Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used a ScanGauge for years in a variety of cars. It plugs into the OBD port under the dash and can easily be moved from car to car with minimal setup. This particular unit has seen a few years use in a smart Fortwo and a Scion xA.

If you're unfamiliar with the ScanGauge, check out the site here: ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

It's a very valuable tool in so many ways. It's much better than the simple ECO mileage gauge in the Scion iQ, and provides a host of other information to the driver who wishes to know a bit more about the car.

The position I have it in now is pretty good, but might not be great for those who are in a hot climate. My preferred location was directly above the steering column, but the microphone gets in the way a bit.

I fashioned a bracket out of a thin piece of sheetmetal, painted it and attached velcro to the back.

The small tab on the bracket fits into a small gap in the glareshield, and that seems to hold it firmly. No holes drilled, no damage done.

The cable from the OBD is routed behind the knee shield, up past the ignition and behind the instrument cluster, where there is a gap just the right size.

At any given time the gauge can display 4 engine parameters, from a choice of about a dozen. I usually display Volts, MPH, Water Temp and RPM.

It also calculates current MPG (averaged over time. Much better than instantaneous), previous day MPG, tank MPG. The current MPG reading can be reset at any time, and on a level road it doesn't take too much time to experiment to find the most efficient speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you find any gems like the most efficient cruising speeds from your gauge, please share!

So far I haven't been able to get more than about 33 MPG, so I am interested in adjusting my driving habits a bit to maximize efficiency.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One needs a level freeway for a few miles, then do a few runs holding the speed steady. I haven't done it yet, but anticipate the highest MPG will be at about 55 MPH.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I've used Scangauges in the past. They are a rather cool little tool.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you find any gems like the most efficient cruising speeds from your gauge, please share!

So far I haven't been able to get more than about 33 MPG, so I am interested in adjusting my driving habits a bit to maximize efficiency.
Im also in for info such as the most efficient cruising speeds.

A simple way to maximize efficiency is keep your RPM's low, the lowest possible while still being able to keep up with the flow of traffic.

@ The OP, how much did you pick up that ScanGauge unit for?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're on Amazon for about $125. Considering the amount of information it can give, and the ability to scan and identify "check engine" codes on your own, it's well worth the price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts