Scion IQ Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm going to attach a portion of the change document. But yeah it refers to an "Adjustment" document which is a pain to follow. (Hopefully Toyota doesn't give me any trouble but it's not the whole thing)....

So pulling out the tube, aka "oil filler tube", leaves a lot of fluid?

I agree that your method is much simpler....
Yes, there is at least 2 quarts of fluid that's untouched when you remove the tube. You can see from this screen capture where the top of the drain hole is on the pan. Everything in the pan would be left behind. You have 3 options: leave it in, drop the pan, or suck it out. ;)
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper

My approach is the same simple approach used by many transmission fluid exchanges. Put back in the same amount of fluid that you extract. ;)

I'm surprised that no one else is performing a fluid exchange like I am. Maybe this will become the new standard? ;)

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about trying to go through the fill hole as well. Not sure if it reaches all the way into the pan. Having an oil extractor like this would also make the job much faster and save time on cleaning that shopvac https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24397-Liter-Evacuator-Dispenser/dp/B00LCEWR4A/

I don’t have much issue with refilling though. If I recall correctly, the drain plug can be reached with the car on the ground, while the fill port can be reached behind the wheel (although my tube happened to fall out and made a huge mess :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
771 Posts
This is very strange to say the least. Toyota should know that that elevated drain hole would leave a significant amount of fluid left.

On PriusChat there is always debate on whether the WS transmission fluid should be changed, and at what interval. The service literature does not have a change interval but does say to check the condition of the fluid at certain points/mileage.

I brought up a point from solution chemistry. Up to a certain point solute will dissolve into a solvent until the solution is saturated. Is this why they decided to leave some old fluid in? Intentionally leaving oil fluid with some solute on purpose? I mean they could have left the pan flat and raised the height of the overflow tube the same amount...

Thoughts?

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about trying to go through the fill hole as well. Not sure if it reaches all the way into the pan. Having an oil extractor like this would also make the job much faster and save time on cleaning that shopvac https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24397-Liter-Evacuator-Dispenser/dp/B00LCEWR4A/

I don’t have much issue with refilling though. If I recall correctly, the drain plug can be reached with the car on the ground, while the fill port can be reached behind the wheel (although my tube happened to fall out and made a huge mess :).

The method I use is incorporates a gallon bottle inside of the Shopvac to capture the fluid so the Shopvac doesn't get messy unless the hose falls out of the bottle. ;)
Water Boat Fluid Naval architecture Liquid

Plant Cookware and bakeware Flowerpot Gas Machine

With the top port fill hole, I can refill the transmission without any hand tools or lifting the vehicle up off the ground. ;)

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
128 Posts
The method I use is incorporates a gallon bottle inside of the Shopvac to capture the fluid so the Shopvac doesn't get messy unless the hose falls out of the bottle. ;)
View attachment 17262

View attachment 17263

With the top port fill hole, I can refill the transmission without any hand tools or lifting the vehicle up off the ground. ;)
Ah, good point, very cool idea with shop vac! I guess another option is to use a vacuum brake bleeder - they come with fairly slim hoses and have a handy scale for measuring liquids.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ah, good point, very cool idea with shop vac! I guess another option is to use a vacuum brake bleeder - they come with fairly slim hoses and have a handy scale for measuring liquids.

I looked at a few of those and found that some of those tools can't handle anything above 1/2 gallon of fluid at a time. This setup was very cost effective and most DIYers have a shop vac on hand to work with. I did look at an electric pump but I wanted to make sure my method was going to work before investing into that type of setup. ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts