Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing some research on adapting a bypass filter and external cooler fer the CVT and I came across some pictures of the Aisin K41B transmission. Seems there are 2 plastic plugs that were installed by the factory with o-rings. One is just above the fill port (you can see it on the left side of the picture) and the other by the transmission cooler (circled in blue). It would seem that the one by the cooler would be ideal fer a dipstick since it looks like it reaches into the pan. Any thoughts? ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Doing some research on adapting a bypass filter and external cooler fer the CVT and I came across some pictures of the K41B transmission. Seems there are 2 plastic plugs that were installed by the factory with o-rings. One is just above the fill port (you can see it on the left side of the picture) and the other by the transmission cooler (circled in blue). It would seem that the one by the cooler would be ideal fer a dipstick since it looks like it reaches into the pan. Any thoughts? ;)
View attachment 17111
The change procedure does not require a dipstick, although you probably know that already
Other than that, it’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure if there is a way to find out if it is indeed the place for a dipstick, since IQ’s transmission is exclusive to IQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The change procedure does not require a dipstick, although you probably know that already
Other than that, it’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure if there is a way to find out if it is indeed the place for a dipstick, since IQ’s transmission is exclusive to IQ.

Yes, I'm aware of how the current method of changing out the CVT fluid is rather messy or lackluster fer the amount of money being spent at either by a dealership/shop or DIY. I'm looking into using one of the capped pressure testing ports as my method fer changing out the fluid as well as installing a bypass filter and external cooler. I know CVT pressures can git up into the 800psi range so I know the bypass filter system will need a restrictor orifice that can handle that amount of pressure. I'm thinking at idle and in park, the pressure shouldn't be that high which would allow a valve to be installed so I can just open/close it when I need to drain out the CVT fluid to be measured and the appropriate amount filled in. Repeat until the fluid is as clean as possible. The valve would be removed after the fluid exchange. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, I'm aware of how the current method of changing out the CVT fluid is rather messy or lackluster fer the amount of money being spent at either by a dealership/shop or DIY. I'm looking into using one of the capped pressure testing ports as my method fer changing out the fluid as well as installing a bypass filter and external cooler. I know CVT pressures can git up into the 800psi range so I know the bypass filter system will need a restrictor orifice that can handle that amount of pressure. I'm thinking at idle and in park, the pressure shouldn't be that high which would allow a valve to be installed so I can just open/close it when I need to drain out the CVT fluid to be measured and the appropriate amount filled in. Repeat until the fluid is as clean as possible. The valve would be removed after the fluid exchange. ;)
Not really messy, not more than an oil change - you don’t need to take off the pan, he explains it in the second part of the video :) ( or maybe there’s another video on it, don’t remember) But I like your idea!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Btw, the weedeacker sound went away after I’ve changed my fluid 2 years ago, but it seems to be back now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You can see by the design of the pan with the tube removed that there is a significant amount of fluid left in the pan. The drain opening is near level with the lip of the pan and the majority of the fluid in the pan will never be drained out using the tube method. That leaves you with dropping the pan and the associated mess and gasket replacement. ;)

With the "dipstick" port, it could be easily used to suction out the fluid without the mess, issues, or cost of dropping the pan. This port could also be used to measure the fluid in the CVT (cold or hot) as well since I'm going to guess it should not overflow above that port. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So now I'm thinking of using that dipstick port to suction out the old fluid, measure and refill with the same amount removed through the dipstick port. Then use one of the pressure ports to purge the fluid out with the engine on. Repeat the process until the fluid is as clear as possible. I guess I'll have to order a couple of the 4 liter cans of the CVT fluid at around $90 per can. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did find that Aisin markets a CVT-FE fluid. I'm picking up 8 quarts and will be comparing it to the Toyota CVT-FE fluid. At half the price of the Toyota fluid, this should make the fluid exchanges much more economical. I did discover that ExxonMobil makes the Toyota CVT-FE fluid. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to git under my iQ today to figure out how to git to the plug. It's just below the bottom cooler hose and to the right of the cooler and can be accessed from the cross beam but it will be a bear to git the current plug out as there isn't much of a tab to pull on with the limited amount of space. I'll have to see if I can git some Vice grips on that plug tab to pull the plug out of there. ;)

It would better to order the 35150-48010 plug (has a bigger tab and a hole in the tab fer easier removal) and replace the existing plug with the newer version. I might have to look into making my own tube to fit into the access port and make it easier to work with. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts