laying in the back of my car.

Now, if I'm gonna do any kind of road trip, I will slip that baby in
back, and then have the assurance and piece of mind that it won't
turn in to a bad road trip.

A couple pics:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think somebody needs to find one of those tires that is flat and small that expands when you air it up. That will fit in that area ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Where is the spare in back on top of one of seats folded
down
That's where it will be on any road trips, but around town, probably left in my garage. That's why
I bought a black vinyl spare tire cover....so it at least looks decent when it IS in my car sitting on
the folded down seats. Either that or strapped down on my roof...(lol)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Actually, I think this is a good idea and have thought of doing something like this when I get my new rims one of these days. It'd go in back only for road trips.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Weight reduction to save gas mileage. Luckily usually with Low pros you can go quite far on a flat tire. especially with the weight of this vehicle. I have driven my xb 5+ miles on a flat in the front with out any problems... multiple times.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did the exact same thing but I used one of my "spare" steel wheels that were left over from FINALLY getting they alloy ones.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Now I'm picturing someone mounting a Jeep-style spare tire swing-arm to the back of their iQ ;-)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Weight reduction to save gas mileage. Luckily usually with Low pros you can go quite far on a flat tire. especially with the weight of this vehicle. I have driven my xb 5+ miles on a flat in the front with out any problems... multiple times.
Power to ya.....something I would not want to do unless I couldn't avoid it, and in this case, I
can. Light weight vehicle or not, driving on a flat tire is hard on the tire....and that's a fact. You
were just lucky you didn't have that far to go....

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
My concern with driving on a flat isn't the tire...the tire's a writeoff if you're running on a flat, my concern would be thrashing the rims

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys... how funny - exact same goes for me

I mountain bike on week-ends; that could sometimes get pretty remote.
I like mistergib cannot afford any of these problems.

This is when I pack a Saturn space-saver on the folded seats; it is tied down with a safety belt thru-the-hub contraption which buckles onto the floor anchor receptacles through the seat gap. It is desirable to secure any heavy object inside of a car if you were to have an accident.

Bits and pieces are carried in a yoga mat stuff bag inside of the trunk (trunk?)
A camping-like strap and buckle secure the lid closed at all times.

I normally leave the space-saver at home for common city driving... though it's been forgotten in the car many times in the past; not awfully obtrusive while laying flat when not needing the rears seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Nice job. I'm a long time AAA member and Scion has three years road side assistance. I'd rather let someone else change a tire or tow me in than take a chance on getting hit while changing a tire on the freeway.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Nice job. I'm a long time AAA member and Scion has three years road side assistance. I'd rather let someone else change a tire or tow me in than take a chance on getting hit while changing a tire on the freeway.
And i have personally had the pleasure of using this service allready,a tow,to scion, a couple coffees while i waited, and i was on my way.I LIKE THIS.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And i have personally had the pleasure of using this service allready,a tow,to scion, a couple coffees while i waited, and i was on my way.I LIKE THIS.
....and what if it happens when you are 100 miles from anywhere?? you will
be spending a longer time beside the road waiting before you get to the couple
cups of coffee and back on your way. Unless you never plan on going out of
the city? But, to each his own....

·
Registered
584 Posts
My car will never be more than 20 minutes from home. Road side service is all I need. In my 32 years of driving on many cars I might have had 2 flats. So few and long ago I can't truly remember them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thats what I said earlier, if you are not gonna do any road trips of any size, then
I wouldn't concern myself with it either..... But, if you are, then all it takes is ONE
time to make you wish you had a jack and a spare.....(Murphys law....)

It's the same with me too, my spare will stay in my garage if all I'm doing are short,
local jaunts (plus there wouldn't be enough room for both the spare tire and my
golf cart and clubs)....

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
....and what if it happens when you are 100 miles from anywhere?? you will
be spending a longer time beside the road waiting before you get to the couple
cups of coffee and back on your way. Unless you never plan on going out of
the city? But, to each his own....
im very patient and allways have physics and evolution literature in my car,i will read,maybe look on this forum with nmy phone,and if it happens to or from work,i got a great government job that will pay me for any of that time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts