Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want to add some additional LED brake light strips along the rear pillars that divide the rear window from the rear side windows. I remember seeing somewhere on here that there are 3 screws holding the tail lights on, but that one of the screws is hidden. Where the heck is it hidden?! I can't find it for the life of me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
There are three. The two that you can see easily when looking at the back of the assembly (close to the rear hatch opening) and a third on the opposite side of the assembly closer to the outside of the vehicle. It's hard to describe and harder to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are three. The two that you can see easily when looking at the back of the assembly (close to the rear hatch opening) and a third on the opposite side of the assembly closer to the outside of the vehicle. It's hard to describe and harder to get a picture of it.

Take a few picture for us i guess and just show us !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's actually the top inner one I'm having a hard time accessing. Do you have to take off anything else to get to it, or just the pull-off black interior trim cover? Also, the above diagram looks like there's some sort of screw holding it on from underneath. Is that the case, or is it really just the 3 screws & the tail light will pop right off?

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are only the three nuts as shown by the holes in the diagram above. You shouldn't have to take anything else off. When you get the three nuts off, remove the torx bolt attaching the rear bumper cover to the body, then pull out and unsnap the bumper cover from the rear of the wheel well. It's just snapped in. Slightly pull the bumper back and remove the tail light. The tail light has a wide hook under the bumper that prevents you from removing it without first loosening the bumper cover first.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
In order to remove the entire taillight assembly you must jack up the back of the car and remove the rear tires, then remove the black plastic panels at each side with 4 clips. You will then reach up and unscrew one Phillips head screw on the bottom of each light assembly which is attached to a white plastic bumper retention clip. After you have removed that pull off the two covers inside that are at the rear seat retention point, this will give you access to the rear of the taillights, where there are a couple retention nuts. Once you remove all of this, and remove the bulb sockets from each light assembly, then the light assembly can be removed.
i hope this helps you out.

best wishes,
Daniel

·
Registered
17 Posts
First, thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I had to replace the passenger side tail light as the old one was allowing water into the lens.

Second, I did this today but did not have to take off the rear tires, full interior panels and bumper, so not sure what @aigbagged is yapping about. Everything is easily accessible and does not need the amount of work that airbagged is mentioning nor does the car need to be jacked up.

I was able to unbolt the one screw near the tail light on the bumper and then pop the bumper off ever so slightly so I was able to unclip the bottom of the tail light. There also isn't a screw you need to access from below or behind the bumper like he mentioned - it literally is ONLY the 3 nuts that bolt onto the tail light that needs to be removed.

I've attached a generic pic with blue circles on where the bolt is and where to pop the bumper off from to pull forward:

My only suggestion is the bolt that is closest to the rear quarter panel - grip that mother really tight as it has a tendency to fall into crevices that cannot be retrieved.

Other than that, the entire swap was really easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts