Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate having a power port (cigarette lighter) that only powers up with the ignition in the ACC or ON position. I changed that situation today on the iQ. I cut the lead to the power port, spliced a new wire lead and ran it to a constant power source under the dash. I added a 7 amp in-line fuse as well. Easy to do and now I can charge my cell phone without having the key in the ACC position.

Here are some pictures of how to do it...

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that wire capable of supplying a constant 7 amps? Looks kinda small...
I'm assuming you are referring to the white wire, it shows steady 12v on the volt meter. Should not be a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Awesome tips/picts, Surfer! Can you recycle the cig port power supply back into the OBD2 port? It'd be great to have the engine Bluetooth dongle only power up when the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome tips/picts, Surfer! Can you recycle the cig port power supply back into the OBD2 port? It'd be great to have the engine Bluetooth dongle only power up when the engine is running.
From my past experience I don't think that would work. The connections are all tied together on the OBD port and it doesn't take kindly to having the power supply messed with. Would be nice though, no full time drain on the port.

·
Registered
181 Posts
From my past experience I don't think that would work. The connections are all tied together on the OBD port and it doesn't take kindly to having the power supply messed with. Would be nice though, no full time drain on the port.
Hm. Thanks for the tip. Won't be a solo job then. I'll ask around for somebody better at hacking/building wiring harnesses than I. Sounds like the original OBDII power line loading will have to be hacked before subbing in. Back to the spec...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts