Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed the 2012 Scion IQ OEM Sirius XM Satellite Radio Receiver Kit with the Premium Audio System?IF so are you satisfied with the reception?
DIY?
Time to install?
PDF instructions for iQ?
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I installed it last week on my premium head unit. I first installed the antenna under the dash since I didn't want to see it on the roof, but the reception was poor. I reinstalled the antenna on the roof as indicated in the instruction sheet and now receptions is awesome. Since I'm really picky and do things excessively clean (read OCD lol) it took me about 5 hours.

I have a PDF if you need me to email it to you.

I actually bought the xm receiver on ebay from a guy who bought one for his lexus a few years back and never used it. I paid $30 for the receiver, new in box but $100 for the stupid fit kit that is required since it has the data cable and antenna in it. Overall, $130 for the whole kit was worth it for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ottermobear,
Thanks for the response.
You got a good price on your XM kit and receiver.
I see the NEW Genuine 2012 Scion IQ OEM Sirius XM Satellite Radio Receiver Kit
which includes the receiver and the kit you mentioned on Ebay for $275.

I would appreciate if you would send the PDF to me if it is specific to the iQ. I found one but it was for a different model Scion. [email protected]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got them, thanks. I'll do some studying to se if I am up to the task.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Interesting, I've been doing some reading and it appears that if you use the Sirius/XM kit you lose the iPod interface. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
97 Posts
I loved some of the stations on the XM system that was fitted to my hire car last time I was out on the West Coast.

Shame they cant comment on if it would work here in the UK. :(

Fish

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
iPod interface? Do you mean the audio line in jack with the USB port?
Yes, but I'm still reading to see if that's the same unit Scion sells for the iQ. It seems a little cheap compared to what others have been paying.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The notes below come from the ad on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400273963483?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_886wt_956
Is this a big deal?

Notes:

• Conflicts with iPod Interface Kit
  • Conflicts with Head Units with built-in satellite radio

·
Registered
93 Posts
The iQ has a built in iPod interface, not the external iPod interface kit some Toyota models use. The back of each head unit (Standard, Premium, NAV) all have a separate connector for the SiriusXM kit. You won't lose anything installing it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The iQ has a built in iPod interface, not the external iPod interface kit some Toyota models use. The back of each head unit (Standard, Premium, NAV) all have a separate connector for the SiriusXM kit. You won't lose anything installing it.
Ottermobear,
So the note from the Ebay ad is incorrect?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ottermobear,
So the note from the Ebay ad is incorrect?

Thanks
Well, yes...That add is correct IF you have an externally installed iPod interface or built in XM, neither of which the iQ has, so the ebay kit will work. I think your confusion is the iPod interface. Toyota has two kinds. Built-in and dealer installed. If it is dealer installed (externally installed), then the dedicated port for an XM kit is taken, so you have to make a choice of XM or iPod interface.

Since the iQ has a built-in iPod interface in the head unit and does not have XM built-in, the dedicated port on each head unit (on the backside to plug the wiring harness in) only applies to one option...the external XM kit that is offered.

The ebay kit will work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The USB is the iPod connection.
Ok, that is what confused me. The missuse of 'iPod' to things that are not 'iPod'. The radio supports iPod functionality through its standard USB port. I was looking for a iPod specific hardware plug when everyone started talking about a "iPod interface".

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ottermobear,
Thanks for clarifying. I went ahead and ordered the kit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After studying the install PDF that Ottermobear was kind enough to send and getting an install quote from a dealer ($350), I have decided to send the kit back for a refund. I'll just load some music on the thumb drive.
Also, I don't need another monthly bill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After studying the install PDF that Ottermobear was kind enough to send and getting an install quote from a dealer ($350), I have decided to send the kit back for a refund. I'll just load some music on the thumb drive.
Also, I don't need another monthly bill.

You're on a roll with the cancellations! haha It really isn't a difficult install...If I lived closer, I'd do it for you. The instructions Toyota/Scion produces is subpar. They miss a lot of detail, do not clarify what needs to be accomplished and leave a lot to the imagination. I read the instructions as a guide, then did it my way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts