Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my rear view camera today. Thanks to the great guys at Beat-Sonic USA. The camera was simple to connect. On the Scion iQ the only connection to the head unit is the RCA cable. The camera connects to a 12V source that is hot in the ACC position and a ground.

These particular cameras are intended to be mounted to the license plate but I went a different route. I was planning on removing my rear wiper and plugging the hole. I used that location to mount the camera. The rubber nipple on the grommet had to be trimmed but it worked out great.

I have a front view camera as well as a module that lets them work together. I'll be installing that soon.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
What a cool location for the camera,great idea and looks inconspicuoslly cool,and the rear wiper just aint that important.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I saw on a Japanese website that Toyota offered a backup camera, I just had to laugh. In a car where you can almost touch the rear window while sitting in the driver's seat, it seems like overkill.

I want to personally shake the hand (and call them a dummy) of the first person who backs their iQ into something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I saw on a Japanese website that Toyota offered a backup camera, I just had to laugh. In a car where you can almost touch the rear window while sitting in the driver's seat, it seems like overkill.

I want to personally shake the hand (and call them a dummy) of the first person who backs their iQ into something.
This. Of all the cars to put a back up camera on...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thymighty, shouldn't that be EYERONIC? LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have no problem with someone installing the camera. To each their own. It is overkill to me. While all cars have blind spots, this one has the least of any car I have owned (not counting convertibles, of course).

They offer a backup camera for my GTI and it is very "gadget-cool." As soon as you put it in reverse the VW emblem on the hatch flips up to reveal the camera. Take it out of reverse and it disappears. Again, does a car this small need it? Probably not. Would it be cool? Yeah. When not in use, you do not even know it is there.

I just wish Toyota had come up with a better way to mount it that doesn't look like a big black zit on the back of the car.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I have no problem with someone installing the camera. To each their own. It is overkill to me. While all cars have blind spots, this one has the least of any car I have owned (not counting convertibles, of course).

They offer a backup camera for my GTI and it is very "gadget-cool." As soon as you put it in reverse the VW emblem on the hatch flips up to reveal the camera. Take it out of reverse and it disappears. Again, does a car this small need it? Probably not. Would it be cool? Yeah. When not in use, you do not even know it is there.

I just wish Toyota had come up with a better way to mount it that doesn't look like a big black zit on the back of the car.
i do not believe toyota meant for a camera install whatsoever,i believe that is where SCL chose to mount it,IMO,it looks far better than the useless wiper.again IMO.peace.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i do not believe toyota meant for a camera install whatsoever,i believe that is where SCL chose to mount it,IMO,it looks far better than the useless wiper.again IMO.peace.
Toyota does offer a backup camera. It is installed in the hatchback and sticks out from the sheet metal. It probably comes in handy in Japan where everything is tight. They even offer power folding mirrors. In the land of the Suburban and Escalade EXT, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@GTIMKVI, you'll probably really not going to like the front camera I'm installing. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
so,reverse activates the rear camera? and forward gears the front?or do you activate at will.im gunna guess the front facing is on when you chose and recording and the rear when in reverse.im having a very confusing morning over hear in canada.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The front camera can be set to turn on when the iQ is traveling less than 3 mph or use a switch. I'm going to use a switch so I don't have it activate every time I slow down. Should be installing tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
what is the intended purpose for these front facing cameras,security.or cuzz every once in a while you will be lucky enought to review the vid and watch a bird fly into a window,lol.and yes of course a scenic roadtrip for some nice video?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts