people/cars around you. It's kind of like a zoom that draws away from them.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're not happy with that... try rolling off and then go to "S" mode or "B" mode and double tap your throttle.
WOW,now were gettin all SPEEDRACER here,I LIKE THIS,thanks for the input brother,i will definately need to play around a bit more.PEACE.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vancouver iQ, thanks for the great explanation of why this happens. I've felt it too and wondered what it was. I figured it was the CVT, but it's good to know why it feels that way.

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's just how I figure it to be, based on learning about the way the car works and driving it everyday.

Another thing that (I haven't tried) comes to mind is turning off your traction control and gunning it. I don't know if this will pep up launching.... but if you are going to take it to the track, you might want to rev it up in neutral and drop it into drive with traction control off.

--I'm also pretty sure the CVT transmission is going to hate this... but I'm fairly certain it would produce different results.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's just how I figure it to be, based on learning about the way the car works and driving it everyday.

Another thing that (I haven't tried) comes to mind is turning off your traction control and gunning it. I don't know if this will pep up launching.... but if you are going to take it to the track, you might want to rev it up in neutral and drop it into drive with traction control off.

--I'm also pretty sure the CVT transmission is going to hate this... but I'm fairly certain it would produce different results.
i have played with it with trac,and vdc off,no dicernable difference,as for the neutral drop,NAH.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HEY VANCOUVER,THAT GIVES ME A GREAT IDEA,IM AT THE TRAC EVERY SEASON RACING A BLOWN BIGBLOCK REAR ENGINE DRAGSTER,OOOPS,that would be a great place to treat you for a weekend consume rediculous amounts of beer and install my springs that i would hope to have by then,HMMMM.i could even hook you up with a female companion im sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
CVT trans missions are just that way, they are sooooo smooth and that they keep changing gear ratios so seamlessly that you feel like you are not moving.

I have a 650cc scooter that has a CVT trans it feels the same way, It is fast but it also does not feel like it is.

A better gauge is to look at the traffic around you. I have gotten to the point that now i give it a lot less gas and i am still pulling away from traffic, and getting 38mpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have noticed a lot of times when mine is colder. Taking off from a stop sign is a joke. I step half way down and it just kind of goes blah......Then once it gets a little rpm up, it takes off like a rocket. Makes it scary getting into traffic sometimes. I think the transmission computer needs to be reprogrammed so that the engine rpm goes up faster to allow faster take off.

It would be nice to be able to floor the gas pedal and have the car launch like a normal car does. But if you watch the rpm's it just kind of goes to 2-3000 rpm and just goes blah. Build up some speed and floor board it and it is a different story !

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have noticed a lot of times when mine is colder. Taking off from a stop sign is a joke. I step half way down and it just kind of goes blah......Then once it gets a little rpm up, it takes off like a rocket. Makes it scary getting into traffic sometimes. I think the transmission computer needs to be reprogrammed so that the engine rpm goes up faster to allow faster take off.

Exactly! Almost feels like you're BARELY stepping on the gas! Once it warms up, almost feel like a normal car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a 650cc scooter that has a CVT trans it feels the same way, It is fast but it also does not feel like it is.
westgi,
Burgerking 650?:) I ride with a bunch of them in the winter in FL and they do move on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts