Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to remove the sun visor warning labels? I ordered some Scion logo decals to cover the labels, but unfortunately the company got my order wrong, and I think the printing on the decals is bad quality. So I will be returning those decals. I'm now thinking my best bet may be to remove the warning labels instead of covering them up.

Several removal methods are mentioned in other car forums. Some people suggest using a hairdryer to heat the label and gently pull it off. I tried that, but it literally took me an hour to get a half inch of the corner off of one label, and there seemed to be a good deal of adhesive left behind on the visor. Other people have suggested using denatured alcohol on a vinyl sun visor. I'm leaning that direction, but it would be great to hear from someone who has removed the label successfully on an iQ - or has removed these kinds of labels before and has a good idea of what method would work.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I would be careful with the heat on the vinyl, don't want to melt the visor.

I've used steam to remove window tint before and it works great. Maybe that would work for the visors as well. If you have residual glue, GOOGone works wonders.

No need to remove them from my ride though....

Covered mine in leather.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I AM JUST ONE MAN,but i would like to see them back in,BLACK...can you paint them?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Visor overlay

Has anyone tried to remove the sun visor warning labels? I ordered some Scion logo decals to cover the labels, but unfortunately the company got my order wrong, and I think the printing on the decals is bad quality. So I will be returning those decals. I'm now thinking my best bet may be to remove the warning labels instead of covering them up.

Several removal methods are mentioned in other car forums. Some people suggest using a hairdryer to heat the label and gently pull it off. I tried that, but it literally took me an hour to get a half inch of the corner off of one label, and there seemed to be a good deal of adhesive left behind on the visor. Other people have suggested using denatured alcohol on a vinyl sun visor. I'm leaning that direction, but it would be great to hear from someone who has removed the label successfully on an iQ - or has removed these kinds of labels before and has a good idea of what method would work.

Thanks!

You may or may not like this, but it looks good and is a hell of a lot easier than trying to safely
remove those fugly air bag warnings.....I went to the local fabric shop and bought a couple
sheets of black, adhesive backed, felt. I cut them to the proper size, rounded the corners, and
then peeled off the back, and applied them evenly and uniformly over the decals and most of
that side of the visor......believe it or not, they look factory, especially since our interiors come
with lots of black material everywhere so they blend in perfectly.
This is actually the second car I have done this on, and the first one looked just as good, and
just as factory.
Here's a couple pics of my finished product, see what ya think.....only cost me $4 and no worry
about melting the visors.....here ya go:

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Great,thrifty idea.would allso go nicely with the theme of my car,hmmm??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mistergib, I like what you did. Thanks very much for posting pictures and a good description. I'm all about the cheap DIY fixes for this sort of thing. I think I'd personally prefer a matching gray felt if I can find it, but I would also consider the black. Hmm.

Taz, I'm going to think about the felt, but I'm also interested to know how you did the leather or where you got it done. I'm guessing it isn't as easy of a DIY job as the felt. It may be something you'd want to have a professional do. So how did you do it, or what kind of place did it for you?

I may try taking the labels off and see how I do. I figure, if I mess them up, I'm going to resort to covering them anyway, so it can't hurt - as long as I'm very careful not to do anything that will warp the vinyl. Tonight I think I'm going to gently spot test with Goof Off to see if I can start rubbing the label off without doing damage. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maggie, I saw those, but I wasn't sure how a small fabric patch would look in the middle of a vinyl visor. I think I would want to do with Mistergib did and do the whole visor if I decided to go with the fabric.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tonight I think I'm going to gently spot test with Goof Off to see if I can start rubbing the label off without doing damage. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I have read online that some people have had good results with pure acetone. I am not sure if it is usable on the vinyl on our sun visors or not. It is required to take the visors off of the car. Another method I see mention is with a hot iron and wet towel.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Mistergib, I like what you did. Thanks very much for posting pictures and a good description. I'm all about the cheap DIY fixes for this sort of thing. I think I'd personally prefer a matching gray felt if I can find it, but I would also consider the black. Hmm.

Taz, I'm going to think about the felt, but I'm also interested to know how you did the leather or where you got it done. I'm guessing it isn't as easy of a DIY job as the felt. It may be something you'd want to have a professional do. So how did you do it, or what kind of place did it for you?

I may try taking the labels off and see how I do. I figure, if I mess them up, I'm going to resort to covering them anyway, so it can't hurt - as long as I'm very careful not to do anything that will warp the vinyl. Tonight I think I'm going to gently spot test with Goof Off to see if I can start rubbing the label off without doing damage. I'll let you all know how it goes.
That was done by a professional. The visors were hand stitched, the mirrors are covered over but I never use them anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I tried Goof Off, a carpenter's solvent, and denatured alcohol (which I did not let sit on the visor for long because the alcohol is strong), and none of them worked. I sprayed the Goof Off on the labels and let it sit for 30 minutes, but it did nothing. I did the same with the carpenter's solvent, and nothing happened. I think it's because these sorts of products are meant to soak through a paper label to dissolve the adhesive underneath. Unfortunately our labels are plastic, so there's no soaking through.

I ended up using the stickers I ordered to cover the labels, and I think they'll do nicely. They have the Scion logo on them and match the car interior. I was a bit worried about how they would look because, well, I'm picky, and when you look at the Scion logo closely, you can see the little dots (like pixels) that make up the image. But you don't look at them closely when they're on the visors, and they're on an angle, which really helps the image look nice and solid. I think they ended up looking really good, and I love it that they go with the car's interior. They look like they're meant to be there. I'll post some pictures soon.

If anyone is interested, I found the Scion visor stickers here (scroll down): Visors Graphics - Cover up your warning labels You have to request a different size than the standard. I believe I ordered mine at 6" x 2.5". I just left a comment in the box during checkout.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Well, I tried Goof Off, a carpenter's solvent, and denatured alcohol (which I did not let sit on the visor for long because the alcohol is strong), and none of them worked. I sprayed the Goof Off on the labels and let it sit for 30 minutes, but it did nothing. I did the same with the carpenter's solvent, and nothing happened. I think it's because these sorts of products are meant to soak through a paper label to dissolve the adhesive underneath. Unfortunately our labels are plastic, so there's no soaking through.
I ended up using the stickers I ordered to cover the labels, and I think they'll do nicely. They have the Scion logo on them and match the car interior. I was a bit worried about how they would look because, well, I'm picky, and when you look at the Scion logo closely, you can see the little dots (like pixels) that make up the image. But you don't look at them closely when they're on the visors, and they're on an angle, which really helps the image look nice and solid. I think they ended up looking really good, and I love it that they go with the car's interior. They look like they're meant to be there. I'll post some pictures soon.
If anyone is interested, I found the Scion visor stickers here (scroll down): Visors Graphics - Cover up your warning labels You have to request a different size than the standard. I believe I ordered mine at 6" x 2.5". I just left a comment in the box during checkout.

Trust me on this one.....the black adhesive felt that I covered my visors with, (see pictures
above),looks better than any stickers you could cover those warning labels with....if you seen
mine in real life instead of pictures, you'd agree with what I'm saying. Mine look like factory, and
its like $3 a sheet and very easy to put on.....but, do what you are comfortable with, just my
2cents worth.
Covering stickers with stickers just doesn't seem like much of an improvement?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Trust me on this one.....the black adhesive felt that I covered my visors with, (see pictures
above),looks better than any stickers you could cover those warning labels with....if you seen
mine in real life instead of pictures, you'd agree with what I'm saying. Mine look like factory, and
its like $3 a sheet and very easy to put on.....but, do what you are comfortable with, just my
2cents worth.
Covering stickers with stickers just doesn't seem like much of an improvement?
If amaltheamoon didn't want to use a small fabric patch in the middle of a vinyl visor then I'm thinking a larger felt patch would be a no-go also. Just sayin... :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
If amaltheamoon didn't want to use a small fabric patch in the middle of a vinyl visor then I'm thinking a larger felt patch would be a no-go also. Just sayin... :)

One thing bad about blogging is that the blog sometimes fails to relay the intent behind
the blog, I feel that I inadvertently touched a nerve with you with my earlier response....never
meant to in any way.
My intent was to say that for the same money she could have done it with the larger
felt piece than just covering a decal with another decal, as there is a HUGE difference in
the finished look between doing the larger felt piece and doing another decal. Thats all I
was stating. If you seen the actual felt with your eyes, you would know what I'm talking
about.

Anyway, no disrespect was meant....

·
Registered
507 Posts
One thing bad about blogging is that the blog sometimes fails to relay the intent behind
the blog, I feel that I inadvertently touched a nerve with you with my earlier response....never
meant to in any way.
My intent was to say that for the same money she could have done it with the larger
felt piece than just covering a decal with another decal, as there is a HUGE difference in
the finished look between doing the larger felt piece and doing another decal. Thats all I
was stating. If you seen the actual felt with your eyes, you would know what I'm talking
about.

Anyway, no disrespect was meant....
You never touched a nerve with me - hence the smiley face - and I never felt any disrespect toward me or amaltheamoon. Personally, I would also rather cover the label with a sticker of similar size than use a felt pad (which is also kind of like a sticker I guess)that only covers a larger area but not the whole area. When it comes down to it, it's all in what you prefer really.

In any event, please don't feel like you upset me in anyway because you didn't.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
You never touched a nerve with me - hence the smiley face - and I never felt any disrespect toward me or amaltheamoon. Personally, I would also rather cover the label with a sticker of similar size than use a felt pad (which is also kind of like a sticker I guess)that only covers a larger area but not the whole area. When it comes down to it, it's all in what you prefer really.

In any event, please don't feel like you upset me in anyway because you didn't.
feel free to touch MY NERVE anytime you feel neccasary,I LIKE THIS.LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts