Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In past posts I mentioned how my USB port (by the shifter) doesn't get power/doesn't work. I pulled my stereo a couple minutes ago and reconfirmed there are at least two wires not plugged in. The problem is, I don't see anywhere they could plug in. I took some pics, tell me what you think based on yours. Also, this is the base head unite (which others have said they DO use their USB with no problems).

Bigger pics linked below

Pic 1 = Back of head unit
Pic 2 = Wire not plugged in
Pic 3 = Another wire not plugged in

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Probably need someone with the same head unit to pull it out and take a picture. I have the Navi upgrade and it uses some of the plugs you have hanging loose.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
im wondering if the wires you c that are not connected anywher are hardwired to the vehicle or the headunit?if it is to the vehicle could it not be for the option of the upgraded head unit,either stereo upgrade or navi unit,allso have you tried severall different usb ,memory sticks or just 1.allso wonder if it may be what you are plugging in,i use mine daily with a memory stick,i once tried plugging my motorola defy smart phone in it in hopes of streaming music,and or charging my phone,it didnt to either that i could discern.peace.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I considered that the unused plugs are for the upgraded head unit. The fact they are not being used if they don't need to be is perfectly ok. But, my issue is that the USB doesn't charge my phone, or anything else I plug into it. For the time being I'm using the cigarette lighter as a source for power to charge my devices, but it bugs me that the USB port seems unplugged. I was going to look more into it, but figured I would post some pics first. When I pop the center console (by the shifter) it does appear that something near the USB port is also not plugged in, but I couldn't free the entire console to really lift it up and get a good look. I didn't want top break anything so I stopped...

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
All mine does is play music from a usb stick,doesnt charge or do anything with my phone.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure, but I thought other owners said it charged their device? I don't know the pinout on usb, but generally one provides power, and the rest are used for data... So I suppose it is possible that only the data ones are functional... but that would have been a stupid design decision unless the radio couldn't afford to be the supplier of power. Even then it would have been easy enough to wire the power in a way that comes from the fuse box as opposed to the radio.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Almost seems like the USB plug is disconnected at the USB connection point under the center console. It's actually pretty simple to pull the center console apart.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just checked my USB with a little laptop led light. It powers it ok. Some phones need more power than a standard USB puts out. If you can charge your phone off of a PC's USB you should be ok. I know I have a Dell phone that needs a special USB AC adaptor and cable to charge.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In past posts I mentioned how my USB port (by the shifter) doesn't get power/doesn't work. I pulled my stereo a couple minutes ago and reconfirmed there are at least two wires not plugged in. The problem is, I don't see anywhere they could plug in. I took some pics, tell me what you think based on yours. Also, this is the base head unite (which others have said they DO use their USB with no problems).

Bigger pics linked below

Pic 1 = Back of head unit
Pic 2 = Wire not plugged in
Pic 3 = Another wire not plugged in

I just replaced my stock unit with the Pioneer upgrade. My stock unit had a gray wire plugged into the back of the unit where your gray female connection is empty. It then plugged into the gray connector you show in the second picture. It was difficult to unhook it from the back of the head unit so I don't think it could have fallen out. I do not remember the blue one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So, to clarify, you are saying there was an adapter cable of sorts between what it was and what it is? Do you still have the patch cable? I'd be willing to but it, or at least see it in a pic.
I had to reuse it on the new head unit. I don't have a pic of it. I thought it was odd that a short section of it ran off the back of the head unit and then plugged into the gray connector in the harness.

In "surfcitylocal's" picture of his head unit, you can see the smaller gray plug in the upper left side next to the empty blue slot. That is what it looks like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dont know if you have had this figured out already but the IQ charges my droid no problem, if you are trying to charge an iphone or apple product, some of them require a higher voltage/amp output. So either there is something unplugged/malfunctioning or the usb doesnt put out enough power to charge. and the plugs you found behind the radio unplugged are for the optional upgraded headunits.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i can charge my phone and my sony mp3 player ,.......my usb works .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts