Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice! Two door combinations, lambo and no door.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The hinges are very durable. they're made of thicker metal then stock hinges. But everything is only as good as it's weakest part. I have had Lambo doors on my xB for a few years now. it's a daily driver and I open my doors up as much as possible. this puts a lot of wear and tear on the hinge and the bolts etc. I did brake a bolt once. I was able to replace it myself. The process does involve usually taking the fender off to get to the hinge itself. Other than that I haven't had any braking of the product itself.

Now with that said it stays open via a gas shock. The gas shock is basically a bigger version of the one you can find on the trunk or hatch of most vehicles. these gas shocks do not like the cold. therefore opening the doors to the up position in winter is probably not going to happen. well that is if the temp is below freezing.

Also the bolt I mentioned before broke while the door was in the up position. not good if you're getting out of the vehicle or something. Even with the bolt broken you can still open and close the door. although I did have to lift up a little bit.

With that said you can still open the door regularly to an extent. I would say 45 degrees depending on the vehicle. if you're a bigger person this may not be the best idea.

the things you have to worry about are the reliability of the gas shock and the bolts.

I love these doors and to be honest I would like to put them on any vehicle I purchase from here on out. They're different, they're fun, they catch peoples eye. are they practical? well that depends on you and the car it's going on. if professionally installed you shouldn't have to worry about them for atleast a few years. and even then it'll be something minor.

You also have to learn that when ever you're expecting passengers you have to for warn them about the door. if they go to fling it open like a normal door it could hurt the fender, the hinge, and even the person because it'll bounce back and hit them. lol... Seen it happen. you usually have to give lessons on how to open and close the doors properly. Or any time you go to get it serviced you also have to warn about the doors.

Over all I would say they're reliable and fun but they have their disadvantages as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could you tell us more about the carbon fiber hood? I would love to see one in blue/silver. I know you said it was expensive. Did you have it custom made?

·
Registered
507 Posts

Bought it in late Jan. from a dealership in Cali. then went to vertical doors inc for the first iQ with vertical doors. then finally over a month later we got it home.
Is that you standing beside the car? ;) Love your wheels. The lambo doors look sharp too!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Could you tell us more about the carbon fiber hood? I would love to see one in blue/silver. I know you said it was expensive. Did you have it custom made?

I allso wonder about the hood,time frame for it to be done,and of course the cost$$$$$$$,if you dont mind us acting,as you know mine is painted sattan black,it was actually done 2 times,within a week after its firs paint job i got 2 major chips on the freeway so in it went again,at ANOTHER 202$.that was allmost 4 months ago,its now holding up well.if and when it chips again,it will be going in for some wild powdercoat sattan.is the REAL carbon fibre less likely to chips and such being what it is,thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok carbon fiber....Carbon fiber is nice. it's light and earns some extra points at car shows. Scion iQ 2011 Carbon Fiber Hood, Carbon Fiber Hoods and Body Kits that is the website where I got the hood. I asked if they could do orange carbon fiber because I knew it was a color I myself could get. they charged me an axtra $180 or so for the custom color. So some things to consider before getting anything carbon fiber. 1. It's expensive. Sine this company was the only company making carbon fiber hoods I paid $1,200 to $1,300 for it. 2. the clear coat on the carbon fiber will eventually get old and warn from sun, snow, heat, etc. eventually it will turn white and you won't even be able to see the carbon fiber under it. ( a few years) at that point you will have to pay to get it re cleared. 3. it's not an exact fitment. on my hood I had to elongate the bolt holes in the hood latch on the car side of things. Even then it was difficult to close and put a lot of stress on the carbon fiber which is not good. it can crack etc. This is why now on my hood I have hood pins. the same with the hood on my xB. also it doesn't come with brackets or anything to hold the washer sprayers or lines. so you will have to glue them into place. Now as far as colors are concerned I am not sure what colors they can do. I would check out CARBON FIBER - GRAPHITE - KEVLAR to see what colors carbon fiber they sell and then ask the hood place if they can do said color. keep in mind once hardened and clear coated the color may darken. the only other thing I can suggest is to bring it some where and see if they can mix some color matching paint into a clear coat it and re clear coat to give it that color. or do a carbon fiber rap. basically a vinyl carbon fiber looking wrap. I hope this information helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paint is easier and cheaper in the short and long run. you chip a carbon fiber hood then theres no just repainting it ya know. Thing is I know all the pros and cons of the things I do to my vehicle but I do them anyway because it's what I like. Or like I said do a vinyl wrap. personally I don't like fake carbon fiber. but it's cheaper and is still a bit different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts