Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the deal.

I have one of these:

Your standard issue Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, specifically one of the Cooperative Testing Initiative models.

It's awesome as hell, but I think it would make a kickass lamp, hanging on the wall next to my talking Cave Johnson portrait.

Anyhow, I figured it should be a simple enough matter, right? Get a 4.5 volt AC adapter and some alligator clips. The battery box slides out leaving a pair of springs as connectors. Clip the leads to the springs, plug in, viola!

Except when I asked the guy at radio shack about what milliamperage I should get for the adapter he informed me that there's no safe way to do what I planned because it guns on C-cell batteries and c-cells don;t have a proper amperage and if I tried it I;d blow out the LEDs

So I'm hoping someone here knows enough about low-voltage electronics to help me out. I want a portal gun lamp!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Plug it into the cigarette lighter socket and swich off the traction contol and you should be fine as long as you are running standard tires :)

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, thanks. I'll just need to run an extension cord out from my car to the living room...fortunately I want it by the door anyway so that should work fine :p

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm worried about blowing them out though.
If I don;t get the right amperage I could end up overloading them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Electronic parts parts dont draw extra power just 'cuz it's available. As long as the adapter has enough output, it will do fine.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Radioshack use to be a place of knowledgeable people when I was growing up. Today, for the most part, they are just sales associates working a job. I never trust the opinions I get from them any more.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Radioshack use to be a place of knowledgeable people when I was growing up. Today, for the most part, they are just sales associates working a job. I never trust the opinions I get from them any more.
Which is why I come here. I figure if anyone knows about jury rigging LEDs to do things god had not intended, it would be you guys :p

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it working! Added a potentiometer just to make sure there was no chance of overload. Bonus: Works as a dimmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts