Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed the order for my IQ today :eek: and the dealer was trying to sell me on the "chemical" package - paint protection, undercoating, rust-proofing, and fabric protection. Does anyone have any opinions/information on the necessity of these items? Specifically the rust-proofing and undercoating, as the paint protection and fabric protection are probably not necessary for someone who takes very good care of their cars. Thanks!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
southerngirl,
IMHO I think it is a waste of money but I live in road salt free areas.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I believe the car has a good degree of rustproofing and other protection "as is." However, same as barnone, I don't live where there are harsh winters. You probably need more expert advise than what I can offer (from folks who ask about such things as block heaters). :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. That is just as i suspected, but wanted to see what people a bit more "in the know" thought.

LOL - here in Vancouver, it rains 10.5 months of the year and might snow once or twice for good measure, just to break the monotony. Realistically, on the rare occasion that there might be salt on the roads, I most likely will be a passenger in my husband's 4WD. I don't drive in the snow/ice if i can help it!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
156 Posts
southerngirl, living in the "other Vancouver", like you I don't have to contend with road salt here either and therefore have NEVER coated the undercarriage of a vehicle. As a result, nothing has ever rusted out either.
Toyota / Scion does not as yet put out a block heater ... like you, I also want one and for the same reasons.
Hopefully that will change soon ... hope, hope, hope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thecerkin - good to hear from someone in a similar climate. I think i will save that $1k and put it toward some other fun accessories! :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not "chemical" but certainaly paint protection. I would recomend the paint protection film either from dealer or better from an aftermarket installer who can cover more areas of car. Paint chips suck around here. Every summer they remelt the asphalt on the roads and put down fresh gravel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bohemian - when he first started talking about it, I thought he meant the film I have seen discussed here, but when I questioned him, he said it was more of just a clear coat and wouldn't do anything regarding rock chips - it was more to prevent fading, etc. The film i believe would be a worthwhile investment, but he didn't even seem to know what I was talking about. Guess I'll have to check into an aftermarket place for that one.

·
Registered
584 Posts
... just a clear coat and wouldn't do anything regarding rock chips - it was more to prevent fading, etc....
Any quality automotive paint, like what a major manufacture would use, will have stabalizers and UV fade resistant chemicals already in it and do not require anyother protective coat (industry standard is to have a clear top coat already).
macy_fargo.jpg
Ya'gotta get the tru-coat!

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I would pass on the rust-proofing but paint protection is a must. Toyota is not known for high quality paint.

That being said, pass on the dealer installed paint protection, it's a small strip on the hood. You can get your entire front end done with clear bra for around $400. Sounds like a good chunk of change but five years down the road you won't have to spend $1000 having your iQ repainted from all the rock chips. Just my .02cents.

·
Registered
584 Posts
...paint protection is a must.....
You are talking about the vinyl film and not the chemically sprayed on redundant clear coat, right?

...the dealer installed paint protection, it's a small strip on the hood....
The Scion installed paint protection film is more than a small strip. It is the whole hood, mirrors, upper fenders, upper bumper, and door edges. I did that and I got some aftermarket installed on the lower bumper area and lower fenders.

·
Registered
156 Posts
and fabric protection.
I forgot to mention ... Scotchguard "for upolstry" you can get in the supermaket works great for water proofing the fabric (many dealers use the same thing) and you will save some heavy bucks. One word of caution: NEVER get it on the inside glass!
I use a couple cheap plastic drop tarps from the Dollar store to cover everything before I go crazy with the spray can ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips. The dealer has (as of yet) not even mentioned the film type of paint protection. I have a feeling that they push the chemical package more heavily as there is probably a better profit margin for them. I will ask about it when I go back in to pick it up!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hind sight for me, I would have had the vinyl film all done by a aftermarket shop rather than my mixed dealer and shop combo. Cost me more than having it all done at once.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hind sight for me, I would have had the vinyl film all done by a aftermarket shop rather than my mixed dealer and shop combo. Cost me more than having it all done at once.
That's good to know... It seems that just about ANYTHING is cheaper aftermarket than from the dealership.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It seems that just about ANYTHING is cheaper aftermarket than from the dealership.
My problem always seems to be finding a good installer. On my previous cars the results were "okay" but not stellar (which is what I want/expect). Hope you have great luck in finding a great installer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts