Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a remote starter for the my car. The dealership offers a couple different brands (Astro and Compu-start I think they said) but I didn't like either of those brands. After some research, I settled on trying to get a Viper remote start. The problem I've run into is that apparently there is no by-pass made for the Scion iQ for the Viper. I've run into this with a couple other brands as well. Has anyone any information on installing remote starters in the iQ? If you have information specifically regarding the Viper brand that would be fantastic, but any information in general would be appreciated. And just to be clear, I'm referring to the Canadian version of the iQ.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I haven't heard of anything yet but I am also looking into whether I can get a remote starter installed and what is offered. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. If you hear anything, please, update this thread as I am sure there will be more of us looking to install a remote starter and the knowledge will be valuable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the Viper 5204 Remote Start and Security system installed on mine. I have it installed at a local alarm store. The installer was searching for the by-pass information for the iQ, and I think (if I remember correctly), he couldn't find one for the iQ, and he said the iQ may not need one, just like the xA, then I dropped off my car and let him do the installation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Viper 5204 Remote Start and Security system installed on mine. I have it installed at a local alarm store. The installer was searching for the by-pass information for the iQ, and I think (if I remember correctly), he couldn't find one for the iQ, and he said the iQ may not need one, just like the xA, then I dropped off my car and let him do the installation.
That is great news if true. I'll pass this along to my installer and see what he says. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke to the tech who does our installs. He says that the USA iQ might be different. The info he's telling me is that USA vehicles aren't required by law to have alarm systems, and Canadian ones are. And, since you need a by-pass to get by the alarm system (usually?) then the Canadian vehicle might still need one. Time to do more digging for information I guess.

Yunkikan, if you're able to find out any more information from the person who installed yours, that would be a huge help. Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Our cars (Canadian iQs) come with alarm systems? Maybe I am not understanding what you mean when you say "USA vehicles aren't required by law to have alarm systems, and Canadian ones are". Perhaps I'm just confused. Wouldn't be the first time! lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What he said was that all new vehicles are required to have them. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive at the dealer (should be in this weekend) so I'll know at that point if it comes with an alarm or not. I personally could care less about an alarm, no one pays any attention to car alarms going off any more it seems. I just want to be able to start the car when it's -40 out without going outside first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Spoke to the tech who does our installs. He says that the USA iQ might be different. The info he's telling me is that USA vehicles aren't required by law to have alarm systems, and Canadian ones are. And, since you need a by-pass to get by the alarm system (usually?) then the Canadian vehicle might still need one. Time to do more digging for information I guess.

Yunkikan, if you're able to find out any more information from the person who installed yours, that would be a huge help. Thanks!
That's interesting. Mine came with no alarm system. I don't even find it as an upgrade option on the official Scion site. All I got is a panic button on the key fob. I have no idea how he has the remote start system installed, but I didn't get any additional charge on parts. So I assume he didn't have to install any bypass.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What he said was that all new vehicles are required to have them. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive at the dealer (should be in this weekend) so I'll know at that point if it comes with an alarm or not. I personally could care less about an alarm, no one pays any attention to car alarms going off any more it seems. I just want to be able to start the car when it's -40 out without going outside first.
I pick my car up on Friday and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a car alarm. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your tech guy (or whoever told you that) is full of crap when he says it's law in Canada. Otherwise, every new car out there would have a car alarm installed from factory and I'd be willing to bet my pay cheque that not all new cars do have alarms installed from factory. Vehicle mobilizers come on a lot of cars but not motion/impact alarms.

I totally agree with what you say about needing a remote starter though. I am hoping to have one installed at some point before winter again.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I pick my car up on Friday and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a car alarm. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your tech guy (or whoever told you that) is full of crap when he says it's law in Canada. Otherwise, every new car out there would have a car alarm installed from factory and I'd be willing to bet my pay cheque that not all new cars do have alarms installed from factory. Vehicle mobilizers come on a lot of cars but not motion/impact alarms.

I totally agree with what you say about needing a remote starter though. I am hoping to have one installed at some point before winter again.
maybe people are mistaken,ALARM for IMOBILIZER which canadian cars have,I THINK???

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah that might be what he's talking about. According to InsuranceCanada.ca

"Effective September 1, 2007, Transport Canada will make it mandatory for all new cars, vans, light trucks, and SUVs to be equipped with anti-theft electronic immobilizers."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very possibly. and on the good side, my car has arrived, and I take possession of it on Friday night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts