Scion IQ Forum : Scion iQ Prices, Tech, MPG and Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if those with a 2012 or 2013 IQ are still going on the original Japanese battery? They say the short and frequent trips under 20 miles are hard on starter batteries and my IQ is almost all short trips of 6 miles or less. (My IQ has a Furukawa battery). Anyone experience dead original battery already?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is a 2012 and I'm still running the original battery. I did have to charge it when I got it out for the first time this spring. I store mine over the winter as I live in a very rural area and need 4wd to get out of my driveway. Also, my trips aren't short as my commute is 75 miles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get an Autocraft silver 2-yr battery for $109.00 plus I got a $20.00 coupon at Advanced Auto. I know one thing, their list of batteries that fit the IQ is not right and it took them a couple of tries to find one that will fit!

Felkers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wondering if those with a 2012 or 2013 IQ are still going on the original Japanese battery? They say the short and frequent trips under 20 miles are hard on starter batteries and my IQ is almost all short trips of 6 miles or less. (My IQ has a Furukawa battery). Anyone experience dead original battery already?
i know this is an old, dead thread, but I just wanted to say that my original Japanese battery in my 2012 is still going strong 9 years later! I think I am going to switch it out anyway, but the voltage is still showing 12.58 when cold! Pretty amazing!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I bought my '14 used in '17 and it had an aftermarket Energizer battery. Right now it has a Yuasa AGM (with JIS to SAE terminal rings) that I was concerned (borderline) for my elderly parents so pulled from their Prius.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine is also original, but I can tell it has only enough capacity to start the car once or twice, which is fine around town. I'm procrastinating, but will need to replace it eventually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is 2014 and still with the Original battery, I only got 35,000 KM on my iQ . But i had attached a Pig Tail of a "Mini Battery Tender Junior" on my battery and have my battery maintained once in a while (Trickle charging might be once a week). My car will start at the first crank. I considered i am very lucky since an average battery would only last about 5 years I guessed, anything after 5 years is a GAIN.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i know this is an old, dead thread, but I just wanted to say that my original Japanese battery in my 2012 is still going strong 9 years later! I think I am going to switch it out anyway, but the voltage is still showing 12.58 when cold! Pretty amazing!
Very Glad to hear that, you must have been taken good care of your iQ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts