Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Doing some research on adapting a bypass filter and external cooler fer the CVT and I came across some pictures of the K41B transmission. Seems there are 2 plastic plugs that were installed by the factory with o-rings. One is just above the fill port (you can see it on the left side of the picture) and the other by the transmission cooler (circled in blue). It would seem that the one by the cooler would be ideal fer a dipstick since it looks like it reaches into the pan. Any thoughts? ;)
View attachment 17111
The change procedure does not require a dipstick, although you probably know that already
Other than that, it’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure if there is a way to find out if it is indeed the place for a dipstick, since IQ’s transmission is exclusive to IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of how the current method of changing out the CVT fluid is rather messy or lackluster fer the amount of money being spent at either by a dealership/shop or DIY. I'm looking into using one of the capped pressure testing ports as my method fer changing out the fluid as well as installing a bypass filter and external cooler. I know CVT pressures can git up into the 800psi range so I know the bypass filter system will need a restrictor orifice that can handle that amount of pressure. I'm thinking at idle and in park, the pressure shouldn't be that high which would allow a valve to be installed so I can just open/close it when I need to drain out the CVT fluid to be measured and the appropriate amount filled in. Repeat until the fluid is as clean as possible. The valve would be removed after the fluid exchange. ;)
Not really messy, not more than an oil change - you don’t need to take off the pan, he explains it in the second part of the video :) ( or maybe there’s another video on it, don’t remember) But I like your idea!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Btw, the weedeacker sound went away after I’ve changed my fluid 2 years ago, but it seems to be back now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about trying to go through the fill hole as well. Not sure if it reaches all the way into the pan. Having an oil extractor like this would also make the job much faster and save time on cleaning that shopvac https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24397-Liter-Evacuator-Dispenser/dp/B00LCEWR4A/

I don’t have much issue with refilling though. If I recall correctly, the drain plug can be reached with the car on the ground, while the fill port can be reached behind the wheel (although my tube happened to fall out and made a huge mess :).

·
Registered
128 Posts
The method I use is incorporates a gallon bottle inside of the Shopvac to capture the fluid so the Shopvac doesn't get messy unless the hose falls out of the bottle. ;)
View attachment 17262

View attachment 17263

With the top port fill hole, I can refill the transmission without any hand tools or lifting the vehicle up off the ground. ;)
Ah, good point, very cool idea with shop vac! I guess another option is to use a vacuum brake bleeder - they come with fairly slim hoses and have a handy scale for measuring liquids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts