Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm in the middle of making my final accessories decision for my iQ, and I'm wondering if anyone here thinks the paint protection film is a good value at $395. I do want to keep my car looking great, but I would think I could take it to the dealer to repair any major (or minor) paint scratches, and I doubt that would cost me a lot, but I've never had that sort of touchup work done, so I don't know what it generally runs. I mostly do 30-40 mph city driving, though I do take 1-4 hour road trips occasionally, maybe every few months. I'm already getting the mud flaps, an aftermarket sunroof, aftermarket leather seats, the cargo mat and floor mats, the leather shift knob, and the alloy wheels. So I don't want to add the protection film unless I think it's a good value. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yes, my friend has a shop and did that and the tint for me (pics coming ) as well. It is a good investment , will keep the front looking new, and 395.00 for the front end and mirrors is not bad. It took his guy about 25 min to do the hood/mirrors but about 3.5 hours to do the bumper as it was so curved.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Hi, all. I'm in the middle of making my final accessories decision for my iQ, and I'm wondering if anyone here thinks the paint protection film is a good value at $395. I do want to keep my car looking great, but I would think I could take it to the dealer to repair any major (or minor) paint scratches, and I doubt that would cost me a lot, but I've never had that sort of touchup work done, so I don't know what it generally runs. I mostly do 30-40 mph city driving, though I do take 1-4 hour road trips occasionally, maybe every few months. I'm already getting the mud flaps, an aftermarket sunroof, aftermarket leather seats, the cargo mat and floor mats, the leather shift knob, and the alloy wheels. So I don't want to add the protection film unless I think it's a good value. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
the front of my IQ allready has 2 significant chunks outa the bumper,and thats in just 4 months,i would get it.i wish i had.

·
Registered
536 Posts
when i buy my IQ, it have already some "chunks" on front bumper and door, if i buy it at a dealer i install paint protect first !
if i can install a KIT, may be a new paint and paint protect !!!

so YES go for it!

·
Registered
507 Posts
the front of my IQ allready has 2 significant chunks outa the bumper,and thats in just 4 months,i would get it.i wish i had.
Those chunks out of the bumper would be covered as long as there was no rust as a result. The only issues I ever had with my paint was rock chips from driving which resulted in rust and this isn't covered - at all. The only other thing they mentioned to me that was covered was paint fade from bird droppings. My car doesn't stay dirty long enough for that to happen. So I opted out. I figured I could touch up my own paint chips.

The undercoating, however, was essential. I live on the coast, next to an ocean and the salt water can result in some pretty nasty rust. Plus they also salt the roads here in the winter. I figure, if my car is going to rust it will probably do it from the bottom up. So there's 10 years that I'm protected.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I think the dealer offers paint protection as part of the warranty. "Exterior Paint Protection - 36 Months / 36,000 Miles"

The "paint protection" offered through Scion is only a small strip on the hood. If you are going to get protection get the entire front end of the iQ covered. When I had mine done there were no patterns available so my guy did it by hand. Now 3M and other companies have pre-cut patterns on the market so it's much easier to install. I have had clear bra on several of my vehicles and I won't buy a new car without it again. I had my headlights covered as well.

So my vote would be yes!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Those chunks out of the bumper would be covered as long as there was no rust as a result. The only issues I ever had with my paint was rock chips from driving which resulted in rust and this isn't covered - at all. The only other thing they mentioned to me that was covered was paint fade from bird droppings. My car doesn't stay dirty long enough for that to happen. So I opted out. I figured I could touch up my own paint chips.

The undercoating, however, was essential. I live on the coast, next to an ocean and the salt water can result in some pretty nasty rust. Plus they also salt the roads here in the winter. I figure, if my car is going to rust it will probably do it from the bottom up. So there's 10 years that I'm protected.
its plastic,be no rust occuring maggiebite,and wouldnt think regular wear and tear are covered??

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think generally that clearbra/protection film is a good idea, but I have had limited success in getting a 100% flawless install around here....always some lame excuse for little flaws that I had to live with. That was offputting. I did not get a clearbra installed on the iQ simply because I had very good luck in this regard with the Yaris I previously drove which also did not have a protective film. It may be my driving environs and the fact that I do little time on the highway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Surfcitylocal, I see your point about doing the whole front if I do it, and I found a kit online (in a very preliminary online search) that's $150 with free shipping to the States. I'd have to apply it myself, but I actually wouldn't mind doing that because I can try to get it as perfect as possible. It's also a lot less than the $395 film offered by Scion. More protection for less money. I like that. If anyone's curious, here's the link. There's a nice chart of what parts of the car are covered: NoChip Paint Protection Film Canada — IQ 2011, 2012 Scion 3M

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Surfcitylocal, I see your point about doing the whole front if I do it, and I found a kit online (in a very preliminary online search) that's $150 with free shipping to the States. I'd have to apply it myself, but I actually wouldn't mind doing that because I can try to get it as perfect as possible. It's also a lot less than the $395 film offered by Scion. More protection for less money. I like that. If anyone's curious, here's the link. There's a nice chart of what parts of the car are covered: NoChip Paint Protection Film Canada — IQ 2011, 2012 Scion 3M
I would not advise doing it yourself as took my friends shop w the actual cut out from computercut.com 3.5 hours just for the bumper as it is one piece and it is very curved/thick film. You do not want to crease it up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did the scion clear and then got the lower bumper piece from ebay that scion didn't offer/do. When I had my windows custom tinted I took the film to them (they did paint protection also) and had them apply it. It was expensive just for install of film, 380$ but with such a large piece I wasn't comfortable doing it in my driveway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
IT IS A MUST!

I had it done the day after I got the car. It took them the better part of the afternoon to do the job. There are a lot of complex curves. I had the entire front end and fenders done. Also had a strip put on the top of the back bumper to stop scratches when loading the hatch and both mirror housings were done.

Fifteen minutes into my drive home, debris flew up on the road and pummeled the two cars in front of me and one piece grazed the front edge of my left front fender. It scuffed the film. Had the film not been there, I would have had a large chunk of missing paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts