Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm sure most of you are familiar with the issue I had with receiving my alloy wheels 6 weeks after I took possession of the car, right? Well, because of that I had to drive around on the factory steelies, with hubcaps, while I was waiting for the alloys to arrive. These steelies are now in my shed waiting for winter rubber. So, since I know some people have had some issues with tire size and whatnot, I started calling around to a few places to price some winter tires.

The best quote I got was on a set of Dunlops - installed, balanced, taxes - all said and done $720.29 Not fantastic but not appalling either. I can live with this. Then I remembered that my steelies probably don't have the tire sensors on them. Just to be sure, I order my husband out to the shed to check them for me. (Kidding, I asked nicely) Sure enough, no sensors. So, just for shits and giggles, I asked my new friend Mike from the shop who gave me the first quote to give me another quote with everything but add in the sensors. When he emailed it to me, I almost fell out of my chair!

With the sensors added on, my quote jumped from $720.29 to $1446.16!!! It freakin' doubled! :mad:

It really irritates me to drive my car around with lights on the dash but I will NOT pay another $700 just to have sensors on my tires. I'll put electrical tape over the light before I pay that. It bothers me that, while the TPMS is a great idea for most people - especially ones who don't check their tire pressure often, we can't disable the light or something. *sigh*

Oh well, I guess it's only for 4 or 5 months out of the year but still.... why does everything have to be so damn expensive!

/rant

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sensors can cost up to $100 or more for OEM but you can usually get them much less . Without the sensors you can't disable traction control if you get stuck in snow and need to rock your car back and forth . Im going to be using nokian wrg2 winter tires that can be used year round , eliminating the need for 2 sets of tires .

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without the sensors you can't disable traction control if you get stuck in snow and need to rock your car back and forth.
OMG are you kidding me? Ugh - that's not what I wanted to hear. :( I wonder if I can get them to take the sensors off my alloy wheels and put them on my winter rims - just for this season? I am going to look into the Tirerack sensors also. The quote I was given said each sensor is $144.50 so I'm not sure where they are getting them from.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Hi maggie, yes, the sensors can be transferd over, costhere is 17$ per sensor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also went out not long ago and got a quote on some winter tires and rims. I was told that there was only one company that makes winter tires to fit the iQ (I think it was Dunlap) and was quoted about $900 for the tires, rims, sensors, and installation. The sensors were about $50 each, for $200 for the 4. I was told however that there's some kind of locking ring or something to hold them in place, so in theory it should be fairly easy to transfer them from one set of rims to another. A bit higher than I expected to be honest. I suspect I'll just shop around to see if what I was told is true or not, and if I can find more options for winter tires.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Oh, i actually got a deal through my brother, all rubber and sensors transferd to my new rims was 75$,a fine deal indeed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe that's what I will do for now - transfer them over. Another option is to just put the winter tires on the alloy rims but I don't want to take the chance of salt running my wheels.

Ahye, that's a fantastic deal actually - rubber, rims, sensors and installation. That probably covers balancing also. Must be because you guys don't pay tax. I'm going to do some more shopping around as well and see if I can't score a better deal.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm going to do some more shopping around as well and see if I can't score a better deal.
An excellent strategy! I guess I'm thinking winter is miles off because it gets here for a only a day or so in January. For others it arrives much sooner.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am gonna run my winter steelies without sensors.
At over $250 for the sensors, another $100 for the dealer to program them it isn't worth it.
I have found Pirelli's for $115 each, no Goodyears yet...

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
You guys must get tons of snow in your neck of the woods ! We get our fair share here in Ohio but I just run on all season radials year round with no problem. I've never owned a set of snow tires but I bet they would look great on my Buggy's alloy rims year round ! Nice and Beefy...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys must get tons of snow in your neck of the woods ! We get our fair share here in Ohio but I just run on all season radials year round with no problem. I've never owned a set of snow tires but I bet they would look great on my Buggy's alloy rims year round ! Nice and Beefy...
No, we don't get a lot really. I mean, most of winters are quite mild and when it does snow, we usually get anywhere between 5 and 15 cms (around 5 inches) but every once in awhile we will get a big storm which can dump anywhere between 25 to 30 cms (around 12 inches) and if the plow hasn't gone by on the street yet, the roads are pretty messy. I find it easier to have summer wheels and winter wheels. And I find snow tires bite into the snow better than all seasons.

I am trying to avoid putting winter tires on my alloy rims for the fear that the salt they lay on the roads here in the winter will damage the finish.

Micky, doesn't it concern you that you can't turn off the traction control if you have no sensors? I worry about getting stuck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Relax .unplug the light and go sensorless.........we did it for years ............ This is just a damn marketing racket....... I will rip the sensors out and throw them as far as I can......

It is all due to the GOV and the Firestone tire ordeal........ Yea just what we need Big GOV costing us $100 more per tire.........

Thanx DC

I am pretty sure I can tell when I have a flat.......thanks,,,,,,,,,,

There is about a 5 year life on the batteries in these sensors...and instead of replacing the cheap battery ..we throw the whole thing away ,mount a new one,sock the owner for $$$$$ and increase global pollution by manufacturing a NEW sensor and throwing a good one away over a cheap battery.....

BULLSHIT

Way to be green I tell ya........

Tire dealers are already positioning themselfs to shaft you for these things......the paperwork has been sent out and they expect a flood when these batteries start dying.

We are being roped in on another Unnecessary expense...........

I will NOT buy ANY damn tire sensor........Lemmings.........jump off the cliff........buy some.....

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I'm really not liking the TPMS sensors after listening to you guys here! metalhead100 has a good point in that I can tell and feel when a tire is compromised and have enough smarts to check the tire pressures once and awhile. After all the posts I've read about the TPMS in this car I think I want it out of my Buggy. I like the idea of a sensor letting me know if theres a leak in one of the tires or low pressures, but to disable my control over the vechicle without them (iqfanatic; can't disable traction control) bugs the crap out of me.
I understand the need for safety features but to me, the driver should always have control over the functions of the car........

Maggie you have a good point on the snow...We get those five to ten plus inches every now and then during winter here and what bothers me is the low ground clearance. I still have my steelies and hubcaps and with such a low car I may have to re-think the snow tire thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We get average snow storms around 6" and the occasional 2-3 foot blast. I've never bought snow tires and likely won't. All season tires have always done just fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am gonna run my winter steelies without sensors.
At over $250 for the sensors, another $100 for the dealer to program them it isn't worth it.
I have found Pirelli's for $115 each, no Goodyears yet...
I'm doing the same as Micky. It makes no sense to me to worry if the "idiot light" I don't care about anyway burns out or not. As for taction control - too many years driving with no such thing so it makes no difference :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Relax .unplug the light and go sensorless.........we did it for years ............ This is just a damn marketing racket....... I will rip the sensors out and throw them as far as I can......

It is all due to the GOV and the Firestone tire ordeal........ Yea just what we need Big GOV costing us $100 more per tire.........

Thanx DC

I am pretty sure I can tell when I have a flat.......thanks,,,,,,,,,,

There is about a 5 year life on the batteries in these sensors...and instead of replacing the cheap battery ..we throw the whole thing away ,mount a new one,sock the owner for $$$$$ and increase global pollution by manufacturing a NEW sensor and throwing a good one away over a cheap battery.....

BULLSHIT

Way to be green I tell ya........

Tire dealers are already positioning themselfs to shaft you for these things......the paperwork has been sent out and they expect a flood when these batteries start dying.

We are being roped in on another Unnecessary expense...........

I will NOT buy ANY damn tire sensor........Lemmings.........jump off the cliff........buy some.....

LOL Ahhh come on Metalhead....tell us how you REALLY feel. ;) Seriously, I totally understand where you are coming from but if I can't disable traction control without having the sensors then I have to buy them. Hate doing it but what else can I do?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We get average snow storms around 6" and the occasional 2-3 foot blast. I've never bought snow tires and likely won't. All season tires have always done just fine.
You plan on driving your iQ in 2 to 3 feet of snow without snow tires?!? All the best to ya! New England isn't far from Nova Scotia and I'll bet money your winters are very close to ours. I wouldn't want to be on the roads, in a blizzard, on anything but snow tires. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm doing the same as Micky. It makes no sense to me to worry if the "idiot light" I don't care about anyway burns out or not. As for taction control - too many years driving with no such thing so it makes no difference :)
Forgive me if I am wrong but with older cars you didn't have an option turn the spinning of the wheels on and off. In every car I have ever owned I was able to spin my tires if I got stuck in order to gain more traction and become unstuck. If you can't disable that then how do you become unstuck?

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole disable traction control thing. I thought that by pressing that button, it allows me to turn off traction control and spin my tires in case I get stuck. I think this would be an important thing to be able to do on any car, wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but with older cars you didn't have an option turn the spinning of the wheels on and off. In every car I have ever owned I was able to spin my tires if I got stuck in order to gain more traction and become unstuck. If you can't disable that then how do you become unstuck?

Maybe I'm not understanding the whole disable traction control thing. I thought that by pressing that button, it allows me to turn off traction control and spin my tires in case I get stuck. I think this would be an important thing to be able to do on any car, wouldn't it?
Right on Maggie......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts