Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
Thank you for sharing! Sorry you had to kind of guesstimate how much to refill due to the spill. The Toyota service method is very DIY unfriendly except for the display of temp that you can pull up on the instrument cluster. I personally do not have and flat level surface to do it that way as well...

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
I'm sorry I delayed responding to this thread I do have the instructions on how to refill. I'll have to try to find it but haven't gotten a chance. (Busy week all of a sudden). I got it subscribing here:

All repair info is there. It is $20 for two days last I checked people will print to .pdf their own repair manuals. I did. I almost negotiated with someone to send all I compiled if I could confirm Toyota got their $20 but got a little suspicious plus was out of town and nothing became of it.

Sent from my REVVL V+ 5G using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
That big bolt is in the refill hole.

The bottom of the pan there is an "overflow plug" AND "oil filler tube". (All "temporary" reuse old gasket)

1 remove "refill plug".
2 remove "overflow plug". 6 mm hex socket
3 remove "oil filler tube". 6 mm hex socket
Fluid drains out.
4 install oil filler tube 0.8 Nm.
5 add fluid to refill hole until it flows out overflow plug hole.
6 when slows to drops plug temporarily.
7 add 0.4 L.
8 temporarily install refill plug.

To be continued need to pick my son up from school....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
I'm going to attach a portion of the change document. But yeah it refers to an "Adjustment" document which is a pain to follow. (Hopefully Toyota doesn't give me any trouble but it's not the whole thing)....

So pulling out the tube, aka "oil filler tube", leaves a lot of fluid?

I agree that your method is much simpler....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
This is very strange to say the least. Toyota should know that that elevated drain hole would leave a significant amount of fluid left.

On PriusChat there is always debate on whether the WS transmission fluid should be changed, and at what interval. The service literature does not have a change interval but does say to check the condition of the fluid at certain points/mileage.

I brought up a point from solution chemistry. Up to a certain point solute will dissolve into a solvent until the solution is saturated. Is this why they decided to leave some old fluid in? Intentionally leaving oil fluid with some solute on purpose? I mean they could have left the pan flat and raised the height of the overflow tube the same amount...

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Scion iQ
776 Posts
No way on this climate change planet would I ever mess with the cvt. That is 89 dollar toyota job sir. If you put too much or too little fluid you are pooched and your car is a big ol paperweight.
Goodluck be careful and do not screw it up trying to save a c note.
The official instructions to change the CVT fluid are more complex than for our '13 Porsche Panamera GTS PDK. I think $89 is worth it (if that is the cost to have it done properly).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts