Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still waiting for mine to arrive so I'll ask those who have their car already.

Can you disable the pass side airbag? In my other car you can stick a key in the dash and turn it off.

Is there any procedure for this? Or does the fact that it comes with 11 airbags that they won't let you disable them?

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to disable the passenger airbag. My understanding is that it only becomes active when there is a body (or a heavy object) in the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Still waiting for mine to arrive so I'll ask those who have their car already.

Can you disable the pass side airbag? In my other car you can stick a key in the dash and turn it off.

Is there any procedure for this? Or does the fact that it comes with 11 airbags that they won't let you disable them?
just curious,why is it that you would like to achieve this?for safety of a small human,cuz like surfcity local mentioned when there is NO weight on the front passenger seat,it is dissabled.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my Viper you can disable the front airbag. My son is still in a booster seat so it's turned off with a key while he's driven around.

Perhaps the sensor can adjust to the weight in the seat and disable it at a certain weight.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Dan, as far as I know it's against the law to place a child booster seat in the front of a car with a back seat. That may be why you have a cut off since you only have two seats.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think this is a Scion IQ though, maybe it is a Toyota? Where your passsenger air bag disable switch is i have a reset for the tire pressure monitoring system, and where you have a push botton to start and stop the engine, I have a regular place to insert my key.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
It is in fact a Toyota. As much as I love Scion there are corners cut on our brand. This is one more item on the list. Thanks for posting up the pics Xavier.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess it is a compromise. Under US law they have to fit the TPMS, and maybe they have to cut other things to make the car still compete price wise. Some will want the airbag disabling and couldn't care less about TPMS. Others will enjoy the safety that TPMS brings and never miss the lack of passenger air bag disabling. You can't pleae all the people all the time :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine is the 2014 model, it is all automatic, the front passenger airbag is controlled by the weight sensor on the seat, if no body sitting on it or NOT enough weight (a child of UNDER a certain weight) on the seat, the passenger front airbag is Disable Automatically and there is a Warning light (right at the Center of the dash) telling you that airbag OFF. If i ever need to put stuffs on the front passenger seat, I always engage the passenger seat belt FIRST (telling the sensor that no one is on the passenger seat) BEFORE i put anything there. But it is NOT advised to do so because when the car having a sudden stop at any reason or car being hit, all stuffs would shoot around like a bullet and it could be fatal. I believe it is also not legal to have kids who need to be sit on booster or baby seat, to be placed on the front passenger seat for their safety even before there was such thing as airbag. Now that with the airbag, it would even hurt them more instead of protecting them. Depending on country, state or province, i guess some of them would let you strapped down the baby carrier onto the front passenger seat (***Don't quote me for that) with the seat belt but the baby carrier needed to be facing backward, and since the baby(even with the carrier) is not heavy enough to trigger the sensor, it would tell you : passenger airbag OFF to prevent the baby being injure more by the airbag when deployed. I don't have any idea of earlier model of the iQ, so, no comment, just sharing my year model's spec. I believe different year, different model and different brand of car would have different set up and function. But I would 100% supporting to put our little love ones at the back seat if possible, they are so fragile and deserved all kind of protection and love. One phone call or visit to Toyota should be able to help with that question i guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts