Scion IQ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the honor today of having the very first OEM Audio + Reference 300CF System installed in my iQ. Daniel and Richard from OEM Audio + met me at the FIVE:AD secret garage and installed the system.

To say that the stock audio system in the Scion iQ is lacking is more than an understatement. There is not a lot of room to add an audio system inside the iQ so I was overjoyed to have OEM Audio + use my iQ as the first to get the system installed.

Here is what the system consists of:

Two 1" Soft Dome Tweeters
Two 6.5" Carbon Fiber Cone Woofers
One 8" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer with enclosure
One Mulit-Channel 32-bit DSP Power Amplifier
One Quick Sync Wiring Harness

The speakers are installed in the stock locations and the amplifier is mounted under the dash behind the passenger side airbag. You can see the subwoofer enclosure mounted behind the rear seat but other than that the system is invisible.

The sound quality is nothing short of amazing. I had heard the system demonstration last year at the FVIE:AD open house event and knew right then they had something special. Even my wife was impressed and she is not easily impressed.

Along with the installation there is a CD included that really tests out the system. If you start the CD and close your eyes you would never guess you were sitting in that little car. The sound is big, really big and clean. Listening to all different types of music today gave me such a thrill, some rap, classical, vocals and even country sounded spectacular. If I sound like I'm gushing over this system, you will be too when you hear it.

If you see me at a show or event come over and I'll demonstrate it for you.

Here are some pictures of the system and installation...

Richard from OEM Audio + wiring the power.

You can see the difference between the stock door speaker and the OEM Audio + 6.5" Carbon Fiber Cone Woofer. The bass that comes from the door now is deep and clean.

Installing the door speakers in the stock location. No speaker rings needed, these are made to fit exactly the stock mounts in the door.

Shows the difference between the wimpy little 1" tweeter from Scion and the beefy 1" soft dome tweeter from OEM Audio +. Super clean highs.

The tweeter is installed in the stock location.

The 32-bit DSP Power Amplifier is mounted beneath the dash and behind the passenger side air bag.

The 8" Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Enclosure is specifically designed for the iQ's cabin and fits perfectly behind the rear seat. (removal of the storage bin is required)

There is no way to explain how great this system sounds without hearing it in person.

Many thanks to OEM Audio + for the system and installation today at FIVE:AD. I'm in love with my sounds!

OEM Audio +

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
not much makes me tear up,THAT DID,how much$$my goodness,how much,i absolutely need one,music has carried me through some unfathomably tough times and still plays a massively important daily roll in my little existence,k,enough mushy gushy,how much$not that its feesible,just outta curiosity.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not much makes me tear up,THAT DID,how much$$my goodness,how much,i absolutely need one,music has carried me through some unfathomably tough times and still plays a massively important daily roll in my little existence,k,enough mushy gushy,how much$not that its feesible,just outta curiosity.
Suggested retail is $999. If you contact them on their site you can get on the list for production models. It shouldn't be too long before they are available.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Suggested retail is $999. If you contact them on their site you can get on the list for production models. It shouldn't be too long before they are available.
and from what i see,it is just the door speakers which are upgraded with the addition of a sub?what about the two rear speakers,are they amped up,left allone or disconected?does the US modells come as a base option with rears?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Really. What about the rear speakers?
I know mine came with rear speakers, it would be nice to upgrade ALL of them.

Great post BTW, I love it when you post photos!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Really. What about the rear speakers?
I know mine came with rear speakers, it would be nice to upgrade ALL of them.

Great post BTW, I love it when you post photos!
YES taz YOUR pics are very professional,if i was closer i would steal ya for a bit to show me how to do such a thing and tilt a cold beverage.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked the President of the company today about the rear speakers. It was a long and full explanation that I would be hard pressed to reproduce here so I'll give you the Cliff Notes version.

Each individual car model is tested for audio reproduction with the stock speakers in place. The speakers are removed from the vehicle and tested for frequency capabilities. The speakers that pass the standards for their system are left in the stock locations. The iQ rear speakers meet the requirements so they are left in the vehicle, reducing cost and installation work. The amplifier is computer tuned to allow more signal to reach the rear speakers providing just enough power to reproduce the sound accurately but not causing any kind of distortion. Some of the other Scion models do require rear speaker replacement such as the tC.

Thank you for the compliments on the pics, I always enjoy seeing pics in threads so I try to provide as many as I can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That sub box looks so tiny... I am having a custom box made with a custom sub from dd audio the speakers going in the front and back are the Harman kardon all powered by a 1000w amp made by dd. All for about $1600. I like my music loud but worried the system would not be good anough, for about the same cash, did your price include dealer install?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey TAZ can you tell us a little bit more about the sub and the box ie is the box sealed? Wattage to the sub?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The sub has an 8" carbon fiber woofer. The Reference 300CF system has 360 watts from the amplifier. I found out from talking to the President of the company that they sweetened my system a little by adding a powered sub to the enclosure. Mine is a little louder than the normal system but the clarity is just as good.

The amazing thing about this system is that it sounds great at every level. Low and high volume levels are crisp and clear. I really wish you could hear it for yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the one we can buy is not a powered sub... Any chance you could pull some strings to get me a system? I am willing to pay for shipping if it's the powered sub.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the one we can buy is not a powered sub... Any chance you could pull some strings to get me a system? I am willing to pay for shipping if it's the powered sub.
The system isn't in production yet. I have the only existing system other than the two prototypes. I'll let you know as soon as the system is available. Check out the website too, you can contact them there. I believe they only do the installation through Scion dealers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I want to look into audio options for my iQ, but I'm a bit anxious about the idea because, these days, a lot of people equate a disproportionate amount of bass with a good stereo. I hope companies making car stereos aren't catering exclusively to these people. I'm a music geek. I listen to everything from opera to punk rock in my car. So I would want an accurate system, with a good mix of high, medium, and low. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD380s headphones for this reason, not a pair of Beats by Dr. Dre. Haha. You know what I mean, Surfcity? So with that in mind, what would you say about this system?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
im not surf,BUT,i think this system is an all out beutifully balanced deal,im not the thumpin type either and music soothes my soul,i dont think that 8 inch sub would be capable of overdoing it but i bet it is just PERFECT for the balance you seek.but,i havent even heard it.YET.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts