Scion IQ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the privalage of getting my hands on one of the new BAWSS intakes for the Scion IQ, at this past Scion IQ meet at Five Axis, on top of all the other cool stuff I picked up. Before this meet I had never heard of BAWSS and when I googled it I really couldn’t find anything as well. So at first I was a bit skepticle putting it into my car. After Finally finding their Facebook page and seeing that these intakes arent just one off half rigged tubes I was more confident in the install. So I though I would share my install and my opinion of this intake.
First and foremost, I hadnt even looked at this intake before I decided to install it. I was given the intake tube and a box with a filter. My first impression was man I gata buy clamps and fitting, but I was wrong. After opening the box with filter I found all the necessary hardware that was needed to install the intake which was awesome. Way less then I’ve ever used on my other Scions so that made me chuckle a bit. Also after I unwrapped the intake tube I noticed it was embossed with the BAWSS logo on the tube, which I think looked pretty bad ass, considering all the other intakes I’ve seen come with just a sticker on the intake. Already I like how BAWSS thinks. I looked over the whole tube, all 18” of it and saw the quality that went into the fabrication, the welds are very nice, no pin holes and they ends bellow out to provide a tight seal.

I do also need to give credit to BAWSS that instead of throwing in some cheap eBay or China filter they went and provided a very nice K&N cone filter with their kit. This is also a huge plus considering all the cheap paper filters I’ve seen on other intakes, Kudos BAWSS on this one.

The install was pretty standard, as you’ll see in the pics, only needed two screw drivers, a Philips and a flat and a 10mm socket and wrench. Install took about 15min; start to finish, which I also laughed about. The intake looks great and sounds even better. Now I’m not lead foot in my IQ, there’s no need to be. But throttle response is better and I do feel better pulls when taking off from a dead stop. No CEL which is great and everything fits really nice and tight which is even better. Need to run the car for a few more but so far everything is working great. I’m hopeful with my pretty standard daily driving I can see some better fuel consumption and a little increase in power.

The only downside with the entire kit that I could find trying to be completely unbiased was the metal retaining tab that mounts to the only bolt you have to undo on your car is a bit flimsy and easily bent. This may have been incorporated into the design to allow some play when securing it, but I saw it as the only week point of the entire kit, which is nothing because it doesn’t affect performance or function.

Now before you ask I don’t know where you can buy them and I don’t know how much they cost, if they did I would have done comparisons with other IQ intakes as far as price. But I’m sure once they hit the open market you’ll see these flying off the shelves.

Now for the pics
onZGofb-20l99WKJW0W9dVd-JRWgo06yeksHLWlGpeo.jpg So this is what was included in the kit
Ren8wDn4WfITBkvR5JqoqreKjzS5YiXasQfpBlwHdoU.jpg My stock engine, doesnt look like much
2fwTiPx001SalyGcOM1UiUiUw68yWF1wHljPzaaQ9HE.jpg Tools of choice
1M_4mki0IUTLkoAhubF2TjDryq6Xvl1G9WLmJLD_MDc.jpg aZQTAARPudCUmVvDbUKyXux_eK21RK8SuMZNDNGD1DE.jpg Reel K&N filter included with the kit, DOPE
sGKRX3p3f8VjUWNgM7GzCFOj7-qXiUJeRJMWh9yFbHc.jpg Removing hose off side in stock intake
WY9B2Sx4IReRfRwkl1XDeCDprnMLzgVhx2wjF9AejZk.jpg sPVRZAAbNaRAzQ2Qj8bckDHnxf3_6IubIl1ZMcYjFw8.jpg Removing Maff, two screws and a plug
9Yl7Z7emfnYfG7kZRH1mag33-eJ0FF6KY2q0_-cGPPE.jpg Maff installed on new intake tube

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
EfdxIoGnPyIaf6ULgSsATQ8UpzKqAaY47PG2sPeVooU.jpg h_7JqAkwE-_pWcF3k2xtMBK_amEcHNKMDwPHzFY3MUc.jpg Check out the logos on the intake, ya the BAWSS logo on the tube is welded on, so sick

kCfwRapVjBC3NTPOTioSwF3fxtimvKtGvmYI_HZf1Fk.jpg Removed the tock intake tube, you can see the side by side here. pretty big difference

8m0MfxqiLG1cO1ArYfKAmrfBiqEkJCbjiVcvbIgsnHs.jpg Stock filter and air box Vs. K&N filter

Ren8wDn4WfITBkvR5JqoqreKjzS5YiXasQfpBlwHdoU.jpg HlfNJByks_7j1tW2KXcNCJD6X-YrIyfFc9HNQZBeaQw.jpg Stock Vs With New BAWSS Intake, much better now

EbBlhG3aq2xW5ijJXtR7Sb45SaGjsE6GJXaTBtLqv4o.jpg Close up of intake installed, so nice and shiny

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think, from the pictures, it looks really good, and the K&N filter is a plus. The only possible negative comment is that from the location of the bend of the tube is that when installed, the filter is positioned fairly high in the engine compartment where there is warmer air. I have the InJen CAI and when installed, the filter is much lower in the engine compartment, thus drawing a little more cooler air, how much difference does that make in the performance of the overall system? I have no idea, maybe not much......I just know that the cooler the intake air, the more of a performance increase is realized. But, given the small size of our motors, if there is a difference, we probably wouldn't feel it.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Great review and write up David. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Wow, that looks awesome and incredibly simple to install!
How much did it cost?
Does it change how the engine sounds?

Man, this board needs a +Rep feature, that was an awesome post.

·
Registered
214 Posts
BAWSS in matte black:

I was skeptical on the mounting but started thinking the intake should move with the engine and not be mounted to the body. Mounting to the engine creates less stress on the intake mouth. I don't watch gas mileage because i always drive a little faster than average. With the intake and 2in exhaust i think i have more power...or sounds like i do.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Looks awesome. Where do you find it? Tried googling bawss intakes and got nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I have actually been running the BAWSS intake for a few years now and in love it. Fits perfect, looks great, and performance you can tell is much better. A very high quality intake not just in material but craftsmanship.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello DirtyIQ - on yur BAWSS, any issues with check engine light? See anything in HP, power or MPG?
thanks!
Felkers

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've had the injen cold air intake for more than a couple of years now...it's a fine piece of work and its filter is positioned a lot lower in the engine compartment to allow the cooler air to get in....its fit and finish is impeccable. That said, I kept asking myself why you people weren't also considering it along with the BAWSS short ram system? I know why now....I had forgot what I paid for mine back then.....my injen cold air intake system costs more than twice as much as the BAWSS short ram system. Mine performs quite well and I am more than satisfied, but would that much of a higher cost be worth it to you just for the little more efficiency and power you would gain by bringing in the cooler intake air? It was worth it to me then, is it worth it to you now? That's the crux of the matter...... $100 compared to $220+, I do fully understand your position now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mistergib. I kind of like the BAWSS design with the filter higher and less likely to get wet in the frequent storms we have here in Indiana. Seeing a lot of posts that the air intake mods just are good for sound and don't do much for HP or MGP so, I"m not sure what to do. Currently I just have a K&N panel filter in place of the stock panel filter.
Felkers

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have both the injen cai and a low restriction Magna Flow muffler and a larger diameter piping from the cat back......which makes my intake and exhaust more efficient. More air in along with more air out equals more power, especially if that air in is kept cooler. So I believe that the cooler air getting to the injen cai intake is a definite plus for me......but just by itself, the power increase would probably be minimal. As a side note, in the 2 1/2 years I've been running this intake thru many rainstorms, I have never had a problem with water getting to the filter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the Info mistergib, can I ask where you got the magna flow muffler? I searched (a little) and saw them for Scion but not the IQ. Is that an entire exhaust sustemThanks,Felkers

·
Registered
989 Posts
I bought the muffler off of ebay......for cheap.....and the reason it was cheap was because whoever had bought it before, and without ever installing it, decided he wanted a different one.....so he returned it. Even though it was still new and never installed and still in the factory box, it had to be listed as "refurbished" and sold at a huge discount. This is a common occurrence on ebay.....what a deal! Magna Flow does not list a muffler for the IQ, this one had larger input and exit pipes to match the oversized exhaust piping I had installed. I just had to insure that the input and exit pipe were on the same sides of the muffler as the stock muffler that I took off, just for the ease of installation, and that the body of the muffler was approximately the same length of the stock muffler as it has to fit in the same general area, (under that heat shield), as the stocker.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks Mristergibs: That sounds like a lot of work but if you got a big discount... The only system I see for the IQ is the DC sports exhaust for around $325.00. I might get one. I have a birthday coming up in a few months! I'm a little nervous about ordering though - At 56 yrs old, I'd like some performance but don't want it to be too loud.
Felkers

·
Registered
989 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Daniel Reyes, aka Scrappy, bought that DC sports system.....not sure how loud it is though. Mine is a nice mellow growl....not loud, just right......I don't like loud either. Get in touch with DC Sports, they may have a sound clip you can listen to? Good luck! If you go out to my Photobucket link below, I have a sound clip of my system out there.......make sure you are logged in to this forum before you go to my photo bucket link, otherwise some funky browsing music will screw up my sound clip.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts